So all this time she was USING A...

Dee-Licious

LYE perm on my hair? My past two beauticians have used Mizani on my hair, which i assumed was no-lye. Knowing that I was getting a relaxer this Friday I drove 25 minutes high as gas is to get a Mizani perm. I did not read it until i got home, and then I saw that it contains lye. When getting home perms I usually use ORS no-lye relaxer because I always thought only no-lye relaxers were used on my hair. Are all Mizani perms lye or could she have been using a no-lye Mizani on my hair? Should I use the Mizani lye or go get an ORS no-lye relaxer? Does lye damage the hair?

Queenie

The sensitive scalp one is no lye relaxer.

Also, lye relaxers are more gentle on the hair then no lye ones.

HoneyDew

There is such controversy around the whole lye or no-lye thing.

Most of the relaxers in salons I have been to are lye and they never use no-lye unless I ask.

Many professionals say no-lye is bad and drying.

In the past Lye applied by a professional always gets my hair straighter, but so many people with beautiful hair use no-lye w/o a problem.

I think I have had maybe 5 touchups in my life with Lye, but I have seen no reason to stop self relaxing with my favorite no-lye.

EishBuhgeish

Queenie said:
The sensitive scalp one is no lye relaxer.

Also, lye relaxers are more gentle on the hair then no lye ones.

Yeah, my new hairdresser says the same thing. She also said no-lye coats the hair with a film the weights is down. I've been using no-lye all my life until I went to her. I actually like it, it seems mly hair is alot more manageable than usual. It could be the excellent trim that I got though. I think I'll stay with lye. Which is the best lye relaxer so that I can stay consistent? She used Affirm regular. I've got 4a-b fine hair. Unfortunately, I was super paranoid about switching to lye so I had her wash it out a lil earlier than I would have usually washed and now its underprocessed...What do y'all suggest for that?