Straightened natural hair, 2 1/2 years since the last relaxer

mg1979

So I straightened my natural hair so that I could trim & see now that I'm 100% natural how straight I could get my hair. It’s been 2 and ½ years since my last relaxer and one year since my last flat iron. I washed with Mizani Thermasmooth Shampoo, d/c’d with heat for 45 minutes with Mizani Thermasmooth Conditioner, left in overnight, rinsed. Applied the Lanza Healing Moisture Noni Fruit Detangler, Lanza Healing Smooth Smoother Straightening Balm, & Lanza Healing Strength Neem Plant Silk Serum. I air dried 75%, sprayed with Lanza Healing Smooth Thermal Defense Heat Styler, and blow dried the rest. I flat ironed with Chi flat iron adding Lanza Neem Plant Serum as needed throughout, curled with Chi curling iron. I'm pleased to know after all this work to go natural that I can still get my hair this straight. Here are the day 1 pics:

Here are the day 3 pics only applying a little serum to style. I would’ve tried to hold out for 7 days like I did when I straightened when I was still transitioning, but I really wanted to d/c again after my trim.

Last edited:

mg1979

Thanks, ladies! I appreciate the compliments! I can definitely tell that it's way healthier now when straight than it was when I relaxed straight! This definitely helped reinforce the decision to stop relaxing two and half years ago. I was so concerned about the health of my hair and scalp...some people can handle relaxers, but it always caused me more problems. But for so long I didn't think I had a choice! Now I just gotta get my curlier hair regimen down.

mg1979

Congrats! Your hair is beautiful. I'm going to have to get some more lanza products.

Thanks. For straight styles, I have loved Lanza and Mizani. The only reason I haven't tried the Lanza shampoo and condish yet is I had bought the Liter size of the Mizani Thermasmooth shampoo and condish and they lasted much longer than the Mizani Serum & Spritz.

Rose1

Your hair's beautiful, looks like it's relaxed. It's when I see hair like yours that it makes me think that maybe I shouldn't relax again, and just go natural and occasionally straighten my hair instead.

mg1979

Your hair's beautiful, looks like it's relaxed. It's when I see hair like yours that it makes me think that maybe I shouldn't relax again, and just go natural and occasionally straighten my hair instead.

Thanks...that may be one of the best compliments I've ever received! If you decide to go natural, just always remind yourself that it may take awhile before you reap the benefits of your hard work. There were definitely many lows before I got to this high!

Rose1

Thanks...that may be one of the best compliments I've ever received! If you decide to go natural, just always remind yourself that it may take awhile before you reap the benefits of your hard work. There were definitely many lows before I got to this high!

You're welcome mg1979!

You're right if I do decide to go natural, it's going to take a lot of patience to get the results I want. If only I'd discovered LHCF before relaxing in summer 2009, I'd probably have stayed natural and experimented more with my natural hair (not just kinky twist with and without extensions and box braids with extensions) as there are so many great hairstyle and tips here.