Spinoff: APL and Beyond Naturals, Does Your Hair Grow Out or Down?

Does Your Hair Grow Out or Down?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Janet'

Hi Ladies,

This is a spinoff of Kurlybella's 2008 thread: "Naturals, Does Your Hair Grow Out or Down"...I wanted to do an update of this thread since we have had so many people BC over the past couple of years. Also, now that my hair is finally on the grow, I'm just wondering if, at ANY point my hair will begin weighing down thus growing down...Or, am I destined for wide hair forever?:spinning::spinning:

Does hair "type" have anything to do with the way the hair grows, or is it product? Or, is it length? Everyone is free to comment, but I am particularly interested in those naturals whose hair is medium to longer lengths (ALL TYPES WELCOME!!!) because that's where I currently am in my HHJ. Pics would be great too, if you'd like to share, lol.

I added a poll just to see how things pan out...Thanks ladies,

lilsparkle825

I voted out, but I will say that it has more "hang" to it than it used to. Hopefully once I get to MBL, it will have enough weight to it where it will at least APPEAR to be growing down.

Qtee

I'm APL and my hair grows down for the most part..its puffy if left on its own..but it still hangs..

naturalgyrl5199

I put OUT and DOWN...I am BSB/BSL.

In the back where its 3c, it grows down

In the front/crown area which is type 4AB, it grows out.

EccentricRed

When I first BC'd, the crown-nape-side area of my hair was growning down, but the top of my hair wasn't. In the last few weeks, my hair is starting to weigh down on the top. I did a length check and I was in the neighborhood of APL (finally)! I would assume a combination of texture and thickness is what makes the hair grow out or down...

FebeeSigns

I'm APL when stretched, SL unstretched and my hair grew out first, and then began to hung. Now it grows downwards

AimWard

I selected other. I'm 3c/4a and my straightened hair is between MBL and WSL. My hair seems to alternate between out and down.

BillsBackerz67

My hair grows out....which is why I rarely post curly progress pics. My hair in my avi was from feb 2008 and I was barely shoulder length straightened. It is now almost 2011 and my hair is maybe an inch longer 'hanging" in its curly state but now its BSL when straightened.

RMichelleM

im apl, i voted out and down bc it seems like the most accurate description. my hair does hang more now that it is getting longer but it still maintains its volume.

newgrowth15

My hair grows out and down. The very front and the very back are probably 3A (no curls, just waves), which grows straight down. The sides and middle, which are a 3C/4A mix, grow out. Go figure. :ohwell:

lijm83

I don't know exactly what type I am. My hair mostly grows down. The section that stands up in my sig, is the only part that grows out and that part is starting to flop already. I'm at SL now.

tocktick

Certain sections grow out and other sections grow down. My hair is quite dense though and as it gets longer it appears the sections that grow out will hang more because they already do somewhat now. I personally prefer "wide hair" :lol: for myself than something that hangs totally down. I would loc or be a flat-ironed natural if I wanted that all the time for myself personally.

Last edited:

FroFab

Mine does more of a 45 degree angle thing down because its so dense but its always kind of flopped instead of growing up and out. I have type 4 hair (not sure on the letter but most likely a mix) and its fine but dense.

OneYear

right now i'm in the process of taking down my braids and i can say that looking at it its growing down finally :)...i guess because i had braids in for so long (a year) my hair has probably been trained to be more straight and grow down or something?? :/

debbiedee

Heyy!!!
How come there's no option for hair that sticks upp!!?? My hair totally defies gravity...out is not even the word to describe it.
I voted SL but I think i am nearly apl but my hair hardly looks like it is. I never use flat iron cos am scared silly...

I can't wait for my hair to be full SL unstretched....hpefully it will start growing down then.

Janet'

My hair grows out....which is why I rarely post curly progress pics. My hair in my avi was from feb 2008 and I was barely shoulder length straightened. It is now almost 2011 and my hair is maybe an inch longer 'hanging" in its curly state but now its BSL when straightened.

My hair fam!!!! YES!!!:wallbash::wallbash: THIS what you just said- is what I AM TALKING ABOUT :wallbash::wallbash: When I'm curly, length just laughs at me...

Almost MBL. My hair grows out. When it dries it an inch above my shoulders.:ohwell::nono:

:look::look: I feel like this is what I have to look forward to and I don't know...It makes me feel some sort of way:nono:

I feel your pain...

...I guess that the grass is greener on the other side, I would prefer my hair to grow down and it appears that your preference is out! Le Sigh!!!

Heyy!!!
How come there's no option for hair that sticks upp!!?? My hair totally defies gravity...out is not even the word to describe it.
I voted SL but I think i am nearly apl but my hair hardly looks like it is. I never use flat iron cos am scared silly...

I can't wait for my hair to be full SL unstretched....hpefully it will start growing down then.

But when you wash your hair and add your leave-in or whatever...When it dries, does it expand (go out) or go down?

debbiedee

after washing my hair, i look like i have just taken a trip to the barbers (shrinkage). after conditioning etc...i blowdry it and the result still looks like the pics i posted b4 just minus the headband...you are soo lucky to have hair that grows down...its hard for me to imagine my hair round my face like yours...lol it always sticks up...wen i try to comb it round my face it looks terrible....like i got electricouted or something!

oh...and if i let it airdry, i look like this:

Janet'

after washing my hair, i look like i have just taken a trip to the barbers (shrinkage). after conditioning etc...i blowdry it and the result still looks like the pics i posted b4 just minus the headband...you are soo lucky to have hair that grows down...its hard for me to imagine my hair round my face like yours...lol it always sticks up...wen i try to comb it round my face it looks terrible....like i got electricouted or something!

oh...and if i let it airdry, i look like this:

...And see, I think my hair goes out more than down...I'm BSB and you see how my hair looks! I think that your hair will eventually start growing down on some level, right?

Naturallista

Heyy!!!

Ok, I know you want your hair to grow down, but that is awesomeness right there! :yep:

discodumpling

My hair does both. there are sections of my scalp that produce hair growing down & sections that have hair growing up & out. Hopefully it will all even out somewhere around BSL:yep:

Naturallista

...I guess that the grass is greener on the other side, I would prefer my hair to grow down and it appears that your preference is out! Le Sigh!!!

So true:ohwell: Your hair is great, btw :yep:

Eclass215

Mine is out - you can see in my siggy that my WNG is at my ears - and I swear it's been at my ears forever - just keeps going out, not down.