SL to BSL/ MBL

beauti4dlo

Hello all, I just want to satrt out by saying I hope everyone has a heppy hair day!!! But there's been something that's been on my mind for quite some time. I've been going through all of these threads and browsing (and sometimes stalking :blush:) and I came across something. Alot of the women that were rocking these beautiful lengths had long hair all along (weather they had natural hair or not). Now granted, my hair is currently APL at its longest peice, but I was wondering were there any ladies who had long hair that DIDN'T have long hair before ( as in BSL or MBL). I was just really curious, as I wonder if my hair will one day make it there!! Please give me your input, and if you have pics, links, reggies, etc please do share, as I appreciate any info given (I'm still learning)!!

My fotki:
http://members.fotki.com/beauti4dlo/about/

Thanks I appreciate both of your comments and help. I just wondered if it were at all possible, and now I have a little more hope!!

I started at above SL. I'm BSL now. I never had BSL/MBL before I came here. Patience and consistency will get you where you want to be.

I started at SL feb last year, now I am MBL :)

ETA: I've never been this length all my length. I've always been between SL and APL...

I was SL last year and had to trim heat damaged ends but now I'm almost BSL (don't really know cos I'm in braids). There are a lot of ladies who started al neck length or shoulder length and are mid-back and beyond. You might want to check out ladies fotkis for inspiration

It has been almost a years since I started here, and I have gone from short hair to ???
I dont know how long my lenth is now--see below photo taken 4/30/09

Attachments

• Hair 4-30-09 003.jpg
    Hair 4-30-09 003.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 51
Hang in there it will happen, I decided to do lenght checks every 4 months -- I had a hard time coming here for while looking at all the pretty hair.

I dunno about "all along..." :look:

When I was relaxed, my hair wouldn't get past APL in the back, and I had a lot of fringe up front that wouldn't grow past my chin. I cut my hair down to 2 inches of new growth almost 4.5 years ago, and I made it to MBL in the back (which I cut back to BSL) and I'm now APL in front. And I do plan on growing it out to WL. :yep:

wow, I really appreciate all the comments left. It's just that sometimes trying to figure out how to work with my hair (and not against) it can be discouraging. I start to wonder will my hair ever really grow (I've been natural 3 years now, HOWEVER, I've just started taking really good care of my hair:wallbash:). What do you ladies do to your hair that helped you gain length and maintain it? How do you keep it healthy?? I've ready that many ladies no longer trim, just 'dust' (what does that mean????:ohwell:) I hope more people do comment because I like to hear results. But you ladies have given me a new hope. I'm shooting for the stars and aiming for BSL/ MBL by my next bday (July 10)!!:grin:

i was shoulder length forever, and fully convinced it would never grown any longer.

when i got here, then decided to transition it grew to mbl in 2007
chopped off relaxed ends to underarm length natural
then grew it back out to a little past bsl

had a setback due to color and decided to cut the whole thing off in june 2008
now im back at underarm as of july 2009 and if im lucky i hope to surpass my longest length and get to at least waist or hip length.

now back in 2004 had anyone told me id be able to grow my hair out so easily i would have had them committed. :|

Last edited:
Not sure if I qualify for this one. Granted I have had shoulder length and longer hair since about age 10/11, I have done 2 BC's in the last 4 years. BC as in cutting from MBL to cropped fauxhawk (about 4 inches long in top, 1/2 to 1 inch on sides-Sept 2007). 2nd BC was June 2008 (to go natural) and that resulted in a TWA, about 4 in. long stretched. Now I am BSL (July 2009). Basically in one year I went from a TWA to BSL unstretched in 13 mos. I believe you can have your desired length (whatever that is) as long as you take care of your hair properly...in order to get there.

That may include protective styling, less chemical applications, going natural, etc. Example, I know I won't get to waist length and longer unless I am doing the PS thing and low manipulation. I don't believe genetics are the main determining factor, because my mom has had a "Halle Berry cut" since she was in high school (except growing it out to shoulder length once or twice). Most of her maintaining it so short was desire, but the other is because she was into curling her hair daily and wrapping it nightly and if she let it get long, it was thin and see-thru using those methods. My dad is shaven bald. Aunty fries and dyes her hair off...but paternal grandma does have waist length+ hair. It has a LOT to do with care. Sorry so long, but HTH & HHG!!:yep:

Oh yeah as for the other questions, I PS about 99% of the time, and haven't trimmed my hair in 10 or 11 mos. I would've been hip length by now had I not been so scissor-happy (mainly thru 2003-2005).

Last edited:
For me I haven't cut my hair since the big chop (Nov 2008). I guess it's ok. I've only done one rollerset style and my ends looked alright. Although it may have been longer as a child, I don't remember my hair going much farther than APL once I was relaxed. It was a cycle of damage and cutting. I'm at APL (at least some of my hair) and I hope to be a full BSL by DEC 2010. At that point I will consider my hair longer than I have remembered.

I was surfing youtube last night looking for inspirational videos on products and growth and I found this woman. She started off pretty short and grew her hair out very long! She started out in 06' and has come a very long way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Vpv3nwdEQ

Keep at it. No matter where others have started, you can accomplish your goals so long as you keep at it. I have also seen several posts on here from ladies whose hair is currently ear-length, including my own :). I think you just have to hunt for them.

From the front its MBL, From the Back WL. I started growing my hair in March 2006 and joined BHM. Later I found LHCF and both have been so helpful in growing my hair out. Amazingly enough I havent had any set backs but I credit that to having a very simple routine. I just bun! I also don't use any heat in my hair (about 2.5 years now).

Last edited:
For the ladies that started out with shorter hair, what protective styles can you wear when your hair is too short for a bun?

Hello all, I just want to satrt out by saying I hope everyone has a heppy hair day!!! But there's been something that's been on my mind for quite some time. I've been going through all of these threads and browsing (and sometimes stalking :blush:) and I came across something. Alot of the women that were rocking these beautiful lengths had long hair all along (weather they had natural hair or not). Now granted, my hair is currently APL at its longest peice, but I was wondering were there any ladies who had long hair that DIDN'T have long hair before ( as in BSL or MBL). I was just really curious, as I wonder if my hair will one day make it there!! Please give me your input, and if you have pics, links, reggies, etc please do share, as I appreciate any info given (I'm still learning)!!

My fotki:
http://members.fotki.com/beauti4dlo/about/

I completely understand what you're saying. I started noticing a couple of months ago that a lot of the favorite LHCF "hair idols" have had long hair all of their lives, or at least off and on :ohwell:. I actually even stopped logging in for a couple of months after I noticed that. It seemed like....I dunno.....

Anyhow, there are a lot of women who started off with short hair, for real. I hope to be one of them. I started with Chin/Nape length and my long term goal is WL. My hair has always been healthy but never longer than shoulder length.

Well in 2005 I cut my hair to this:
Short2-vi.jpg

And on July 1, it was this:
100_2696.jpg

Here is my fotki album with photo's along the way with mini explanations:
http://public.fotki.com/missmusic/progress-pics-from-/

and if you start at the beginning of these blog post, here is the full explanation:
http://fromshorttolong.blogspot.com...-max=2008-12-03T08:16:00-05:00&max-results=20

When I started here in 2006 I was between chin and neck length.. I am now going for mbl.. My hair grows slooowww... I protective styled 99% of the time.. My hair was always in a octopus clip... I actually have my hair in a octopus clip now slathered with conditioner.. I cant help myself I am doing everything to make it to mbl... If it can happen for me it can happen for anyone...As a child I had chewed up 4a hair that was a mess, it was at its longest neck length... My hair has never been this long.

When I started here in 2006 I was between chin and neck length.. I am now going for mbl.. My hair grows slooowww... I protective styled 99% of the time.. My hair was always in a octopus clip... I actually have my hair in a octopus clip now slathered with conditioner.. I cant help myself I am doing everything to make it to mbl... If it can happen for me it can happen for anyone...As a child I had chewed up 4a hair that was a mess, it was at its longest neck length... My hair has never been this long.

This is very inspirational SoonerGirl! As a child I had chewed up 4b hair as well. I am still on a mission to prove the naysayers wrong and I most certainly will:grin:

This is a great inspirational thread. The consistent theme seems to be to stick to a good hair care reggie and be patient. Great advice! Thanks ladies!

My relaxed hair never went past my shoulders and I didn't have long hair as a kid. Low manipulation (mostly cuz I didn't know what I was doing) really helped me retain length. You can check out my fotki...

OP, my hair was neck length almost 2 years ago and it is now MBL (or close to it). Prior to chopping off my hair and joining NC and LHCF I was a forever shoulder length. I was probably SL for like 15 years. I'm hoping to be waist length by Christmas.

This is a 2007/2009 comparison picture. I always laugh when I see that pig tail LOL
Comparison-vi.jpg

I completely understand what you're saying. I started noticing a couple of months ago that a lot of the favorite LHCF "hair idols" have had long hair all of their lives, or at least off and on :ohwell:. I actually even stopped logging in for a couple of months after I noticed that. It seemed like....I dunno.....

Anyhow, there are a lot of women who started off with short hair, for real. I hope to be one of them. I started with Chin/Nape length and my long term goal is WL. My hair has always been healthy but never longer than shoulder length.

While the bolded is true, you cannot let it get you bogged down. My hair has always grown to a little past shoulder length and broken right off like clockwork. I found this site and seeing all the beautiful heads of hair only served to inspire me to get to where they are.

When I got my touchup in April, my hair was brushing my brastrap, which has NEVER happened to me. How did I achieve that? I went to foktis of relaxed ladies such as babygurl, slyver2, both of whom have waist length hair but started with shoulder length hair or a bit past that if I'm not mistaken. I try to have a low maintenance regimen and not use too many products.

Sorry for the lecture but don't let the MBL and WL ladies make you think that because they started at BSL and reached their goal, it won't work for you. Take care of your hair the best you can and she will love you for it. :yep:

Back