Stop trimming

kking7777

I have found that my hair grows at a very good rate. However, I trim it myself and loose the length that I have acheived. I see a lot of you ladies do something called dusting. How do you do that without wanting to give your hair a really good trim? I was also wondering do you notice a BIG difference in the length you retain from dusting compared to trimming?

UmSumayyah

I mostly have my hair in protective styles, I do trim individual hairs when I notice a split end. My hair is growing well and it hardly ever sees a pair of scissors. I plan to get a professional trim at the end of November. I think I will plan on getting them twice a year.
BTW, nice to see you around again.

kking7777

Nice to see you too!!!! I think I will go for twice a year as well. Or maybe once a year if I could only keep my ends looking good without regular trims.

I also should add that I hate my hair right after I trim it but I like it about a month later because it grows back so healthy. Any of you ladies can vouch for that too?

pebbles

Hey kking, good to see you!

I dust my ends and I don't feel tempted to trim it. Truth be told, I'm always trying to avoid using the scissors on my hair at all.
I think it's true that a good trim does make your hair look nice, and when it starts to grow out again, it looks nice and even and fuller, no doubt about that.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Welcome back!
I just wanted to tell you that my aunt loves your wrapping photos. They have helped her and my cousins a lot!

zanna

Hi kking7777

Glad to see you! I know exaclty what you are talking about! sometime I am seating there with the sissors ready to snip the ends, and I wait and wait thinking about how long I waited to have that inch, that I cut in the past, back(2 months, that's a long time!) Then reason take over the temptation of cutting. So for now I won't trim for a while, I dust now, and it doesn't any of my lengh away. When you dust you just cut EACH split or damaged end, that's all. Your hair lenght stays.
Sincerely
Zanna

C

Cami

I did my touchup yesterday and trimmed my hair right after. I always trim 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch after each touchup. Although the ends may not be split or damamged, I do this to maintain the eveness and fullness as it grows out. I don't feel bad about doing it either. It's part of the maintenance and in the end, it should continue to grow out healthy and full. I feel that even though you may not have split ends or damage, it's good to trim every now and then to maintain the fullness and eveness (is eveness a real word??)

Isis

I want to see what happens since I'm not trimming at all. I see others on this board with long beautiful hair who don't trim.

Aerie17

Since joining the board, I have not trimmed. My hairdresser used to trim after every touch-up, but over the last three months, since I have stopped using heat as often (virtually never over the last 2 months or so), and am taking better care of my hair (obsessive, really) she has not seen the need! I am however, not averse to having my ends trimmed, perhaps twice a year vs the 10 times a year I have had done previously...once every 5 weeks.

LABETT

I am only trimming my ends occasionally or when needed I only get a professional trim about twice a year.

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
kking7777 said:

Isis, who are the non trimmers on the board?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a trim at my last touch-up (4 wks ago) but I hadn't had one before that in about three or four months. I'm planning on only trimming 3-4xs a year. I had dusted my ends myself, though in those 3-4 mths, but not getting a trim at every touch-up has definitely helped me keep a good amount of hair on my head.

PS Glad to see you back!

MissM

I have stopped w/the major trims also-don't really see the need to. Other than cutting the "V" out I don't touch the other sections. I do have to admit that I do miss that nice even line. I am hoping that by Jan, which is when I had my last trim, that my sides will be more even with the back. My hair also grows very slowly, so I can't afford to get regular trims. Reg trimming would just maintain my length.

Cres81

I was dusting my ends during the summer on a need basis. I am now getting trims about every other relaxer which is about 4-5 months for me and I dust if needed in between!