Slight confusion over trimming split ends

msbettyboop

I'm planning to trim my hair on Sat using a method I found online called twist and snip. Apparently, you part the hair into sections, twist a section all the way to the end and the hairs that stick out are split ends that should be trimmed. I twisted a section of my hair this evening and while there were split ends sticking out, there was also short strands of hair sticking out of the twisted hair all the way to the roots. Does this mean the entire length of my hair has split ends or something and I need to like cut everything off and start from scratch?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm new to this healthy hair stuff. TIA.

panamoni

OP, do you mean the strands are actually split into two or more strands (e.g. if you took one single strand, it's split like a tree branch), or are your strands just uneven lengths?

Neith

I've never understood that method.

Say that you have BSL length hair...

That doesn't mean that EVERY SINGLE STRAND falls at BSL. Since all of your hairs are constantly shedding and growing back, you're definitely going to have lots of shorter hairs mixed in.

Of course shorter hairs are going to "pop out" It's normal to have lots of shorter hairs that are growing in.

I would only cut if you see actual split ends like Panamoni described :yep:

KrystalClear

That doesn't mean that EVERY SINGLE STRAND falls at BSL. Since all of your hairs are constantly shedding and growing back, you're definitely going to have lots of shorter hairs mixed in.

Of course shorter hairs are going to "pop out" It's normal to have lots of shorter hairs that are growing in.

I would only cut if you see actual split ends :yep:

I agree.
I tried this method, but I still feel like I have had some short ends.
I think the search and destroy method is the best!

msbettyboop

OP, do you mean the strands are actually split into two or more strands (e.g. if you took one single strand, it's split like a tree branch), or are your strands just uneven lengths?

the strands that stick out at the end are split into two or more strands but for the ones that stick out of the twisted hair all the way down to the roots, a only a few look like they are split into two or more strands. does this make sense?

msbettyboop

I would only cut if you see actual split ends like Panamoni described :yep:

That's good to know. I was in the middle of a meltdown just now at the thought of chopping off all my hair :grin:

Neith

the strands that stick out at the end are split into two or more strands but for the ones that stick out of the twisted hair all the way down to the roots, a only a few look like they are split into two or more strands. does this make sense?

Makes sense. The older hair will have more splits than the younger hair...

msbettyboop

I agree.
I tried this method, but I still feel like I have had some short ends.
I think the search and destroy method is the best!

how does this search and destroy method work exactly? Could you describe it please? It sounds like something that requires several hours :)

KrystalClear

how does this search and destroy method work exactly? Could you describe it please? It sounds like something that requires several hours :)

From what I've heard (never done it) It does take a while to do. But it is like it sounds, search for pieces that have the split ends lol. I need a better method myself, that's why I'm in this thread campin out.

Mai Tai

Miss Nigeria-America

Search and Destroy is when you go through your hair, strand by strand, and snip the ends of any hair that has a split end.

It can be very time consuming, and if your hair isn't at least APL, it is very hard to get the hairs on the back of your head.

My method is that I section my hair into about 3 sections on the left side of my head, 3 sections on the right side, 1 section at the top of my head, and the back is left down. I go through each section and snip the ends that are split. I do a mild dusting on the hair in the back. Hope this helps.

HHG!

KrystalClear

Search and Destroy is when you go through your hair, strand by strand, and snip the ends of any hair that has a split end.

It can be very time consuming, and if your hair isn't at least APL, it is very hard to get the hairs on the back of your head.

My method is that I section my hair into about 3 sections on the left side of my head, 3 sections on the right side, 1 section at the top of my head, and the back is left down. I go through each section and snip the ends that are split. I do a mild dusting on the hair in the back. Hope this helps.

HHG!

Do you know of a method for shoulder length hair? I have some different lengths of hair and I tried the 2 strand twist method, which is good if ALL hairs are the same length... but all of my strands are not! =(

hillytmj

I agree that search and destroy is better than the twisting method. I attemped to do that and also found that I have various length of hairs sticking out my twist, but I have no split ends ( due to no direct heat, moisture/seal, etc.)

I'm not sure what type of hair the twisting reggie is good for.