Snap-Crackle-Pop!!!

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Hello Ladies,

I've noticed that my hair snaps very easily!! When it's wet, I'll comb my hair very gently or when I comb it into bun, but I'll still get the snaps!! :nono:

Am I using too much protien? Not enough protien? Are there any products you can recommend? Thank you sistas.

Last edited:

candibaby

are you stretching your relaxers? if so, how far are you now?
since you mentioned it, how often are you using protein?

sugaplum

Star Shooter
candibaby said:
are you stretching your relaxers? if so, how far are you now?
since you mentioned it, how often are you using protein?

Thank you so much for responding. :notworthy I get a relaxer evry 8-10 weeks. I just got a relaxer Friday Jan. 7. 3 weeks after I got my last relaxer, I did a Aproghee treatment and to me it didn't do anything for my hair. :(

candibaby

What relaxer did you use and did you do the Aphogee treatment after THIS touchup or the one before? What products have you used since your touchup?

sugaplum

Star Shooter
candibaby said:
What relaxer did you use and did you do the Aphogee treatment after THIS touchup or the one before? What products have you used since your touchup?

I used the DNL Super relaxer prior to the Aprogee treatment. Then I switched to Hawaian Silky "No-Base" Conditioning Lye Relaxer. I've noticed less snaps since I've used this relaxer. But my hair still snaps. Here is the list of products I use:

Elasta QP Mango Butter (for my ends) Every other night
Black-N-Sassy Over night breack-free creme (every other night on my ends)
Pre-poo:V05 Strawberries & Cream conditioner, EVOO, & honey (once a week)
Conditioner: Creme-Of-Nature conditioner (purple label)
Shampoo: Creme-of-Nature Detangling, Conditioning, Shampoo

I shampoo my hair Saturdays and Co wednesdays.

Since my touch-up I haen't done anything to it really. Just used the Elasta QP Mango butter on my ends at night.

Edited to add: I wear protective bun style 99%!!

Last edited:

candibaby

It doesn't seem like it's anything that you're doing or not doing that's causing your hair to 'snap'. Are you sure that it's breakage and not just shedding?

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I think you ard right it might be breakage, but when I comb it out gently to detangle my hair after shampooing/co, it just snaps!! I hear it litterally snap. :( Is there aything I can do or use???

GoingBack

I think that you need to put some type of moisturizer on the length of your hair in addition to the ends. It sounds like the roots and length are probably dry and that's why you hear the snapping sound when you comb it.

candibaby

Maybe the conditioner you use isn't moisturizing enough for you. I'm thinking you should try another moisturizing conditioner with good detangling benefits or you could continue to use the conditioner you have now and get another one just to help you detangle and see if that helps. I know Nexxus Ensure (you can get like a 5oz for $5) is does a great job of detangling, it is an acidifying conditioner so it closes the hair cuticle as well. A lot of ladies have success with Clairol Daily Defense Tender Apple Conditioner for detangling as well and you can get it for 79 cents to a dollar. I have never tried it though.

Other good moisturizing conditioners (in case you decide to try something else) are Humectress, Humecto, and Kenra MC. And just so you know, Nexxus, Keracare, and Kenra will all send you samples of these products if you email them and ask.

I hope I've been somewhat of a help.

candibaby

kitty18 said:
I think that you need to put some type of moisturizer on the length of your hair in addition to the ends. It sounds like the roots and length are probably dry and that's why you hear the snapping sound when you comb it.
I agree.. I didn't even think about that.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Thank you sooo much ladies. I'll buy some of the products you mentioned this weekend and I'll update. Thanks again. :love:

candibaby

sugaplum said:
Thank you sooo much ladies. I'll buy some of the products you mentioned this weekend and I'll update. Thanks again. :love:
You can just get samples, (all of them usually ship within 2 weeks).. to save money. :)

belleza

My hair snaps really easily. I can't even wear my hair down if I have a shirt on because my ends will fray. My hair really needs alot of attention.

I notice when I CO wash every two days my hair seems to have more elasticity. When I don't CO wash often, my hair gets really crispy. My goal is to not let my hair get dry/hard. Keep it moist. I only use Aphogee 1 times each month. I may use my Dominican protein mask once a week and it makes my hair strong but not suseptible to snapping off. Oils, and butters keep my hair on my head.

Smooth be the journey!

simcha

I used to have a lot of breakage and found it was a couple of things:

1) Hair was over-processed. I think I'm a 3c/4a (it may be a 2b -- I've had several hair stylists comment that I have weird hair), but I have fine to medium textured hair that is slightly resistant. I noticed you said you use Super strength relaxer or did. Most of my breakage stopped when I found someone who just works the relaxer (Bantu regular) through my hair once quickly and washes it out. Everyone else was doing it several times.

2) Too much or too strong protein. I started only using conditioners with protein once every once in awhile, usually a week after I get a touch-up then followed it up with a deep moisturizing treatment. Since I got most of the breakage under control, I only do them as needed.

3) I deep condition after everytime I wash my hair with L'Oreal's Natures Therapy Mega Moisture. I don't think it has any protein in it. I used to use Humectress but I felt it was drying out my hair after a while (someone suggested that it might be the mineral oil in it)

4) I only comb my hair with a super wide tooth comb. The teeth are about 1/4" apart.

5) I detangle my hair before I wash it and then barely move it around when I shampoo, condition etc... It's almost like I just squeeze the product through it. When I detangle after deep conditioning, I divide it into about four sections and then detangle each section.

I used to dread combing or manipulating my hair at all while it was wet. Now when I detangle I get maybe 10 hairs in my comb if that many. And no more wet hair wrapped around my hair.

Sorry for the long response. I hope this helps...