*SPINOFF* Phytorelaxer and Hair color

teerama

Hot Mama!
Okay, I think I am finally succumbing to the raves about Phyto. Problem is that the website says it should not be used on hair that has been bleached. I am hoping to put highlights in my hair this spring (it will be the first time in 3 years) and I do not want my hair to fall out. After all, you ladies have helped me get where I am today after years of struggle.

Do any of you current Phyto users have highlights or some sort of bleached/peroxided strands???

TIA

Nice

Sorry that I don't have an answer for you Teerama. I just wanted to say :wave:!!!
I want to get highlights this summer too but I put a black rinse in my hair September 2004 and it looks like it's not going anywhere :mad:

teerama

Hot Mama!
Hey Nice!!! Long time no hair from (corny joke, I know)

Your hair is beautiful by the way!! I am loving the avatar! I see you got on the Phyto wagon too!!! Looking good!!!

KAddy

I DO NOT have bleached or highlighted tresses, but I want to say that this disclaimer goes for other relaxers as well. IMO, this statement is refering to using the products at the same time or within a time frame that is not safe to do one after the other (say one week). My recommendation is to contact the company for further clarification regarding this. (1-877-SPECIFIC). I know someone else posted this same question about a month or so ago and I advised her to call. I don't remember if she posted what they told her though.

L

lkg4healthyhair

I have been using Affirm sensative for years and I like it.....but....after hearing all these raves about Phyto I have to try it next time. :).

I WILL NOT put in my own relaxer (bad experience when I was 17) and I believe the salon charges $35 if I bring my own relaxer. So that's $95 per relaxer! I guess it still works out since I plan to get only 3 or 4 relaxers a year in stead of the usual 8 (every 6 weeks).

Question:

Are there two touchup applications in one box?

Would the application still be good if I saved it for 12-14 weeks until the next touch up?

Thanks

Bee6

Truly Outrageous
Dana03 said:
Please don't put bleach on your relaxed hair :eek: You can get highlights done with permanent color.

Apparently my stylist thought this was ok. She just used bleach to do my highlights...I guess that would explain why my hair fell out :ohwell:

KAddy

Dana03 said:
Please don't put bleach on your relaxed hair :eek: You can get highlights done with permanent color.

I totally agree. Someone mentioned before (I think it may have been Tracy) about coloring a relaxer or relaxing a color. I can't remember the exact phrasing. Hopefully she will chime it. I know it was about which one is better to do first. OK, this is no help so I will bounce now...

KAddy

Bee6 said:
Apparently my stylist thought this was ok. She just used bleach to do my highlights...I guess that would explain why my hair fell out :ohwell:

In the past I had my hair highlighted using the bleaching technique as well. It is VERY damaging and takes tons and tons of moisture to keep the bleached hair healthy. Mine eventually broke off using this technique. I also think it depends on how long they leave the bleach on the hair (how much they lift your natural color) that also impacts the damage it could cause.

KAddy

lkg4healthyhair said:
Are there two touchup applications in one box?

Hey Chica!

Yes, there are "supposed to be" 2 touchup applications in one box. I say supposed to be because I can't measure well, so I just mix the entire thing and throw away the remainder.

lkg4healthyhair said:
Would the application still be good if I saved it for 12-14 weeks until the next touch up?

If you do not mix it, then you will be fine. However, once the relaxer is mixed you MUST use it within 12 hours or throw it away.

moneychaser

Bee6 said:
:( I am sorry to hear that. I have read about and seen the damage of using bleach to color hair. I mean it literally MELTS the hair....

teerama

Hot Mama!
Dana-
I am loving your highlights!!! And I did not know that highlighting can be done using permanent hair color.....Is that what you did??? Please elaborate!!! PLEASE...PLEASE!!

I actually have had bad experiences with bleached highlights in the past and I thought that maybe it was because I did not know how to care for my hair then. I really dont want any setbacks, things are going so well now!

Tracy

:lol:
teerama said:
Okay, I think I am finally succumbing to the raves about Phyto. Problem is that the website says it should not be used on hair that has been bleached. I am hoping to put highlights in my hair this spring (it will be the first time in 3 years) and I do not want my hair to fall out. After all, you ladies have helped me get where I am today after years of struggle.

Do any of you current Phyto users have highlights or some sort of bleached/peroxided strands???

TIA

Well the ladies already hooked you up with the most important parts of the info.....but I just wanted to add that FYI - every single relaxer says that it should not be used on bleached hair....bleach and relaxers just don't make good bedfellows. (headfellows? :lol: )

You CAN do highlights with color and it's the same exact process that you'd use to do bleached highlights - you just use a mixed permie color instead of bleach is all. If you do use bleach though (and I have with no trouble) it is PROTEIN you need to maintain color. It is not oil, it is not moisture, it is PROTEIN.

Relaxers remove protein from the hair as well as destroy the chemical structure of the protein that is in the hair. Color does the SAME. Hair that is colored AND relaxed gets weak, and mushy, and melts (as Dana notes - particularly when bleach is involved) because it is in dire need of PROTEIN.

People who "saved" their highlights by "oiling" them got lucky if they weren't also using PROTEIN. Oil prvides lubrication so the hair doesn't snap off as easily - but when you do that you're treating a SYMPTOM of the problem (loss of elasticity is due to loss of PROTEIN, not loss of oil or moisture) and not the root.

PROTEIN, PROTEIN, PROTEIN is THE most important part of a color regime. If you remember nothing else, remember that. ;)

moneychaser

teerama said:
Dana-
I am loving your highlights!!! And I did not know that highlighting can be done using permanent hair color.....Is that what you did??? Please elaborate!!! PLEASE...PLEASE!!

I actually have had bad experiences with bleached highlights in the past and I thought that maybe it was because I did not know how to care for my hair then. I really dont want any setbacks, things are going so well now!
Thanks Chica
In an effort to color the least amount of hair as possible but to also give the apperance of a head full of color, I only colored the front portion. I used Claroil #25, sun blonde brown mixed with developer..
I plan on repeating this in May but using a highlighting cap on the same section, and Texture and Tones...
Like Tracy Protein is a VERY important part of my regimen. I give myself a deep protein treatment every 3 days :eek: :lol:

Last edited: