Spinoff: Why do you wear "fake" hair?

P

patient1

Not everyone weaves, wigs, or extends for the same reasons. Just thought those of us who do, occasionally or all the time, could share why. This is in no way a Justify My Weave thread. LOL!!

In my case, I'd have to say I use braid/twist extensions for time management. Since I do hair, my own hair is my main canvas. I could have a perfectly good set of two-strand twists in and then take them out and change them into something else. Doing hair is meditative as well. I do a lot of productive thinking during the rote movement of braiding, twisting, etc. But, it wastes time I need to free to paint, write, do other folks hair, read. It also cuts down on the manipulation that comes with me styling my own hair.

My kinky weave client had at least bsl relaxed hair. She wanted to completely change her look and not have to do her own hair.

I think JenMD posted recently about phony ponies being for longhaired ladies too.

What's your motivation?

p1

I originally started wearing OPH (other people's hair) :lachen: when I joined the Hide Your Hair Challenge. Before joining the group, I would have NEVER thought I would be wearing phony ponies and wigs. So, it started off as just part of the challenge. But now I'm transitioning, so it will continue until I BC and decide to wear my hair out.

I do because before LHCF the top of my hair was NEVER more than about 3 inches. Seriously!! My back could be armpit, and it'd be that short! STILL don't know why, cuz it's still pretty short... My point is: I can never achieve the thickness my hair should promise without some tracks at the top when out, or one inside my low bun. It'll be full vertically, but bun is pitiful horizontally :( !! I don't wear it for more length or for no reason, thought!! Thought about a sew-in, but after all the money I've spent on hair stuff in the last month, I wish I would use this stuff on somebody else's hair :lol: !!

I wear my phonypony bun because it is quick and easy and I don't have time to deal with my hair. Plus it is less manipulation too.

Softresses

I wear falls and phony ponies because they are very convenient, I think for the most part they look professional, and I don't have to damage my hair with heat.

I am however worried that people can tell that the falls and phony ponies are fake:perplexed

I have never worn any, but I would love to! I would love to find a nice phony pony that matched my hair color and texture so I could hide my hair. I am trying my first 16-week stretch and I would like to tuck my hair away during that time. It just seems like it would be so hard to find something to match my now henna-red, dark-brown hair. I don't wanna hi-jack the thread, so if anyone has any suggestions please PM me.;)

In a word:laziness. Sometimes me and my denman brush need a temporary separation because detangling and styling can be annoyingly time consuming at times. I do enjoy styling my hair but honestly, I tend to read more, work out more, and take care of other aspects of myself when I'm in braids. If I didn't have a break, I'd be tempted to loc, cut my hair short or get a relaxer in all honesty. I revert back to braid extensions at least twice a year because it's so much easier to deal with than my natural hair. And despite dryness issues, I still get great length retention in braids. And actually I think I look best in braids (at least as I detect judging by the reaction I get from others).

I wear falls and wigs. I have worn weaves in the past, but I don't think I would go back there as a long term protective style.

Besides the fact that OPH protects my own, I like that I can change my looks, quickly and easily.

I can get styles that I want without full color, hairspray, highlights or heat. I like that I can wear "my hair" down without wearing my hair down.

And if I want a shorter hairstyle I don't have to come near a pair of scissors.

That being said, in times past, I had gotten lazy. I found myself takaing better care of OPH than my own.

Right now, my ends could use more TLC. That's why I came to LHCF. I don't just want length anymore, I want overall health for my hair.

I wear fake hair because lately I've been lazy.:lol: It also helps with my protective styling. Im at that akward hair length :ohwell:

i wore some down my back to shoulder length to braids and kornrows and dangonit i love 'em all!

:look: but the phonys and buns are..well i dunno yet

i think ill like the afro ones those... cannt wiat until my hair long enough for me to put it in a afro puff

Nothing naps up like pressed hair and exercise in 90 degree weather:lol: The short wigs let me look professional after a morning workout when I started wearing them years ago. Then I got lazy and my wig to the rescue again. Then I got professionally balded - here comes the wig again.
Now my wig and I are together again because I don't want to cut my hair - the wig is short and I get compliments about how good my hair looks!!!

I do it to save time, to change my look, and to protect my own delicate hair. I workout regularly, so if I wear my own hair, I am pretty much limited to pony puffs, buns, and wash n go's. That can get really boring.

I usually go through phases. I will wear my own hair for months, want a change, and then wear OPH for months.

I wear oph because i am so busy. I am college and time management is a problem for me and also i am so style challenged it is ridiculous. So i wear braids year round be it with oph or my own.

I believe in the saying of never say never. Being someone who turned their nose up slightly to someone with fake hair, I have to say that my braids now being in my hair for only one week, are loose, about to come out, but none the less they are protecting my hair from the elements of me and the weather. This past weekend, I put a drawstring ponytail in my 8 year old daughter's hair. Of course she loves it and the reason I did it was because her relaxed hair is not like it once was. It is now breaking off and chewed up thanks to hers and her father's poor manipulation of managing relaxed hair. (Long story) Anyway, I hope it will protect her ends and minimize her hand playing in hair syndrome. As far as my braids go, I don't think I will make it until the new year. I am really feeling kinky twists on other women. I think they are more expensive though than these individuals I got. Maybe I will have to take a trip down to P1 land, and have her hook me up. I could use a vacation:lol:

ncarter72 said:
I believe in the saying of never say never. Being someone who turned their nose up slightly to someone with fake hair, I have to say that my braids now being in my hair for only one week, are loose, about to come out, but none the less they are protecting my hair from the elements of me and the weather. This past weekend, I put a drawstring ponytail in my 8 year old daughter's hair. Of course she loves it and the reason I did it was because her relaxed hair is not like it once was. It is now breaking off and chewed up thanks to hers and her father's poor manipulation of managing relaxed hair. (Long story) Anyway, I hope it will protect her ends and minimize her hand playing in hair syndrome. As far as my braids go, I don't think I will make it until the new year. I am really feeling kinky twists on other women. I think they are more expensive though than these individuals I got. Maybe I will have to take a trip down to P1 land, and have her hook me up. I could use a vacation:lol:

Come on down!! Seriously, December would work. I'll hook you up. Your hair is probably growing out of those braids already. I don't know anyone, besides Lil Miss Z, whose hair grows as fast as yours. I'm doing my hair over into twists this weekend since I know how to do them without the braided roots now. I did them on Z. I'll have to post pics so you can see.

p1

Honestly, I started wearing various sorts of fake hair when I was about 14-15. It started entirely just as me being creative and making ponytails, collecting wigs etc. I have a bit of ADD when it comes to hair styles and I like a big variety.

Cut to 15 years later and at the root of it (no pun intended) I still wear ponyfalls, wigs, hair pieces or whatever else catches my fancy because I like it. I like the idea that I can have a purple bob today, jet black Cleopatra tomorrow, braids, giant anime ponyail in bright colors or whatever else I can come up with as quick as I can make it or buy it.

It wasn't until the last two yars or so that I realized I was actually doing my hair some good by not constantly dying, bleaching, relaxing, using way too much heat and otherwise beating on my hair.

Everytime someone asks me if my hair is "mine" I have the same answer: "Hell yeah it is I've got a receipt in my purse."

And then I go on about my day.

I wear phony ponies for total ease of styling mostly, and protection. The best part is there is no commitment involved with the ponies, so it’s a win-win! :up:

i've been wearing fake hair for years just to have lenght..and different hair styles. I didn't take care of my hair back then but always had the latest styles,

Now I wear it for protective styling. My hair is very healthy underneath and is growing to where i may not wear the instant weaves anymore or maybe less come next summer.

fake hair has helped me out.

My phony pony is used to hide my baggie. I can't go to work or outside my home walking around with a sandwich bag wrapped around the bun on top of my head so the fake pony is a cover up.

Last edited:
Back