St. Ives Hair Repair: Strength and Shine (Review)

Jade21

The full name of this product is St. Ives Hair Repair Strength and Shine Fortifying Reconstructor.

I remember a few people here mentioning this product and were very pleased, so I decided to try it for myself.

This is one which I will be ordering by the carload. THIS IS A FABULOUS DEEP MOISTURIZING CONDITIONER!

What It Says On The Bottle

"Leaves Hair Twice As Strong, Twice As Smooth"

"Strengthening formula fortified with active fruit concentrates and antioxidant vitamins C & E, for stronger, shinier, healthier looking hair."

"For Colored or Permed Hair"

"Directions: After shampooing, apply to wet hair and work throughout. Leave in for two minutes, then rinse with water. For best results, use at least once per week."

Ingredients

Water, ceyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, quaternium-18, stearamidopropyl dmethylamine, glycerin, gelatin/keratin amino acids/lysine hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, PVP, quarternium-80, hydroethylcellulose, oleamine oxide, dimethicone copolyol, steareth-21, dimethicone, glyceryl stearate, citric acid, disodium dimethicone copoloyol sulfosuccinate, DMDM hydantoin, panthenol, oat protein, panthenyl hydroxypropyl, steardimoium chloride, silk amino acids, tocopherol, cinnamidopropyl, trimethylammonium chloride, ascorbic acid, propylene glycol, elder flower extract, evening primrose extract, chamomile extract, sunflower extract, butylene glycol, lemon extract, glucose, fructose, pectin, fragrance.

Price

The suggested retail price is $3.99 for 10oz. That's what I paid at Drugstore.Com

Overall Rating

I would rate this product 10/5. It is utterly awesome and I was so pleased!

Discussion

The smell of the product is delicious. It has a very natural, light fruity smell. You can smell the lemon easily.

My hair is neither colored or permed and I would recommend this to anyone seeking a wonderful deep moisturizing conditioner. In fact, if my hair were severely damaged, I would be tempted to use this as my regular conditioner for a sustained period.

It was strange to me that the product was termed a reconstructor, because, despite the protein content, it left my hair like a sheet of silk. No follow-up moisturizing conditioner necessary. Tremendous detangling, silkening and softening. What I've noticed after using it is that my hair's moisture level is extremely high.

I've left the product on for as little as 5 minutes and as long as 30 minutes with great results.

The consistency of the product is that of a thick cream, not a paste and spreads easily.

I would HIGHLY recommend this product.

It's one of the best conditioners I've used in years. It makes the Clairol Herbal Essence Intensive Blends Conditioning Balm look sick. That's saying a lot because I LOVE that deep conditioner. This product reminds me a lot of an old Clairol product which was a deep conditioner which came in small 4oz jars and kept my hair in great shape. I used to buy those jars by the carload before the product was discontinued. I will be buying loads of this ST. Ives product!

~Jade~

NAY007

yup jade21, i use this one all the time and have been using it since the beginning of the year. the first time i used it i was so surprised at how good it was. then i wanted to buy it again and they didn't sell it anymore at the store. so i ordered about 10 bottles on drugstore.com. it is really a great product. it moisturizes and detangles. i also love the clairol balm but this one is better. i can't think of any conditioner that i have used and had a better result with. i'm gonna order some more soon cause i'm on my last bottle now. in between i would use other conditioners such as dove, suave humectant, herbal essences, but none is as good as this one. maybe the kerastase masque but that one is way too expensive. so i agree with you 100%:)

Nay

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Re: St. Ives Hair Repair: Strength and Shine (Revi

Jade,

I should know better than to read your reviews because you use words like "utterly", "heavenly", and "sheet of silk"

I'm glad you liked it! I wonder if they have samples (said the recovering PJ)

Jade21

Nay,

I remember that you were one of the people that mentioned how good the product was. I am glad that I tried it. No doubt about it.

Have you ever thought about mail-ordering directly from the company..St. Ives aka Alberto-Culver. You can buy a case through them. Recently, I got a case of the Raspberry and Jojoba Conditioner. It's virtually impossible to find locally and it is fantastic.

The company knows that the distribution of the hair products is poor. A case of this product consists of 6 bottles and is $23.76 with postage, handling, everything. Just send a check or money order to : St. Ives, Attn: Customer Relations Department, 2525 Armitage Avenue, Melrose Park, Illinois, 60160. I live in Virginia and the company said to allow 7-10 business days for processing. My order from their warehouse in Pennsylvania came in 4 days.

I don't know for sure on this, but you might check Discount Drugmart They carry some St. Ives products. I found that place after the mail order. They do have some discounts, too. The regular conditioners are only $1.99 there.

~Jade~

JenJen2721

Jade,
I just love reading your reviews.
I'm am so glad you posted this one AND the other one (tingly scalp reconstructor
) because I was considering buying the reconstructor for the scalp stimulation!
I wonder if I can add a bit of peppermint EO to this one instead for the same effect?
Jade, will you be using the reconstructor on your scalp along with this one on your length?

Thanks for sharing!
--Jen

Jade21

Re: St. Ives Hair Repair: Strength and Shine (Revi

Supergirl,

I have to tell you that I wish St. Ives had samples for their hair products. I've only seen coupons for the body washes and the like.

At this point, the best you can do is to get on their mailing list at the site which is St. Ives

I'm glad you liked the review:)

~Jade~

Jade21

Jen,

I'm glad you liked the review. It was a pleasure to write!

You know with the Intensive Conditioner (the mint one), you can get small packets at the drugstore. They are usually right next to the larger bottle. They are really cheap. I would suggest this route rather than spoiling this Strength and Shine. The delicate fruit odor is NICE.

But, I am going to try your suggestion, too. Use the minty one on my scalp, then use Strength and Shine on scalp, length and ends. Great way to use both at the same time

I think if you and I went shopping at that grocery store in your area, we would be hard put to leave after a few hours. Gooooodnesss...so envious that you have such a great selection of St. Ives there!

~Jade~

I really like the Intensive Conditioner & how it tingles on my scalp & lord can i smell that mint in my hair all day, I'm like I wonder if people around me can smell it... but I also wanna try the strength & shine..

NAY007

thanks so much jade21. at drugstore.com i pay 3.99 for a bottle. when i place an order for 49 dollars i don't have to pay for shipping so that's always working for me. but i really appreciate that info you posted.

nay.