Silky Smooth Edges

cclark1

Naturals,

I can never get my edges silky smooth like some of you girls. What are you doing to get yours that way? I'm using my beloved Denman on hair after I condition. Slick it in a loose bun and put a scarf on my head to hold my edges down. It's good for maybe a day or two. But I know I could get them straighter. Another natural suggested that I use another brush for my edges. But I'm afraid that another brush might cause damage. Any advice?? PLEASE??

Ericka

I use Elasta QP Mango Butter to smooth down my edges. I just apply a tab bit to my edges then smooth and style with a toothbrush and then apply a scarf for about 5 mins to lay it flat. After that I have smooth straight edges.

HTH

MirrorDoll

I use a very soft brush and gel. I tie the edges down for 10 mins and voila! Nice, smooth edges.

A little brushing with a SOFT brush on the edges only won't hurt you.

I like lighter hold gels, nothing that'll leave you hair crunchy or flakey... fantasia IC aloe (the green one) is great.

chebaby

aved humectant pomade or mizani night treatment on the edges and then a lil coconut oil on top.

Irresistible

I use Elasta QP Mango Butter to smooth down my edges. I just apply a tab bit to my edges then smooth and style with a toothbrush and then apply a scarf for about 5 mins to lay it flat. After that I have smooth straight edges.

HTH

it gets my vote too!

ladylibra

use a toothbrush! (obviously not the same one you use in your mouth though :rolleyes: ) i used to do this to smooth any flyaways around my hairline, but i stopped caring so i don't do it anymore :lol:

sareca

Applying gel to damp not wet or dry edges and tie it down with a scarf for 10 minutes.

Last edited:

LadyRaider

Thanks Ladies, I am holding out on relaxing as long as I can. I just reached six months and going good, except the edges thing might be the thing that tips me off the no-relaxer wagon.
Any other tips for keeping edges from being fuzzy?

shtow

elasta qp glaze literally saved me from ending my transition last night. My edges are stretched out, yet defined, and moist.

mg1979

I love Keracare Edge Tamer and Hicks Transformation Smooth Edges. Elasta QP Glaze worked okay, but I had much better luch with the other two.

Diva_Esq

use a toothbrush! (obviously not the same one you use in your mouth though :rolleyes: ) i used to do this to smooth any flyaways around my hairline, but i stopped caring so i don't do it anymore :lol:

I agree with the toothbrush. Sounds like you're doing it right with Denman and the scarf. I use Garnier Fructis Brilliantine Water-based wax and a little Eco Styler gel and mine edges lay better than when I was relaxed! No flaking, not hard. Perfection. Here's what the GF Wax ($3.50 or less) looks like:

wax.jpg

Good luck! Oh, and also I do this while my hair is wet.

loolalooh

I agree with the toothbrush. Sounds like you're doing it right with Denman and the scarf. I use Garnier Fructis Brilliantine Water-based wax and a little Eco Styler gel and mine edges lay better than when I was relaxed! No flaking, not hard. Perfection. Here's what the GF Wax ($3.50 or less) looks like:

View attachment 53846

Good luck! Oh, and also I do this while my hair is wet.

Love that stuff for my edges. I use shea then Eco Styler on top.

LaToya28

Ecostyler gel and a scarf should be your bff...it works wonders and it doesn't turn greasy after an hour like Elasta Glaze or Jam...and it's cheap!