Co Washing Fine Curly Hair??

I have NEVER EVER co washed before in my entire life. My hair is fine well the crown is thicker. How do I work this? lol Like can I co wash instead of pre pooing?? Should I wash with a sulfate free shampoo one week then the next week co wash?? My hair gets product build up easily. Do you still dc after cowashing? Pre poo before cowashing?? Cleanse hair with a sulfate free shampoo wait a few days then cowash?? Please help and excuse my ignorance.

Kinky4Agirl

I'm like you. I never co washed until recently and I didn't like it. My hair felt too clean and dry and I wasn't dc after because I was on my way to work. I thought cowashing was to be done in between my regular weekend routine. I'm interested in seeing other responses as well..

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
I have fine hair but I really don't get buildup. I cowashed only for an entire year, daily in the summer weekly the rest of the year. I did my full routine including protein treatments and moisturizing deep conditioning sessions. If I felt that I needed a deeper clean or if a new product didn't agree with my scalp, I added a little bentonite clay to my conditioner. Some people still shampoo and do midweek cowashes, some cowash exclusively. You can use a regular conditioner or a cleansing cowash. Since you're prone to build up I would say use a cleansing cowash or shampoo monthly or biweekly depending on how your hair feels.

girlonfire

I have fine hair. I cowashed for a long time but I'm also lowpo. but I dont do that much anymore, then again I dont wash my hair much anymore for lack of time.

faithVA

I have to get rid of this co wash smt.
What cowash did you buy? You may be over thinking it. A formulated cowash may be similar to a creamy shampoo so it may work for you just fine. Aot of ladies cowash with regular conditioner which can lead to more build up but a formulated cowash should have cleansing g agents in it leading to better results.

Depending on which one you bought you may be able to use it weekly and just shampoo once a month.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
If your current regimen is working, I say continue doing it. Not everything discussed on the forum needs to be added to your regimen.

I'm a fine 4b natural and I personally have been co-washing for 10+ years. For the past 2 years I've been co washing daily and shampooing with DC twice a week. IMO, co- washing is for added moisture, not a substitute for cleansing the scalp and hair. I think that's probably why I'm not a fan of "cleansing conditioners". Any regular instant conditioner should be adequate for co-washing.

happycakes

Thank you for this post. BTW, your hair is beautiful!

If your current regimen is working, I say continue doing it. Not everything discussed on the forum needs to be added to your regimen.

I'm a fine 4b natural and I personally have been co-washing for 10+ years. For the past 2 years I've been co washing daily and shampooing with DC twice a week. IMO, co- washing is for added moisture, not a substitute for cleansing the scalp and hair. I think that's probably why I'm not a fan of "cleansing conditioners". Any regular instant conditioner should be adequate for co-washing.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Cowashing doesn't really work for me. It causes build-up on my scalp if I do it too often. Which is weird cause water rinsing doesn't seem to bother my scalp.

I was thinking about trying cream of nature cowashing cleanser. It's supposed to be conditioning like a conditioner and cleansing like a gentle shampoo.

charmtreese

I have fine 4b natural hair and the only time co-washing worked for me was when I was relaxed and using WEN. Co-washing my natural hair never worked regardless of the product or the method used. Having fine hair for me means keeping manipulation to a minimal so mid week co-washing is out.

To echo another poster up thread, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Is your current regimen not working or are you just looking to try something new?

I have fine 4b natural hair and the only time co-washing worked for me was when I was relaxed and using WEN. Co-washing my natural hair never worked regardless of the product or the method used. Having fine hair for me means keeping manipulation to a minimal so mid week co-washing is out.

To echo another poster up thread, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Is your current regimen not working or are you just looking to try something new?

I just wanted to try something new. Now I have 4 products that I have to get rid of.

ajargon02

I don't think it has to be done alternately like one week shampoo and one week cowash. I do it in between washes to keep up my moisture. So I shampoo and deep condition every week. And mid week I cowash. It works for my hair. Summer time I cowash daily.

The only thing I would add is to make sure to throughly cleanse your scalp on shampoo days. One can get scalp build up really quick, especially if this is an issue without co-washing.