Stinky hair and cowashing

Napp

Ms. Nobody
ive been cowashing every day for a week or so and i have micro braids with my real hair. recently my hair smells bad like it was never washed. is it becase of the braids? im using VO5 moisture milks and silky experiences. i dont usally co wash but since my roots are controlled with the braids I get a curly look w/no fuss so i dont want to take them out.

CurliDiva

Hi Napp,

Are you letting your braids dry completely in between each wash?

I've never expereinced stinky braids before, but maybe the extension hair is not drying and causing the problem. :ohwell:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i didnt put in extension hair. its micro braids w/ my real hair only. i pat out moisture w/a microfiber towel and let it air dry. while its drying it smells awful but when its dry it dosent smell as strong. it used to smell like strawberries or what ever conditioner i used. now it just smells like scalp oils.

Tamrin

unapologetic
are you simply co- washing and not using Shampoo? You need to use Shampoo at least once a week. Are you using any other products in your hair for moisture because something else could be contributing to the smell. I have used the VO5 strawberry conditioner before to co wash and it stinks in my hair. You may want to also try another conditioner. Sometimes some people's body chemistry does not go well with fruit smells. For me VO5 strawberry moisture milk smells like wet paper bag.

discodumpling

^^ Cosigning. Just wash 'em. Clarify then DC if you need to & Switch up your conditioners. Be careful of protein overload...both your conditioners are rich in light proteins.

JustKiya

I'm not a shampoo user, but yeah, I'd say go with a little shampoo - maybe diluted, and get it into your hair. I suspect that because it's braided, there are areas that the cowash just can't get fully into and fully clean..... :yep:

Forever in Bloom

are you simply co- washing and not using Shampoo? You need to use Shampoo at least once a week. Are you using any other products in your hair for moisture because something else could be contributing to the smell. I have used the VO5 strawberry conditioner before to co wash and it stinks in my hair. You may want to also try another conditioner. Sometimes some people's body chemistry does not go well with fruit smells. For me VO5 strawberry moisture milk smells like wet paper bag.

Yeah, you gotta watch your hair with this particular product - it causes crazy buildup in my hair, so I make sure not to get it on my scalp when I co-wash. It's being phased out of my routine actually.