So... My Hair was FROZEN!

1QTPie

Elder Sim
I have never had this happen before. Especially not on dry hair. (No worries it defrosted within minutes of me being indoors.)

I went outside for a while. On the walk back to my office I decided to take my hat off and let my COMPLETELY DRY hair flow in the wind. I would say it around 40 degrees F outside. After about 6 minutes, I reached up to shake my hair out and it was stiff and rock hard. I touched all sides and they were all slowly turning into pieces of rock. EEK! :nono:

The only thing I have in my hair are: Amla Oil on my scalp, Vatika oil on my strands and Coconut oil on my ends. I will assume it's the Vatika oil. It was so weird and kinda scary. Anyone experience that before with their oils?? Me no like.

Oh and while I have your attention. Can someone please tell me how much Methi (fenugreek) powder to mix with my conditioner/shampoo and shikakai when I wash. I have at least 6 threads open about ayurveda and they are all over the place. LOL! I don't know what I'm reading. I know how much Shikakai to use, just not methi. Thanks!

Marand13

My hair did that once with the coconut oil....:nono: It was rock solid! Needless to say I don't put coconut on my hair very much in the winter...:lachen::lachen:

chebaby

its the coconut oil. it happened to me about 2 weeks ago and i had to stop because it was causing my ends to snap off. now i seal with cocasta oil.

1QTPie

Elder Sim
Dang it! I love to saturate my hair in it. Ok. Sad. Thanks ladies. I guess I should have figured that out since it's technically solid. Boo!

gissellr78

coconut oil is reallllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy greasy (duh is oil i know)....i just got it....

i am only using a little to add to my deep conditioner...the thought of oil on my clean hair scares me:nono:

prospurr4

Yeah...coconut oil will do that to you. I love coconut oil on my hair, but during the winter months, I switch to castor oil.

naturalmanenyc

Yep, the cocnut oil causes that stiffness. It happened to me in Jan/Feb of this year when I added coconut oil to my routine. I use castor oil now or EVOO.

Mook's hair

Wow! I'm glad I read this thread. No Coconut oil for me in the cold Jersey winter.
Shea Butter and mango butter all the live long day.

1QTPie

Elder Sim
I just got on the coconut oil band wagon again. I used to use it when I had a TWA. I have been olive/castor for so long. Blah! I'll figure out how much to use now. Thanks so much ladies! I tell you, for those who have never experienced that, it's really is scary. Like old school aquanet, brown gel, freeze crimped and curled scary. It's not something you want to feel, ever.

BostonMaria

My hair did that once with the coconut oil....:nono: It was rock solid! Needless to say I don't put coconut on my hair very much in the winter...:lachen::lachen:

Same thing happened to me in October! Its definitely the coconut oil. I was standing at the bus stop and touched my hair. It was as hard as this wall
:wallbash: LOL It was very strange. It went away once I got on the bus.

AsTheCurlzTurns

So glad this was posted. I had no clue coconut oil would do this and I love that stuff! Umm I use it to make whipped shea, so do you think it being mixed in with the shea butter will still make the hair hard as a rock???

empressri

lmao!!! im sorry wish i could have warned you, that ALWAYS happens to me when my hair is straight and i use vatika oil!!! im used to it. it gets soft right away once im inside though

luckiestdestiny

I totally freak when in NYC and it was around 50 or a little lower, and my braids were hard as rocks. I had put in lots of coconut oil!:nono::ohwell:

So what are you guys using in the winter? Curiosity! You have to be using something? I'm finding I deep condition more (used to be once a week, but I'm now doing twice (and no my hairs not mush, it loves moisture)
I haven't had this problem with qhemet's biologics, though...my amla and olive creme. Any suggestions on other products that might work?

anon123

Before I even opened this thread I knew you were going to say you had coconut oil on your hair. Coconut oil turns solid at a relatively high temperature. That's why I use it less in the winter.

BlackHairDiva

Its funny, during the summer almond oil works great on my hair. But for winter, Jasmin oil does the job but if i use it during the summer my hair becomes a flaming mess.

luckiestdestiny

Before I even opened this thread I knew you were going to say you had coconut oil on your hair. Coconut oil turns solid at a relatively high temperature. That's why I use it less in the winter.
You know what? Duh! I mean I have to give myself a duh!!! It comes solid and only heats when it's warm, or sitting out in room temperature!:lachen:

Naturelle

A similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago...I had wet my hair and put coconut oils on the end...no hat no baggie I figured eh, no biggie....right

Wrong!

As soon as I went outside, that coconut oil dried up in clumps in my hair ...all I had were these white hard small rocks of coconut hanging from my ends...and someone told me my hair looked so good that day :lachen:

fluffylocks

:lachen:That happened to me a couple of winters ago. It was funny to me because I got out the car to go into a store, and my hair froze up ASAP, as soon as i got back into the store It got soft again...I was like oh H*ll no. And in the summer time if you use too much it will start melting further on you/dripping.

Carrie A

EEEEKS! Sorry that happened. I remember I think it was Blackbarbie warned about this a while back. It's good to remember this. What about Hairveda products? Do they have coconut oil and has anyone noticed any cold weather stiffening.