closing cuticles before your regimen

Kinky4Agirl

Ok ladies. I read somewhere that if I lay my cuticles down before I start my weekend routine that my hair will be silkier and healthier. I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this. It makes a little sense to me to ward off breakage and dryness. I was thinking of wetting my hair and then spraying it with ACV or lemon juice before I wash and condition... Or maybe wash and condition and then spray with the juice before I add my other products.. ie, leave in, chi silk infusium, and keratin.. Some of you may think that if I close my cuticles that nothing can get in.... but I do not think our cuticles actually close all the way down where nothing we add can get in. What do you all think? At what point in your hair routine would you want to close your cuticles?

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I have low po hair, so my hair is for the most part has closed cuticles. It is harder to open the cuticles and harder to get conditioner or anything to penetrate the hair with closed cuticles. I always have to use heat to get any benefits of any item I use. After I use DC and rinse, my cuticles just close back up. I don't need rinse-off or anything else to close the hair. Its nice having closed cuticles, but on a wash day, its only beneficial after I rinse the DC.

Im sure you can get the benefits of closed cuticles after your DC is rinsed out, but before its hard to do anything. Im also not sure if they are closed, if anything will stop them from opening. A smoothing shampoo sounds more like what it is you are looking for.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Yea, dont mess with closing and opening cuticles until you are sure of your porosity level.

If you are high porosity, then an ACV rinse AFTER your DC will nicely close them and lay your hair smoother.

If you are low porosity, the ACV might cause you lots of trouble with styling products, sealers and leave ins. As in they will just sit on you rhair and not absorb. In the long run this could cause you severe dryness and a setback,

virtuenow

Much better to lay your cuticles down by balancing your protein-moisture. I do this by DC'ing before i wash w/ a reconstructor - AO GPB. Hair accepts moisture much better thru rest of wash process. You will learn that I am not a fan of acv.

LaVgirl

I wouldn't use anything as strong as lemon juice or ACV until you know your porosity level. Aloe vera juice is a nice, mild PH balancer and I would also recommend AO GPB conditioner. :)

virtuenow

I also agree w/above, aloe vera juice is the only rinse that I'd be willing to recommend as your final rinse. It's not harsh and has moisturizing benefits.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I have low porosity and find that my hair accepts moisture better & tangles way less if I use a cuticle closing product after shampooing but before DCing. Currently I'm loving - HairVeda ph balancing.

felic1

The title of the thread reminds me of the famous words before a setback. If your cuticles are closed tightly, they will not allow for treatments to enter the hair shaft. This can cause damage, breakage, and hair loss. Thus, a setback. Review of careful hair techniques will help address safe regimen practices. I do not mean to insult or be mean. Be blessed:blush:

Kinky4Agirl

Ladies you guys rock! Thanks for all your replies. Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I sent the new thread and then left work and didn't check over the weekend... Anywho, I think closing the cuticle might cause an issue for me as I am low por as well. My hair sits on top of a bowl of water and never ever goes under.... After reading all of your responses I was thinking of using aloe vera juice just before I seal and air dry. Thanks again ladies.

virtuenow

@Kinky4Agirl, the float test is not effective in determining your porosity. Rather, an assessment of the feel of your hair and its reaction to products (whether they absorb or just sit there, for instance) is a better way to determine your porosity.

Last edited:

Kinky4Agirl

virtuenow, How do I know if they absorb or just sit there? I tell you I am the worst possible person to ask about my hair. I wish I had someone to tell me. I feel my hair and it feels bumpy sometimes and then smooth the next. Products absorb fairly well...

virtuenow

@virtuenow, How do I know if they absorb or just sit there? I tell you I am the worst possible person to ask about my hair. I wish I had someone to tell me. I feel my hair and it feels bumpy sometimes and then smooth the next. Products absorb fairly well...

How long does it take for your hair to dry after washing/cond?

Kinky4Agirl

virtuenow, It takes a few hours to completely dry to the roots. If I wash my hair in the morning and then go to work in a pony tail, my roots will still be kinda damp at the end of the day.

virtuenow

@virtuenow, It takes a few hours to completely dry to the roots. If I wash my hair in the morning and then go to work in a pony tail, my roots will still be kinda damp at the end of the day.

High porosity hair dries very quickly. My hair used to dry w/in about 10min of washing. Low porosity takes a longer time to get wet but once it does, it takes forever to dry. You said your hair absorbs products well and it takes a few hours to dry-- sounds like normal porosity.

Kinky4Agirl

virtuenow, girl you are right on point! I did a test myself last night that I found on a website. I wet my hair and felt it after it was fully wet. It just felt wet. Not rough and not sticky. Normal porosity just like you said. Thanks for your and everyone else's help.