So I just bought some Queen Helene Cholesterol . . .

Glib Gurl

I wasn't planning on buying any products, but whenever I go into CVS I just *have* to stop by the makeup and hair product aisles. Anyways, I saw a huge tub of Queen Helene Cholesterol for only $3.39. :eek: Since so many of you rave about it, I figured I could give it a try at that price. Only problem is that now that I have it, I have no idea what to do with it *lol* So I'm wondering how you all use it? In place of your regular conditioner? For cowashing? Is it possible to use it for hair dressing? Do you ever leave it on for more than a few minutes?

Help! :lol:

gymfreak336

Glib Gurl said:
I wasn't planning on buying any products, but whenever I go into CVS I just *have* to stop by the makeup and hair product aisles. Anyways, I saw a huge tub of Queen Helene Cholesterol for only $3.39. :eek: Since so many of you rave about it, I figured I could give it a try at that price. Only problem is that now that I have it, I have no idea what to do with it *lol* So I'm wondering how you all use it? In place of your regular conditioner? For cowashing? Is it possible to use it for hair dressing? Do you ever leave it on for more than a few minutes?

Help! :lol:

I use it after I wash for about 15-20 mins with heat. I am actually going to pick up some tonight. I am 6 weeks post and I just hennaed a couple of days ago. My hair could use the added moisture.

malibu4590

MsDee4 said:
EWWwWWwWW!!! Augusten in Running With Scissors:hammer: :rofl:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: At your reply MsDee.

But back to the post...I used to use this product a few years ago but I purchased mine from the dollar store:eek: ! I would apply after shampooing and with heat. I think it did it's job but once I ran out, I didn't repurchase and I don't no why:ohwell: .

The Girl

MsDee4 said:
EWWwWWwWW!!! Augusten in Running With Scissors:hammer: :rofl:
exactly I can't get that out of my head. I even switched to LeKair cholesterol I do miss that one though.. I used it as a deep conditioner after I wash.

Glib Gurl

Thanks for the responses ladies (although I don't get the Running with Scissors one :look:) Now, when you say "with heat," I take it that you put some on your hair and sit under a dryer for 20 minutes? I don't have a dryer but I do have a little cap that attaches to a hand-held dryer . . .

WomanlyCharm - did you use this as an everyday conditioner or only when washing?

Thanks again!

hennagirl

Does this product leave a film on anyone else's hair. If so, how do you remove it or have you taken the product out of your regimen.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I just bought this last night for the 1st time in Walgreens. Is yours the one with 33% extra on the label? Anyway I was going to use it until I actually read the back and is said to condition 15-20 mins with heat. I didn't have time for that yesterday. Will probably do at my next washday (now that I am prepared to do it) on Thursday.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Yes it did for me and I just took it out of my regimen yrs. ago, I also had to clarify. It always left my hair hard, tangled and NO slip at all. The only cholesterol that I used that was good enough to try again if I wanted to was the Hollywood Beauty one and I added oil to that.

sometimes adding honey, and olive oil to it helps, but it didn't help me :perplexed but what works for some may not work for others.
hennagirl said:
Does this product leave a film on anyone else's hair. If so, how do you remove it or have you taken the product out of your regimen.

The Girl

Dont worry the Running with Scissors reference is about a book by that name..he referenced this product in an a non hair related manner. Just FYI

Aidenberry03

I dont' deep condition with this per say.

I use the Cholesterol on dry hair (pre poo) no heat for 1 hour---before Grey's Anatomy (once a week)

Then I shampoo and use my favorite rinse out conditioner. I am almost 2 months post ( I think????) and it helps.

I think I am allergic to conditioner so this way it ensures that I rinse all of it out.

WomanlyCharm

Glib Gurl said:
Thanks for the responses ladies (although I don't get the Running with Scissors one :look:) Now, when you say "with heat," I take it that you put some on your hair and sit under a dryer for 20 minutes? I don't have a dryer but I do have a little cap that attaches to a hand-held dryer . . .

WomanlyCharm - did you use this as an everyday conditioner or only when washing?

Thanks again!

Only when washing, usually every other wash...it would cause too much buildup for me to use everyday.

Shea

I use it without heat I let it sit in my hair for about and hour and a half or two hours and girlfiend it leaves my hair soft and light feeling. I have coarse hair so it really works trust me

tada1

not to be the bearer of bad news or anything, but doesnt the queen helene brand have sodium laureth sulfate in it? it did wonders for my hair, but i stopped using it because of this :nono:
i couldnt justify why a conditioner will have that in it :(

poookie

not to be the bearer of bad news or anything, but doesnt the queen helene brand have sodium laureth sulfate in it? it did wonders for my hair, but i stopped using it because of this :nono:

yup, it's got sulfates, formaledehyde, and other yummy things in it.

why would a conditioner have sulfates?

i just don't see how this product is good news...

BrownSkin2

Yes it did for me and I just took it out of my regimen yrs. ago, I also had to clarify. It always left my hair hard, tangled and NO slip at all. The only cholesterol that I used that was good enough to try again if I wanted to was the Hollywood Beauty one and I added oil to that.

sometimes adding honey, and olive oil to it helps, but it didn't help me :perplexed but what works for some may not work for others.

ITA. The Lustrasilk sheabutter one is much better imo..

tada1

yup, it's got sulfates, formaledehyde, and other yummy things in it.
why would a conditioner have sulfates?
i just don't see how this product is good news...

im glad someone else noticed this. i thought i was hallucinating when i first found out :lachen:
Now, im wondering whether these sulfates mean that people that use it wont have to shampoo their hair--ever. Sadly, some people have reported that it causes buildup.....:drunk:

Dogmd

yep it has sodium laureth in it.. Sodium lauryl is the drying product. I have NO problem usisng sodium laureth. But I have relaxed hair.. not sure if it makes a difference for people with natural hair. anyone else have a comment on laureth vs lauryl? or are all of them considered drying?

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

I looked at one of the QHC at Walmart and the first ingredient was Mineral Oil :blush: so I put it back on the shelf. Was I looking at the wrong version of the QHC?

Platinum

Yikes!!:perplexed I've been using this stuff for years! I didn't know it had sulfates in it. I used to use it after a hard Aphogee treatment and for my regular DC's. I may have to find something else now.:sad:

tada1

Yikes!!:perplexed I've been using this stuff for years! I didn't know it had sulfates in it. I used to use it after a hard Aphogee treatment and for my regular DC's. I may have to find something else now.:sad:

have you noticed any ill effects from using it though? I am seriously considering picking it up again :look: It never did me wrong...i just dumped it because of the sulfates and such