Spiral rods

bee

Can someone tell me how to use the spiral rods to create a roller set that's not as tight as the straw set. I was looking at these rods at the bss that were blue and white and for each roller, there was a clip. I couldn't make head nor tails of how to roll my hair and use the clip to keep it in place.
I would like this spiral look for the Thanksgiving holiday, so if any of you ladies could help me ASAP, I would appreaciate it.

BTW, I've been transitioning since Feb. 2003 and I have about 3-4 in. of new growth. I'm not sure about hair typing so I'll describe my hair as THICK, with waves in the front of my hair, coils in the back, and my hair is like thread when I pull a strand to measure my new growth. How would YOU describe that--4b??

C

Cami

I also would like to know how to use these rods because in a few weeks my new growth will be really thick and I want to try this style. Someone please help us!

ccd

i used these rollers about 4 week ago....I loved the outcome but WOW It took about 2 -2 .5 hrs to put in my hair. This was the first time I used them but I started at the bottom of my head...sectioned off about 3in of hair and you have to fasten your hair under the "hook"...(that takes a little work and caution so you don't pull out hair). Then you wrap you hair in the direction of the rods...the blue one go in one direction then the white ones go in the opposite dir.

The drying time for me was 45 mins. which I eas very happy about......I'll be doin't in again when I'm about 10 weeks......to minimize touching my hair.

Oh, also I put S-curl and a light gel on my roots so they would come out smoother...that worked for me.

The style could last about a week, but I was a bit careless so mine "fell" after 5 days.

soslychic

Wow ccd! That turned out great! I've been wanting to know how to do this too. Are their different sizes of these rollers to use? If so, what size did you use?

bee

Wow, ccd! You are going to have to demonstrate this process step-by-step. Your hair looks really great.

AnjelLuvs

I am still not understanding how to put them on I am sitting here just looking at the blue and white rods

L

ladybug

yeah ccd your hair looks great with the rod style...what type/brand of rods did you use?

ccd

Oh wow ladies...thanks!!!!! soulchild, ladybug, chic,.....thanks so much!...well the type of rods I have are called Diane's spiral rods, I got them from a beauty st. .. I use .large (5/8 in) they have small and medium. They come in a pack of 12..6 white and 6 blue.

Angel: do your rods have an end with a small "hook" on it...that's were you slip your hair under at the root. Then you hold the rod with one hand and twist your hair around with the other. Hope that makes sense.

I first decided where I wanted my part to be, (on the side for me) then I sectioned my hair in 4 . I started at the bottom left side of my head and at the nape of my neck. I made small square (as best as I could) sections ...almost as if you were going to do box braids. and I proceed from there. I did the bottom half first, then went to the top.

I've had these rods for over 2 years but I never could figure out how to use them myself...but then I saw Carmela's ( a LHCF member's ) hair and I was inspired...

I hope that made sense...if you have more questions definitely shout me out....

ccd

I would say around 35-40 rods, next time though I may make the sections a little bigger

PS. everyone: After my hair was dry, I did strectch out my roots a bit, mainly in the front because my hair is shorter there. I positioned my fingers in my roots then I turned on the blower to gentle strectch sections

KinksnCurlz

BUMP!
I just LOVE this thread. CCD, you definately have me inspired. I'm gonna try these. BTW, are the blue and white spiral rods the same as these http://fc2k.metrobeauty.com/showitem.cfm?catnum=97&parentcatnum=6&itemnum=506

Also, CCD, what products did you use to set your hair? I have John Frieda's Dream Curls, Motions Foam Wrap and Keracare Setting Lotion... but i'd really like to know what you used and if your hair was hard afterwards or did you have a head full of soft curls... AND lastly, my hair is not as long as yours but i really would like my set to be small, should i get the small size or get the medium size and break them apart? TIA.

AnjelLuvs

CaramelHonee, be careful because it is not as eays as it seems. I have given up because I just cant seem to get these things to work

KinksnCurlz

I would never attempt this alone... i'd kill somebody
. I'm going to have my girlfriend do it for me. It'll take a long time but hey, i'm going to do her weave so we're even

ccd

Yeah sorry I didn't think this was the same post!! Ok Let's see..I was about 9 weeks post so I put Rusk leavein, S-curl gel and moisturizer on the roots. Then mousse on the ends ( finesse soft hold) my hair tend to get crunchy sometimes so i didn't want to ise setting lotion. They came out soft but firm ( hope that makes sense) and it held up nicely for 5 days but then I was "horsing around" and they fell, so I put them in a ponytail.

And yes, be careful and more importantly patient 'cause I had to be calm with the "hook thingy"...I would also suggest wearing gloves if at all possible because my nails where sore after holding onto the hook and slipping the hair underneath/ot just be very careful. It does get easier once you get into a rountine.

As far as the size...well we look like we have the same length and the smaller the rollers the less hair you put in it so the more rollers you need...do you want straw sized spirals or marker sized? ( the mediums worked for me- its a little bigger than marker but that the only thing I could think of)
I hope that helped a bit and please don't hesitate to PM/ shout me out!!! I want to see pics when you are done!!!!

KinksnCurlz

Thanks CCD... about the rods, i want the straw size. Also, i just go a relaxer, do you think i would need to gel the roots just for additional shine? lastly, how does the hair 'stay' at the bottom of the rod?
BTW, ur soft but firm made perfect sense

ccd

Hey girl...well since you got a relaxer recently I don't think you would need gel at the roots, unless you wanted extra firm hold.....since i was 9 weeks plus I needed a little extra support. For shine I woud use a serum (maybe), my rollerset comes out smooth and shiny with that... and the rod should come with a small circular piece/clip that contours to the rods. I found that I could turn it up from the bottom of the rod up to the end of my hair. If that was to much turning i.e in the front of my hair where my hair is shorter, there was more rod than hair, i would "pop" the clip in carefully. (I hope that helps)
PS!!!! I love that photo in " I just did an amazing....." thread how in the...well I already asked in the other thread...i'll check later
Love it...

KinksnCurlz

You had me all the way up until "...contours 2 the rod"

What's confusing to me is that I've never actually 'seen' the rod up close, would u happen to have a pic of them that you could post for a sista? Please, pretty please, with sugar and chocolate on top

bee

So, ccd, the clips that come w/ the rods are what hold the hair in place? You just clip it onto the end of the rod?

ccd

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
You had me all the way up until "...contours 2 the rod"

What's confusing to me is that I've never actually 'seen' the rod up close, would u happen to have a pic of them that you could post for a sista? Please, pretty please, with sugar and chocolate on top

[/ QUOTE ]

That;s funny....I would love to post a pic but I can't figure out how you guys do that ( in your sigs) Lets see hmmm, ok you know the magnetic rollers and the covers they sometimes come with? Well, these come with a very small version....it's ring size and it swirls around the rod at the very end....Let me see if I can find a pic on the internet...i'll be back

ccd

[ QUOTE ]
bee said:
So, ccd, the clips that come w/ the rods are what hold the hair in place? You just clip it onto the end of the rod?

[/ QUOTE ]
YES

bee

I'm good. Thanks, ccd. I plan on trying this when my daughter is presented into society, this Saturday.

bee

Just to review: Slide hair thru loop in the roller, wind hair around the spirals, clip the end and you're done?

Can this be done on dry hair if u sit under a dryer after you've misted the hair a little?

GodMadeMePretty

Glad you did that rundown bee because I still wouldn't have been able to do it. I don't have any blue and white rods but I do have a bunch of white ones that I bought from Gold Medal. I always wondered what that loop was for at the top. And I didn't get that from the instructions before (couldn't figure out where the "hook" was). You ladies are great!!! NOW I can go home, wash my hair and try to do this with 31 weeks of new growth.
I'm not sure my hair will fit underneath the loop. I may just be doing a spiral set with my Caruso rollers after rollersetting and flatironing.