So I'm Readin Sistaslick's Mid-relaxer Protein Thread on BBBh...

MizaniMami

And I noticed that she mentioned that instead of adding oils to the relaxer some people add a cheapie conditioner. I don't know about you ladies but this sounds genious to me!! A conditioner+relaxer in one step. I am sure you shouldn't add a lot but to add conditioner to a relaxer! :eek: Sounds so yummy. Has anyone ever did this? Any sucessfull results? I fnot, I guess I will be the first!

Any suggestions on a good conditioner to add?? *hopes Sista chimes in*;)

amy1234

Don't some relaxers (affirm & mizani) already have conditioners in it already? ...still sounds like a good idea ;)

secretdiamond

Hmmmm.... interesting. I would love to add some ORS RP to my relaxer! Sounds great!! I might try this for my next relaxer.

Sistaslick

yeah I remember reading this somewhere awhile back-- but I can't remember where (probably here :lol: )! I've always added oils with great results, never tried an actual conditioner myself though.

MizaniMami

Sistaslick said:
yeah I remember reading this somewhere awhile back-- but I can't remember where (probably here :lol: )! I've always added oils with great results, never tried an actual conditioner myself though.

Well I guess I'll be the LHCF guinea pig lol. I have Suave Milk N Honey that I will use. it is coneless with great ingredients.

myco

I've added a conditioner before. You have to be careful and not get conditioner happy, because you can really dilute a perm and slow down the processing to the extent that "it doesn't take". Especially if you're one of those people who apply and rinse quickly and you're already using a mild relaxer. I probably wouldn't add more than 1/8 cup to a 16 oz jar of relaxer if this is your first time.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
When I used to relax, after rinsing I would put conditioner in and then neutralize. There was this vitale conditioner that was an amber colored liquid, but I cant remember the name of it. I would also sometimes use the vitale foaming conditioner, or another light conditioner that wouldnt be hard to rinse or wash out. I dont know how much it ever helped but I always had good results, and my girlfriend really like the results when I did her hair that way. She said her hair had never come out so soft and healthy looking.

When I did this, after rinsing the relaxer, I used to comb the conditoner through with a wide tooth comb and keep it straight while rinsing it out. Then the first shampoo application I would comb the shampoo though my hair that was already combed straight. I liked to neutralize my hair while it was straight, it seemed to tangle less in the future. When I was 16 or so I read a book/mag that explained how the hair bonds were broken and rebonded with the shampoo so I figured why not rebond them with my hair already combed straight instead of all over my head. I also let the second or third shampoo stay in my hair 10-15 minutes. I was also so terrified I wouldnt neutralize well. It was probably all in my head but I always liked the results I got and none of my friends ever complained.

Last edited: