Smoothing down cuticles for silky hair

C

cieramichele

This is what we ALL need right? Well, lets make this thread all about products and methods that smooth down the cuticles for easy detangling and silky hair.

Cold water rinse
ACV rinse
Blow drying with cool air

oils seem to just coat IMO

Aggie

I don't care for freezing my butt off in the shower either but daaaanng...... the shine is awesome. The ACV rinse smells funny to me even after washing it out but it leaves my hair soooo soft. I can say this with surety, I hate cool-air blow-drying. My hair looks aweful when I do this but I do it when I know I will not be styling it after a wash and I will be protective styling instead. I like the results of rollersetting with medium low heat wayyyy better.

C

cieramichele

For me, blow drying with cool hair helps my new curls better than heat. Heat frizzes my hair.

JustKiya

I use a citric acid rinse - the slightly acidic rinse clamps my cuticles down and makes my hair silky smooth.

JustKiya

Be light handed with it (1/2 tsp in 12oz of water or so) as it IS an acid and it WILL burn. :look:

Don't ask.

:lol:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i thought certain types of hair dont have shine at all but sheen. Shine is that sparkly natural shine. sheen is the look that hair has where its not shiny and bling but it dosent look dry. it usually looks healthy. some people dont have either...

anon123

I use a citric acid rinse - the slightly acidic rinse clamps my cuticles down and makes my hair silky smooth.

aw straight citric, that would be another thing i'd have to buy. guess i won't be trying it. :( maybe when i get off my self-imposed product restriction.

Last edited:

Aggie

aw straight citric, that would be another thing i'd have to buy. guess i won't be trying it. :( maybe when i get off my self-imposed product restriction.
Dang mwedzi, your hair looks slammin' in your siggy and avatar girl. Nice thickness.

Starr1

Nope, straight citric acid. Lotioncrafters and FNWL have it, and I think you can still find it in some grocery stores as pickling salt.

I love citric acid rinses!:yep:

And yes you can find it in grocery stores. . . in the spice aisle.

SoAnxious12

does the citric acid dry your hair out at all? Can be used to clarify thanks!

to answer the op's question
gel (just a smidgen of fantasia):look:
baking soda/water
cold water rinse

JustKiya

I usually use it as the final rinse, once I've rinsed my conditioner out, and am about to get out and start doing the non-shower related parts (leave-in & style), and I've never noticed it doing so - maybe if you use way too much it might, like any acid would.

Isis

Hmm...I have a new container of citric acid by NOW. I'll have to try this next tine, well diluted. :yep:

To the OP: I prefer airdrying in a rollerset. My cuticles are closed after rinsing off my conditioner and applying leave-in. I love the shine and bounce from the rollerset.

Honi

There is no board.
ACV rinses are good and have helped me tremendously with the tangles. I'm 4 months post and no problems with tangly hair. I experimented a bit and mixed ACV with LeKair cholesterol and it worked fabulously when used after an oil rinse. LeKair is crap by itself.

Cold water rinses makes my hair tangle :ohwell:

I'm going to have to try citric acid now that I know it's available in the stores.