Split Ends and L shaped Bends

Songbirdb

Okay, I'm a non direct heat user, so I would think that I shouldn't have any split ends, but I'm still seeing them. I don't have breakage but I have bad splits and also L shaped bends in my hair.... my strands look like this:

L

But WHY? I'm doing low manipulation, I barely do anything style wise to my hair. My hair should be in perfect condition. Ladies fill me in.​

IntoMyhair

I have this problem also. I don't know what it comes from since i don't use direct heat either. Now i have to cut my hair because my ends are so bad.

Everything Zen

I have this problem also. I don't know what it comes from since i don't use direct heat either. Now i have to cut my hair because my ends are so bad.

Ya'll need to jump in on my Split Ender thread because I think we might have stumbled onto something that might help. :yep:

HappyHairDreams

I have the same problem. I'm trying organix coconut milk split ends mender (with protein) currently to see if maybe it's just a protein problem because I know my ends are moisturized

Songbirdb

Thanks for the invite, I actually just came outta that thread too, but I wanna know the cause of these ends. I wanna know where they stem from and how to prevent them

taylokc

:ohwell::ohwell:I have these too. I don't know how to fix it and I don't use direct heat either. I was thinking about trying Bead Heads Split ender mender and I even posted a thread trying to get reviews on it but nobody responded. I don't know what to do. I tell you one thing Im not clipping ends anymore. I soooo tired of doing that. Everytime I clip them Im at the saaammmmeee length and to me it seems like taking care of my hair is in vein if Im always going to be at the same length. I might even start a thread about that.

Everything Zen

Thanks for the invite, I actually just came outta that thread too, but I wanna know the cause of these ends. I wanna know where they stem from and how to prevent them

How are you wearing your hair on a typical day. They say that you have to be extra careful as it hits shoulder length and slightly beyond that because the hair is more likely to be "sheared" off on the fabric of your clothing.

Everything Zen

:ohwell::ohwell:I have these too. I don't know how to fix it and I don't use direct heat either. I was thinking about trying Bead Heads Split ender mender and I even posted a thread trying to get reviews on it but nobody responded. I don't know what to do. I tell you one thing Im not clipping ends anymore. I soooo tired of doing that. Everytime I clip them Im at the saaammmmeee length and to me it seems like taking care of my hair is in vein if Im always going to be at the same length. I might even start a thread about that.

I've tried that stuff. Again this was back before I knew how to really care for my hair so I can't say for sure if it was a good product. Have you tried Garnier Length and Strength end strengthing serum? Now that product- I like and I really think it did a good job saving my ends.

Songbirdb

I'm a hardcore protective styler. My hair is always up and off my shoulders. Either in my hairzing, or in a phony pony, or cornrolled, something. I only rock protective styles because it seems to be the only thing I can do without heat.

IntoMyhair

How are you wearing your hair on a typical day. They say that you have to be extra careful as it hits shoulder length and slightly beyond that because the hair is more likely to be "sheared" off on the fabric of your clothing.

My thing is I stay in a bun I am now armpit length but i still moisturize and seal everyday. I DC once a week so i really don't no. I am concerned though with the fact that once i cut it all off back to shoulder length how will i stop it from happening again. If i bun every day and do other things the correct way. The cut will be for nothing than.
I will say that i have not dusted or trimmed in a long time.

Everything Zen

My thing is I stay in a bun I am now armpit length but i still moisturize and seal everyday. I DC once a week so i really don't no. I am concerned though with the fact that once i cut it all off back to shoulder length how will i stop it from happening again. If i bun every day and do other things the correct way. The cut will be for nothing than.

That could be the problem. I have yet to try any kind of no trim regimine. I am retaining growth and I get my ends trimmed every 12 weeks but my stylist wants to up it to a serious dusting only maybe every 6 weeks because she knows my hair goals. It takes trust to let someone cut into your hair so often.

caribgirl

I so understand you- I protect my ends every day and hardly ever use heat. I started developing some splits and l shaped ends as well. I am trying to find out why it happened and I think that it could have been that my hair was lacking protein. I decided to relax and I noticed that I don't see as many L shaped ends anymore.
I would rather find the culprit before cutting as that won't totally solve the solution permanently- If the culprit is unknown, your hair will just grow back and may split once more :perplexed.

I could be wrong but how is your protein level?

Ivonnovi

Besides how you wear your hair, I think you should look at what products you're using to comb, or hold your hair/styles in place. Clips are definately not my friend,neither are most hairbands.

IntoMyhair

I so understand you- I protect my ends every day and hardly ever use heat. I started developing some splits and l shaped ends as well. I am trying to find out why it happened and I think that it could have been that my hair was lacking protein. I decided to relax and I noticed that I don't see as many L shaped ends anymore.
I would rather find the culprit before cutting as that won't totally solve the solution permanently- If the culprit is unknown, your hair will just grow back and may split once more :perplexed.

I could be wrong but how is your protein level?

I use a protein dc than a moist dc once a week. My protein is either ors hair mayo or apogee(sp?) 2 minute re constructor. My moist dc is either ntm mask or kenra moisturizing.

IntoMyhair

Besides how you wear your hair, I think you should look at what products you're using to comb, or hold your hair/styles in place. Clips are definately not my friend,neither are most hairbands.

I only comb on wash days. My buns are mostly held in place with a ouchless band.

Sorry to be making all theses replys in someone else's post.

caribgirl

I use a protein dc than a moist dc once a week. My protein is either ors hair mayo or apogee(sp?) 2 minute re constructor. My moist dc is either ntm mask or kenra moisturizing.

When was the last time you did a serious protein treatment?

drasgrl

This is me. The last two days I was trying cut splits and I find more! I don't get it I don't use heat either I don't know why I have so many splits.

IntoMyhair

When was the last time you did a serious protein treatment?

LOL Never. Is that bad? I never felt the need to use one.

Second thought when you say serious are you talking nexxcus products or the hard stuff that breaks your hair if you touch it?

Last edited:

caribgirl

LOL Never. Is that bad? I never felt the need to use one.

Second thought when you say serious are you talking nexxcus products or the hard stuff that breaks your hair if you touch it?

Yup, like keraphixx or the serious Aphogee (that makes your hair hard).

You can read Sistaslick's article regarding protein and moisture and see what your hair needs:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84746

Keep us posted :yep: as I am eager to find out what worked for you!

IntoMyhair

Yup, like keraphixx or the serious Aphogee (that makes your hair hard).

You can read Sistaslick's article regarding protein and moisture and see what your hair needs:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84746

Keep us posted :yep: as I am eager to find out what worked for you!

Is emergencee (sp) good enough? This is the only I use after each touch up. That's the only time.

TIA

I have read the link i nerver thought my hair needed a hardcore protein treatment. I am interested in trying the keraphixx though.

taylokc

I think I might try the Garnier Length and Strength one day. Ive heard alot of people including white girls at school say good things about it. The girl at school cut off 10 inches of hair during the Christmas break. She went from waist length to shoulder length. She said she had to cut off some of her hair because it was too long. Can u imagine??????!!!!!! I saw her today and her hair is growing back already. OH Im sooooo jealous

civic4800

Okay, I'm a non direct heat user, so I would think that I shouldn't have any split ends, but I'm still seeing them. I don't have breakage but I have bad splits and also L shaped bends in my hair.... my strands look like this:

L

But WHY? I'm doing low manipulation, I barely do anything style wise to my hair. My hair should be in perfect condition. Ladies fill me in.​

I have these "L" shaped splits ends also and they include a little white bulb where the 90 degree angle is formed. This article labels it TRICHORREXIS NODOSA which is when the actual hair cortex has swollen and exploded within the shaft. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/286376/split_ends_everything_you_and_your.html?page=2

Trimming may be the only solution...?

sunshinelady

Word has it, having a lot of sugar in your diet can lead to split ends. Can't verify, but for some reason this makes sense. Just an FYI.

Songbirdb

I have these "L" shaped splits ends also and they include a little white bulb where the 90 degree angle is formed. This article labels it TRICHORREXIS NODOSA which is when the actual hair cortex has swollen and exploded within the shaft. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/286376/split_ends_everything_you_and_your.html?page=2

Trimming may be the only solution...?

thanks for the info. this is crazy. I wonder how its happening though... I see those white buds and everything

IntoMyhair

I'm not sure about emergencee as I have never used it. I was just reading Sistaslick's article regarding porosity:

part 1:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/367189/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html

Check out Part 2 as well.

I started doing ACV rinses again to guard against further splits but just like you I wish I could pin-point to cause directly :perplexed.

Thanks I read this link and the other link about split ends at the bottom of the page.

My ends are really bad at first i did not see any splits months back but now i see splits and L's even S's. I think once i get these off i will trim every 4 to 8 weeks and get a bone comb or a real seamless comb.

PinkPebbles

Try a chelating shampoo....and then do a mositurizing deep conditioner.

You may have calcium and mineral deposit build up on your hair strands that's causing your hair to become dry and split.

I tried the ORS chelating poo last week and there was a huge difference in the smoothness of my strands. I shampoo this past sunday again with the ORS and my hair looks even better.

HTH.