Spinoff to Magical product post: PJ's, Are you looking for the HOLY GRAIL?

melodee

Hey guys,
Wanthealthyhair's thread about her friend and the hair product search got me thinking...how many of us are still looking for THAT ONE oil, vit, or conditioner that will be like the HG of all hair products?

The basic idea of a PJ is someone who is "addicted" to obtaining personal care products. Why? Because we are looking for something that is going to sweep us off our feet. We often find things that work well for us...but why do we keep looking?

I am too cheap to be a true PJ. But if I weren't so cheap, I'd be one because I'm passionate about finding some kind of liquid gold for my hair. Now, that said, I can also add that this year I am less stressed about finding that product in 2006 after I sampled about 15 products last year that just didn't do all they claimed to do.
Thank God for you ladies--you often steer me away from really bad choices.

But anyway:

Who has found their HG?
Who is STILL looking for the HG?
Who would like to testify that one product alone is responsible for incredible difference in the length or health of their hair?

An "on the verge" PJ wants to know!!! :lol:

I used to be a PJ. Who am I kidding? I still am :D Well........ to an extent. I have purchased many recommended products this board has raved about. However, I think it is how you are caring for your hair that really matters: CO washes, protective styling, baggie technique, et cetera. Normally, I would relax my hair every 8 weeks, but now I try to stretch the time and I feel a difference.

CO washes are the bomb and are helping my new growth. Deep conditioning twice a week really helps me out too! Okay, I am rambling, you got my point :p

I forgot to tell you, your hair is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm looking for one in terms of styling but not in terms of length or growth. I thought I found one with Mixed Chicks but something in it gave me a rash. I want something I can use for wash n goes, that will allow my coils to seperate, be springy and have a lil movement AND for twists with out having to mix it with something else. Most items are too heavy or too oily or too light to be used for both. I've had some products come close and I have some things on the way I will try out to see how they work.

my HG method is the baggy method. It does not really matter what products i use as long as i dont shamppoo too often and deep condition and use protein, but bagging is definatly the shhhh. It really protects ur ends, I do it all the time.

yes......I am in search of the Holy Grail of all products...ahir care, skin care, carpet care, kitchen appliances, pda's..you get the picture....?
I'm that idiot sitting up late nights look at shopathome.com WAITING for something good to buy...it is an addiction. I say this b/c my hubby and I have serious discussion about "you always buy this...blah blah ..." and ergardless of wheter or not I say .."OK..I'll cut it out"...(and sometimes I REALLY mean it) I find myself purchasing more....even when I have used the other stuff.
Cae in POint....a few years back, I bought a hnad help carpet cleaner....a month or two later, I upgraded to a full sized (easier) by Bissell...but Oreck came out with something new 3 months later, and I bought that one. Now, it wouldn't be so bad if I used them, but as sson as the carpet looks crazy to me, I'm calling COIT carpet cleaners!!
Now I DOOOOO use the hand held when there are little boo boo's or spots, but ther rest of that stuff is hard......
I buy things b/c I MIGHT need it...rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.....(going to the BSS now...):p ..no ...seriously

I guess now that I am a natural, I am searching for the holy grail moisturizer,detangler,shampoo,and conditoner. I found that most of the "holy grails" that worked for me when I relaxed don't work now. I guess that I will continue to be a "PJ" untill I found something that works.

If anybody knows anything that is good for a 4a/b natural, let me know! ;)

i have 3c/4a hair and i'm natural.

i think i have found my holy grails.

Shampoo:

Organic oils multipurpose liquid castille soap (www.thechemistrystore.com)
Saloncare shampoos(sally's beauty supply)

Conditioner:
Saloncare conditioners
Curecare conditioner(sally's beauty supply)
DDTA/DDWL

Deep conditioner:
Dominican cocktail of miss keys 10 en 1, rivas silicon mix and energencia
Queen Helene super cholesterol treatment(for extra dry/damaged hair)

Oils:
Castor oil (pre-poos/ends treatments)
Pomace b olive oil
Palm oil
Coconut oil
occassionally rosemary oil diluted in sweet almond oil
using up the last of my apricot kernel oil

Protein:

Jherri Rhedding's 100% natural protein conditioner

Things i use for daily spritz and add to products for extra kick:
glycerin
liquid aloe vera
honey
eo

Hope my list can help someone else out.

I have found products that for the most part work for me

Elucence shampoo (both regular and clarifying), unrefined shea butter, carrier oils like jojoba, almond and avocado. However when it come to conditioners I have to admit I have a problem.:( I have like 10 conditioners- some are for deep condish and some others are for reg and my spritzes. I can't help it- Case in point- today I was in the 50% isle @ Walgreens and stumbled upon paves deep conditioning cream half off. You know what happened next. Oh well-some ppl collect coins, others stamps, me...conditioners.;) Other than my conditioner fixation, the Elucence, shea and carrier oils I consider to be my best finds.

Brownsugar, you ARE a junkie! And I bet you got the cleanest carpets in town.

Carameldiva- thank you, I would like to try some of your suggestions.

Guys,
do you think there is a magic potion out there somewhere that will miraculously solve all your hair needs. Like a growth serum, or a vitamin no one has tried yet.

I ask, cause we all seem to jump on bandwagons alot ( myself included.)

Thank you for starting this thread.... I think the word PJ has a really bad stigma attached to it. Especially when you are a newbie, you NEED to keep buying products to find what is right for you. And especially since "everything doesn't work the same on everyone," you can't expect someone to only stick to products raved here and stick with them b/c everyone says it so good and then other people saying how bad it is to be a product junkie.

For me, I hated jumping on bandwagons and buying every raved product left and right. But when my hair became underprocessed and tangled, I HAD to look at what was working for everyone else and try things out. I would try one product and it would only make my hair worse. Then try another and another. Now I have a couple (4/5) of conditoners that my hair HATES and that other people RAVED about (i.e. silicon mix, NTM mask, lustrasilk cholesterol, etc).

My roommates accused me of being addicted to products and believing hype they put on the packaging, but that wasn't the case at all. I just couldn't find a conditioner that detangled my hair and left it moisturized the way CON poo does. So why am I only gonna settle for dry, tangled hair when being on this board I know I don't have to??? Moreover, I will never "settle" when it comes to my hair. If I know I can do better, I WILL find better.

And... now THANK GOD I found ORS Replenishing Pak. I always ignored the little hype that was around it, but now... I have OFFICIALLY stopped looking for a good HG DC. And now, after so long, my regimen can be a little more complete. :yay: It has taken so long because I never just "give up" on products. I hate to waste, so I always keep giving them a chance before looking for another one. AND I do TONS of research b4 buying something.

These products definitely seem to be HG worthy for my hair:

Fantasia IC Tea Tree Shampoo
CON poo
Porosity Control Conditioner
The Original Nexxus Keraphix --- :( Definitely a staple from the start
Nexxus Emergencee
ORS Pak
NTM leave-in
Jojoba Oil
Surge (for various reasons other than quick growth)
MTG (definitely for growth)
Lacio Lacio

These products will always stay in my rotation. Now I just have to find a good relaxer and conditioner for Co washes.... I think. :look: Oh and a good flat iron too.

Last edited:
I think there maybe a product out there but not one product for everybody. I know that I noticed today that Jojoba oil seems to be in just about every growth product I've seen or heard of. So I'm starting to think that maybe the one product that if we all used it consistently, no stop, we would all see a difference. I think because it keeps the sebum from being clogged, it would allow us to see more growth each month. Not sure but just a thought....

When I was younger my hair routine use to be much simpler but my hair didn't suffer from it. I used one cheap moisturizing shampoo, one cheap moisturizing conditioner, and one leave-in conditioner. Occasionally I used a light oil or lekair to deep condition. For whatever reason as I got older certain products stop working on my hair and it has been a struggle ever since to stay moisturized.

So I am looking for the Holy Grail shampoo, one that will detangle and moisturize. Keracare came close but no conditioner will work on my hair after using it.

Looking for the HG conditioner. I am 90% happy with Kendra. But I need to re-moisturize within two days of using it.

Looking for the HG leave-in. Tried a crap load of products. I like Biologe leave-in for the slip and detangle of wet hair, but not as a moisturizer.

:)On a positive note, I think I found my oil. Someone suggested almond or grapeseed oil. I tried them both and they're great. Both oils are reasonably priced and they don't weigh down my hair too much.

PrettyHaitian said:
I used to be a PJ. Who am I kidding? I still am :D Well........ to an extent. I have purchased many recommended products this board has raved about. However, I think it is how you are caring for your hair that really matters: CO washes, protective styling, baggie technique, et cetera. Normally, I would relax my hair every 8 weeks, but now I try to stretch the time and I feel a difference.

CO washes are the bomb and are helping my new growth. Deep conditioning twice a week really helps me out too! Okay, I am rambling, you got my point :p

I agree with you. I used to try to buy all the bandwagon products adn now I have a closets and bathrooms full of products that I will never use.

I have actually found my product staples and I am sticking with what works, but I don't have any grow-hair-fast options so I am just letting nature do her thing.

My hair may not be growing at M-T-G speeds, but I am retaining new growth which is a blessing.

My HG is trying to find a product that will aid in repairinig my hair(damaged ends, split ends, thin hair, unevenness)...im not really concerned with having hair BSL i am more with concentrating on getting my hair healthy at any length...my idea would now even be bob/chin length...I have been doing better this year i dont think i have visited a BSS since the year started and if so its been only to pick up weave hair...for shopping online ive only brought the DE relaxer and brought another jar of the Lenzis Request to give that a try again....but other than that..i have really cut back on my spending and im really really proud of myself...because i dont jump up and go purchase products anymore like i use to last year...im more trying to use the products that i have....and believe me i have alot of products....

I admit that I am a PJ and I make no apologies for it! I'm always trying to find the latest greatest thing! Something in me drives me to always try different products, I do have staples that I stick to but I LOVE having options...but I'm that way in every aspect of my life!

It's good to attend LHCF meet and greets so that you can swap products. It helps me unload the stuff that didn't work for me and every once in a while I'll find a true gem.

Thank God i've found my Holy Grail of products

MSM, SILICA, FlAXSEED OIL
Sulfur oil
Solera Hair Nutrient formula
Coconut oil
AO/VO5/herbal essences Conditioners
Homemade moisturisers

Back