Why does the hair grow up and not down

P

peacefulstrength

I'm starting this thread from one of the topic brought up in the Naturals: Why some of you say you can't see Growth? thread.
My boyfriend mentioned to me that he noticed that alot of yoruba(nigerian) girls hairs grow up but not down like some the other cultures in nigeria. I know some other nationality black people go through this too.
Once I went a year and some months with just braids and no relaxer and I saw some length when I finally relaxed it.
But, lately I've been wearing cornrows and then use a relaxer. But I never really saw as much growth as I want to.
Anyways, what he said finally made sense to me. I realized some of my friends would have braids for two months and come back with an inch of hair down. And mines would still be the same length even if I had braids for two months and relaxed it. Well maybe like 1/4 of an inch down.
So I've figured thats why my hair doesnt grow fast as I want it too or atleast I dont see it. So the questions are why does the hair grow up and not down? And if your hair grows up and not down, should you grow your hair out with relaxers or should you go natural?

Last edited by a moderator:

mscocoface

addydoll said:
I'm starting this thread from one of the topic brought up in the Naturals: Why some of you say you can't see Growth? thread.
My boyfriend mentioned to me that he noticed that alot of yoruba(nigerian) girls hairs grow up but not down like some the other cultures in nigeria. I know some other nationality black people go through this too.
Once I went a year and some months with just braids and no relaxer and I saw some length when I finally relaxed it.
But, lately I've been wearing cornrows and then use a relaxer. But I never really saw as much growth as I want to.
Anyways, what he said finally made sense to me. I realized some of my friends would have braids for two months and come back with an inch of hair down. And mines would still be the same length even if I had braids for two months and relaxed it. Well maybe like 1/4 of an inch down.
So I've figured thats why my hair doesnt grow fast as I want it too or atleast I dont see it. So the questions are why does the hair grow up and not down? And if your hair grows up and not down, should you grow your hair out with relaxers or should you go natural?

I am one whose hair grows up and out but not down, at least I haven't see it yet.

I can't explain why I will leave that up to that is just the way God made my hair.

I have major shrinkage so that is a main culprit of the out and up but not down syndrome:lachen:

Now I fought this for months and realized I either accept it or get prepared to be one very frustrated woman.

It is what, it is. So I am a stickler for doing comparison pictures as you can see below, you would think between the first picture and the last there isn't much of a difference until you see my hair pulled.

For those of us with very kinky, coily hair it is our lot in life, so we have to deal with it. But I have accepted it and and now others with hair like mine are starting to notice it and realize that even though we have this type of hair it is still GOOD HAIR just different, so we must do things differently to show growth.

So from my siggy to my avatar I can show growth. The avatar is a twist out and because I have promised not to use a blow dryer I only have some ways to show my length, but there are plenty of ways I have seen by just viewing other naturals who hair is like mine but much longer.