So I gotta theory--- Don't shoot me, but.....

ThePerfectScore

So... don't shoot me, but I've got a theory on the recent surge of Natural hair.

I think, in recent, years there has been more of an acceptance of natural black hair and a greater abundance of products and transfer of knowledge due to the fact that there are more biracial and mixed raced people.

Interracial relationships are becoming more common-place, so that means there's a lot of white mama's who don't know how to take care of the textured hair of their children. This created a wider need for knowledge about kinky and curly textures beyond the realms of the black community.

Black hair care products have been common place in black communities- from Korean owned beauty supply stores to home remedies in the kitchen, but now you can get my natural black hair care products in the aisle of a Whole Foods or Target in a white suburb near you.

There's always been natural black folks and relaxed black folks, but in recent years there seems to be more of a backlash on the creamy crack- aka relaxers and perms because of the dangerous chemicals coupled with an increase in black pride.

To be "black" has never meant just one skin tone or just one hair texture, but looking at hair care in the past it was only devoted to the care of relaxed hair. You could always find a box of relaxer at a grocery store, but were hard press to find a curling custard.

Prior to this recent surge, when I thought of Natural black hair I thought of braids, dread locs, or picked out afros. The emphasis on products to define the curls were only mocked in African American pop culture- Soul Glo, anyone? But even the Jheri curl of yesteryear was a chemical process that had more steps to it than a stair master.

Now a days, wash and go truly means--- I woke up like dis... Flawless.

I'm glad that natural hair is becoming, well, more natural to those outside of the black community. It's a reflection that the black community is no longer just the black community as races intermingle and interbreed out in the open, not just in the taboo crevices of jungle fever.

Dilettante

Hmm interesting theory. I think there's some logic to this: one of the first 'natural hair' brands was Mixed Chicks after all. But I think most of the cause is that surge in Black pride you mentioned. And maybe even pop culture's love of very thick hair.

ThePerfectScore

Hmm interesting theory. I think there's some logic to this: one of the first 'natural hair' brands was Mixed Chicks after all. But I think most of the cause is that surge in Black pride you mentioned. And maybe even pop culture's love of very thick hair.

Dilettante, yep Mixed Chicks was one of the first natural curl products I saw in the large national box retail stores.

I don't by any way think there was only one route to this popularity, but I think every contributing factor reinforces the other.

Last edited:

OhTall1

Interesting theory, but I wholeheartedly disagree. I don't think black folks' interest in going natural has anything to do with interracial relationships. Way too many of us have seen little interracial kids go years and years with effed up hair for us to be putting any weight in that. I think the decline in relaxers is more to do with:

(1) people overall having a greater interest in making healthier choices, whether we're talking about what they put in their mouth, on their skin or in their hair; and

(2) the wealth of information on the internet that debunks a lot of generational mis-information that has been passed down (ex. using "black people" hair products, not washing your hair too much otherwise it will fall out, unstraightened hair is "bad hair", etc.).

Interested to see how other people feel about this theory...

BostonMaria

Interesting theory I never relaxed my DD's hair and I made that decision before they were born. I made the decision to go natural before it was "cool" because I got tired of going to the salon and wasting money. Plus with all the tools and technology we have now, I figured relaxers couldn't be the ONLY way to do my hair. I can't speak for all black women, but for me I wanted more control of my hair. I never agreed to a relaxer (I was 10) and I didn't want to use chemicals for the rest of my life. As for my DD's, I wanted that decision to be theirs.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I think natural hair has grown in acceptance simply because the rigid workplace rules have been relaxed. When I was in HS, it was borderline scandalous for a person of color to wear dreadlocks, natural hair (I.e. Unperrmed, "kinky") styles including a bush and all variations in between in corporate settings.

Before casual dress days for Bob and Sue, Sista Girl and Brother Mann had to present a non ethnic dress and grooming style that included tamed hair. All other styles were frowned up and relegated to non corporate and artsy settings. In that environment, if you were comfortable with natural you only displayed it during off work hours with friends.

But now since workplaces aren't as flagrant with their discrimination, hairstyles and clothing we saved for our friends and private moments can be used as part of our work environment. Especially since many people are far more health conscience than ever before...not having to pick the creamy crack to keep our jobs has made it far easier for many to just go without it and embrace natural hair.

ThePerfectScore

Well I do think there are a lot of reasons that contribute to the Naturalization of America... that's what I'mma call it.

I agree with the posters above about the focus on health and natural products being used that are more eco-friendly and less harmful to the human body. That was a really big reasons why I said no to relaxers. The thought that I was putting something on my scalp that caused burns if I just so happened to scratch prior to it's application scared me.

The economy--- Natural styles are way more budget friendly in terms of upkeep. With harsh chemicals I was always a fan of going to a professional salon for my relaxers. When the economy changed I switched to at home kits, but that left me even more paranoid about going bald. A lot of other people around the nation had to tighten up the purse strings, so I know those $50-100 visits to the hair salon became more of a luxury than regimen.

mzteaze 's point about it being more accepted in the workplace leads me to another question (Chicken vs the egg type), but what spearheaded Corporate America's acceptance of natural hair?

Let's be real, prior to this recent wave (I'd say in the past 5-10 years) getting natural black hair care products was hard to find in the run of the mill nation wide retailers. There would be small tiny sections devoted to "black hair care", but now going into Target, Whole Foods, Wal-mart, Drug stores, Sephora, Ulta, etc. I am seeing these retailers devote ample shelf space to natural kiny/curly hair products.

Black people have always been willing and able to spend money on their hair, so why is it that NOW of all the time in history are we given a larger section of the national retail stores? Before it seemed like the only options we had to get some real variety of products was to go to a Beauty Supply speciality store.

So I think to better frame the question I'm not so much commenting on a surge of acceptance of Natural Hair within the black community, but more so the society as a whole and more specifically retail corporations. I know they go where the money leads them, but there's always been people willing to spend money on black hair care products before, so why now am I just seeing more products that cater to our hair needs.

Last edited:

itsallaboutattitude

Cancer Support in Health
Well I do think there are a lot of reasons that contribute to the Naturalization of America... that's what I'mma call it. I agree with the posters above about the focus on health and natural products being used that are more eco-friendly and less harmful to the human body. That was a really big reasons why I said no to relaxers. The thought that I was putting something on my scalp that caused burns if I just so happened to scratch prior to it's application scared me. The economy--- Natural styles are way more budget friendly in terms of upkeep. With harsh chemicals I was always a fan of going to a professional salon for my relaxers. When the economy changed I switched to at home kits, but that left me even more paranoid about going bald. A lot of other people around the nation had to tighten up the purse strings, so I know those $50-100 visits to the hair salon became more of a luxury than regimen. mzteaze 's point about it being more accepted in the workplace leads me to another question (Chicken vs the egg type), but what spearheaded Corporate America's acceptance of natural hair? Let's be real, prior to this recent wave (I'd say in the past 5-10 years) getting natural black hair care products was hard to find in the run of the mill nation wide retailers. There would be small tiny sections devoted to "black hair care", but now going into Target, Whole Foods, Wal-mart, Drug stores, Sephora, Ulta, etc. I am seeing these retailers devote ample shelf space to natural kiny/curly hair products. Black people have always been willing and able to spend money on their hair, so why is it that NOW of all the time in history are we given a larger section of the national retail stores? Before it seemed like the only options we had to get some real variety of products was to go to a Beauty Supply speciality store. So I think to better frame the question I'm not so much commenting on a surge of acceptance of Natural Hair within the black community, but more so the society as a whole and more specifically retail corporations. I know they go where the money leads them, but there's always been people willing to spend money on black hair care products before, so why now am I just seeing more products that cater to our hair needs.

My opinion of corporate acceptance is really a Black myth being dispelled by is who didn't experience discrimination from whites in the work place.

I've been natural my entire working career.

Only black female managers have ever said that my hair needs to be "fixed" before meeting their boss or the CEO. Both meetings were for financial recognition for a project that I and another worked on that was now brining in multiple millions of dollars to the company.

I put on a wig for one meeting to cover my corn rowed hair to meet her boss. For the CEO, who I ended up being in multiple reward meetings with him and all of his directs, I wore my natural hair in a bun.

My black vp was a little bit annoyed about the natural bun. But I was PISSED. It was okay for the everyone else to see ME, but not these special unicorn white men. K.M.A.

She never said anything to me again about my hair.

God is an alien, and we are living under a microscope.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Without directly asking your age itsallaboutattitude, I will ask how far are you in your professional career?

I say that only because I MAY be a bit older, so I can remember a time period when men with dreads where seen as less professional despite his credentials because of his hair by his white superiors.

I hear you about other blacks in the workplace being the ones to say something about your hair (and yes that's an entirely different discussion). But, pre- casual/"business casual" work days, back when you still had to dress professionally for work, it WAS an issue and subject of a few lawsuits & public debates.

AmiJay

Black women are the reason black women are going natural. Don't underestimate our power. What we do is watched all the time and we set trends without even knowing it.

Like it or not, we are the ones who spend the most on hair care products so this being America, folks knew they needed to get in on the action.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I don't know about that theory. I can speak for myself. It was 100% mental decision before I ever BC'd. Watching Hair Crush explain that we are trying to make our naturally curly hair do what God never intended to do, grabbed me and made my attitude about straight hair 24/7 change. I didn't go natural based on any other influence other than that. I was simply tired of being a slave to my new growth and I wanted to know where my sons curly hair came from. I found the answer as soon as I BC'd.

doll-baby

I know when I went natural I wasn't thinking about any one biracial , I just wanted to get the relaxer out of my hair and explore my natural hair texture.

itsallaboutattitude

Cancer Support in Health
[USER=101257 said:
mzteaze[/USER];19781655]Without directly asking your age itsallaboutattitude, I will ask how far are you in your professional career?

I say that only because I MAY be a bit older, so I can remember a time period when men with dreads where seen as less professional despite his credentials because of his hair by his white superiors.

I hear you about other blacks in the workplace being the ones to say something about your hair (and yes that's an entirely different discussion). But, pre- casual/"business casual" work days, back when you still had to dress professionally for work, it WAS an issue and subject of a few lawsuits & public debates.

I am not ashamed! I am 42. And I agree that it was an issue, and can still be raised as an issue today. I do also believe that people of color in positions of power didn't help to break down those barriers (the woman I am talking about is a VP).

Those of us who bucked the system. Spit in the eye of our "betters" and faught descrimination about what grows out of our head, IMO, played a huge part in what is considered normal.

In addition, the access to better hair care products makes it seem "easier" to be natural. They still selling that dream of perfect 3c curls though. Or perfect hair however you may define that.

I am 20+ years deep in this natural hair. And I didn't find this board until @ 2007. My co-worker referred me. She was a member long before I joined. When she met me, I was in a cut it short, (brush only please) phase. When I decided to grow my hair out AGAIN, she was nice enough to educate me. She's a year younger than me and a natural too.

I see more and more women coming out from behind their weaves and braided extensions and I am happy for it, whatever the cause.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
To keep it short and simple... I think most black women who's hair became so badly damaged under a black salonist had no choice but to go natural or hit a brick wall thinking "this is how my hair must be for the rest of my life".

I think due to social media....it's became easier for women of color to help each other overcome our hair issues.

I don't think biracial had anything to do w/ it. I think black women became fed up and ladies like Cathy Howse emerged.

Ogoma

I don't agree. This movement has been led and driven by black people. Companies are just giving us what they think we want. They thought we wanted relaxers and we got it. As we are changing our needs, they are changing what they provide.

Black people spend a lot of money in the beauty products space. We spend proportionally more good or bad. You better believe they have their ear to the ground. Target approached Oyin almost a decade ago or so, but they initially turned them down.

Ogoma

My opinion of corporate acceptance is really a Black myth being dispelled by is who didn't experience discrimination from whites in the work place. I've been natural my entire working career. Only black female managers have ever said that my hair needs to be "fixed" before meeting their boss or the CEO. Both meetings were for financial recognition for a project that I and another worked on that was now brining in multiple millions of dollars to the company. I put on a wig for one meeting to cover my corn rowed hair to meet her boss. For the CEO, who I ended up being in multiple reward meetings with him and all of his directs, I wore my natural hair in a bun. My black vp was a little bit annoyed about the natural bun. But I was PISSED. It was okay for the everyone else to see ME, but not these special unicorn white men. K.M.A. She never said anything to me again about my hair. God is an alien, and we are living under a microscope.
I agree with this to an extent. I do think there was a time when they considered natural hair unkempt, but like everything else they left that and let us police ourselves. They didn't care about that rule, but we had no way of knowing.

Last edited:

Urban

I don't know. The natural movement i.e. Napturality forum, crown and glory etc started way before the explosion of 'natural hair products.' I think the increase of products is a function of us creating the demand ... rather than there being more white women looking for products/ information. That's to say, we started going natural, despite the lack of information and products .... companies/ entrepreneurs saw a market and created forums, blogs and products. White mothers then happened to benefit from it all too.

Last edited:

Mahogony7

When I went natural I had no idea that I was going "Natural" or transitioning. In 2011 after relaxing my hair I noticed that my edges had gone on to glory. At the time I was only relaxing every 6 months. I did this because my hair never ever really took to the perm. It would still be thick and I used to get supers when I was young too. Also I live in a foreign country and as soon as they see my hair they freak the hell out. I've found one or two adventurous people, but most would only just trim and that's it. Even after I begged them and promised not to get mad, they would vehemently refuse.

After I got that perm, I wore a hat for the next 6 months because I was just so through with my hair and I couldn't find anyone to do it. One day while looking up conditioner I found K.I.S.S and Lhcf and that was the beginning of a huge change in my life. Huge!!!

I also hit a turning point when my dumb arse boss told me that my hair isn't naturally curly, but straight so I could not wear certain wigs. Well after telling her arse off. I realized I had no idea what my nature texture was. Fast forward 2 years later and she is eyeing my BAA and I'm waiting for her to say something dumb, but she didn't:lol:

I also watch XODVF's vids and she said "We are the only race going natural. Look at what they did to us". And it is so true other racial groups wore there hair without being ostracized and scruntinized. Meanwhile we are dumping dangerous chemicals on our scalps and into our body causing fibroids and whole a bunch of other mess. And I thought to myself screw this!!! My hair is gorgeous and should not be restrained. I even went to job interviews with a braid out and a twist out and no mentioned my hair and I got jobs.

I hope that this movement with hair is one of many movements within the black community that will help restore us mentally to who we were before slavery and what we can become.