Skin Lotion for Hair Moisturization?

*Muffin*

Do any of you use skin lotion to moisturize your hair? I have this all natural skin lotion that's main component is shea butter, and I wanted to know if skin lotion could be a good hair moisturizer. I usually use conditioner. TIA :).

gissellr78

Do any of you use skin lotion to moisturize your hair? I have this all natural skin lotion that's main component is shea butter, and I wanted to know if skin lotion could be a good hair moisturizer. I usually use conditioner. TIA :).

No i think it would leave ur hair sticky

lashannasmall

There is a company called Nikk's soul tress that makes a combination hair and body lotion that is superb. I use it on my daughter's hair and it softens and defines her curls. It is, however, expensive. It is about 90% natural except for the perservative at the very bottom of the ingrediant list :(

http://www.augisa.com/haircare.html

MissMusic

Yep, I used Vaseline Intensive Care Total Moisture lotion for awhile before finding Hairveda. Its ingredients are surprisingly hair friendly and it works! Lots of ladies used it for awhile, do a search about it and you'll come up with some threads.

tkj25

yes, i've done it before with success!:) some make great leave-ins. one i just found is everyday shea moisturizing body lotion at wholefoods. you have to try though, to see if your hair will agree with the idea.:grin: i find it works best when i'm twisting, braiding, or protective styling my hair.

morehairplease

There is a company called Nikk's soul tress that makes a combination hair and body lotion that is superb. I use it on my daughter's hair and it softens and defines her curls. It is, however, expensive. It is about 90% natural except for the perservative at the very bottom of the ingrediant list :(

http://www.augisa.com/haircare.html

Hi there,

Are the ingredients listed anywhere on the site? I am in the market for a creamy daily moisturizer and this sounds promising.

lilmsjanet

it makes my hair feel so soft and shiny

STLCoverGirl

Yep, I used Vaseline Intensive Care Total Moisture lotion for awhile before finding Hairveda. Its ingredients are surprisingly hair friendly and it works! Lots of ladies used it for awhile, do a search about it and you'll come up with some threads.

Me too! I use it for braidouts on occassion, works really well.

lowridin76

I did it a few times when I was out, and didn't have any moisturizer with me! It was enough to get me through the day...I was actually surprised!

BrooklynSouth

Definitely works especially the Vaseline Intensive care but it does attract lint to my hair so it's only used when I'm going to shampoo within the next day or two.

*Muffin*

yes, i've done it before with success!:) some make great leave-ins. one i just found is everyday shea moisturizing body lotion at wholefoods. you have to try though, to see if your hair will agree with the idea.:grin: i find it works best when i'm twisting, braiding, or protective styling my hair.

That's exactly the one I have, lol. I tried it and it works okay, but I can't use it straight up because it's too heavy. I'm probably going to dilute it with water and mix it with a bit of conditioner and use it as my everyday moisturizer. Other than slight heaviness my hair feels moisturized.

Denise11

It's possible, but it sounds like it'll feel waxy or sticky.

With all of the hair moisturizers in the world-why would you want to use a body lotion?

tkj25

That's exactly the one I have, lol. I tried it and it works okay, but I can't use it straight up because it's too heavy. I'm probably going to dilute it with water and mix it with a bit of conditioner and use it as my everyday moisturizer. Other than slight heaviness my hair feels moisturized.

lol, i'm mad 'cause we're talking about the same lotion:grin: (i love that it comes in a 32 oz bottle) ... my hair laughs at any moisturizer that's not a little on the heavy side, but diluting it sounds like it a good option too.

Lady S

I used a body butter I got from World Market on my hair and it had the nerve to overmoisturize it. :laugh:

*Muffin*

It's possible, but it sounds like it'll feel waxy or sticky.

With all of the hair moisturizers in the world-why would you want to use a body lotion?

Because it's 32 ounces, the ingredients look good, and it's cheap. But so far I like the way my hair feels when I moisturize it with conditioner and oil better.

SelfStyled

IIRC, selfstyled uses a body lotion by Alba Botanica as a hair moisturizer and she really likes it.

I sure do:yep: I never ever found a suitable hair moisturizer, either I did not like the ingredients or they had protein in them.

I have been using this body cream by Abba Botanicals for about 7-8 months now.

My hair has never been this moisturized EVER. It goes on light, my hair is extremely dry and this works like a charm.

The ingredients are great also:
Purified water, certified organic aloe barbadenis leaf juice, caprylic/capric triglyceride, safflower seed oil, stearic acid, vegetably glycerin, glyceryl stearate, glyceryl alcohol, shea butter, polysorbate 60, dimethicone, extracts of kukui seed, vanilla fruit, cucumber fruit, arnica montana flower and anacylus pyrethrum root, kukui seed oil, macadamia seed oil, cocoa seed butter, beta carotene, phenoxyethanol, ethylhexyglycerin, potassium, sorbate, vitamin e, carbomer, caramel and fragrance.

discodumpling

Yeah...skin lotion will work. I've used my vaseline lotion sealed with coconut oil to bun my hair with no adverse effects.

PatTodd

Not exactly lotion, but I sometimes use a bit of Wal-Mart Simply Basic body butter (that I bought for its intended purpose!) to moisturize my hair at night - it works great and is soooooo soft the next day.

Ivy Santolina

Thanks Muffin for asking this question. I was thinking the same thing all week. My skin absolutely loves the Cetaphil skin creme so I was thinking about applying it to my hair post-wash to seal in the moisture and soften it. My skins sucks up the Cetaphil and there is no greasy or filmy residue. My other creme leave-in hair conditioners are OK so I was looking for an alternative.

I'm currently DCing my hair and after reading everyone's posts I got the courage to use the Cetaphil after I rinse out my DC. I will post an update - good or bad.

*Muffin*

Thanks Muffin for asking this question. I was thinking the same thing all week. My skin absolutely loves the Cetaphil skin creme so I was thinking about applying it to my hair post-wash to seal in the moisture and soften it. My skins sucks up the Cetaphil and there is no greasy or filmy residue. My other creme leave-in hair conditioners are OK so I was looking for an alternative.

I'm currently DCing my hair and after reading everyone's posts I got the courage to use the Cetaphil after I rinse out my DC. I will post an update - good or bad.

Your welcome. Please let us know how it turns out. I've come to the conclusion that some skin lotions can be used as hair moisturizers, and others aren't as great. You just have to find one that works for you and is the right consistency for your hair type. My hair likes thinner things and heavier things kind of weigh it down and leave it chunky feeling. My ends love it though.

Ivy Santolina

Your welcome. Please let us know how it turns out. I've come to the conclusion that some skin lotions can be used as hair moisturizers, and others aren't as great. You just have to find one that works for you and is the right consistency for your hair type. My hair likes thinner things and heavier things kind of weigh it down and leave it chunky feeling. My ends love it though.

I applied the Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream to my hair and it's currently air drying in braids (11 total). Normally I air dry in twists but they wouldn't stay in. I added the cream's information and ingredients to the end of this post.

Today I hendigo'd my edges and roots then I applied a DC of Avocado, Rhassoul clay, honey, marshmallow root and left over hendigo. My hair felt very soft and tangle free after rinsing out the DC. I finished with an herb infused ACV rinse. I chose not to t-shirt dry my hair like I usually do. Instead I squeezed out as much liquid as possible then applied the Cetaphil.

My hair immediately soaked up the cream. There was no white residue. I usually have that problem with Giovanni, BWC and NTM leave-in cream conditioners. I pretty much gave up hope on finding a leave-in cream.

My hair felt silky but I dreaded detangling it. I was pleasantly surprised. My detangling comb effortlessly slid through my hair and I mostly saw shed hair. I had very little breakage. For S&G's I moved to narrower combs and even attempted a fine-tooth rat-tail comb. I never run a fine tooth comb through my hair. That's suicide. I was able to get the fine tooth comb from my roots to almost through my ends. I could feel my ends straining under the stress so I stopped. My ends are not in the best condition. I've never been able to do that before.

So far my hair loves Cetaphil cream as much as my skin loves it. However, I did apply a little too much. My hair soaked it up so quickly I didn't think I applied enough so I applied a little more. Less is more with this product.

Tomorrow morning and evening will be the final test as to whether I should keep using this product. If my hair still feels moisturized and soft tomorrow evening then I'm adding this cream to my hair care regimen.

I'll post another update.

Cetaphil® Moisturizing Cream

A creamy formula ideal for dry, sensitive areas.

For dry, sensitive skin, Cetaphil® Moisturizing Cream is a non-greasy cream formula that is excellent for the hands, feet, elbows and knees – anywhere that requires intensive moisturization. It is cosmetically appealing for facial use as well. It is also fragrance-free.

Dermatologists have been recommending Cetaphil® Moisturizing Cream to help alleviate dry skin associated with eczema and psoriasis for over 20 years.

Ingredients: Water, Petrolatum, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Dicaprylyl Ether, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, PEG-30 Glyceryl Stearate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hydroxide, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Dimethiconol, Disodium EDTA, Propylene Glycol.

Attachments

• img_moist_cream.jpg
    img_moist_cream.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 0

Ivy Santolina

Okay, here's my promised update. The Cetaphil is a keeper for me. I'm on day 2 of having it in my hair and my hair is still soft and moisturized. I forgot to cover my hair during my post-workout shower today and my hair got misted. Usually when that happens my ends start to frizz. Not this time. I lost my bantu knot out coils but I didn't lose my soft texture. Every other night after wash day I would apply a spray leave-in condish to my ends then seal them with a light oil because they would feel a little dehydrated. It's not necessary tonight. How long it will last I don't know. But, I expect that I will need to apply the Cetaphil cream only on wash day. I believe this cream will be too heavy during the Summer. My plan is to dilute it with a little water/rose water/aloe very juice before applying to my hair. Or, I will experiment with the SPF15 Face Lotion.

*Muffin*

Okay, here's my promised update. The Cetaphil is a keeper for me. I'm on day 2 of having it in my hair and my hair is still soft and moisturized. I forgot to cover my hair during my post-workout shower today and my hair got misted. Usually when that happens my ends start to frizz. Not this time. I lost my bantu knot out coils but I didn't lose my soft texture. Every other night after wash day I would apply a spray leave-in condish to my ends then seal them with a light oil because they would feel a little dehydrated. It's not necessary tonight. How long it will last I don't know. But, I expect that I will need to apply the Cetaphil cream only on wash day. I believe this cream will be too heavy during the Summer. My plan is to dilute it with a little water/rose water/aloe very juice before applying to my hair. Or, I will experiment with the SPF15 Face Lotion.

Thanks so much for the update. I'm glad that it worked out for you. We might be on to something with the lotion thing, lol. You give nice and descriptive reviews :).

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I use that and I really like it. I actually have the Equate version. It's great for braid-outs.

Blue_Berry

I love using lotion on my hair if it all natural ingredients. I will choose Giovanni Hydrate Body Lotion Hazelnut Vanilla over the Direct Leave-In any day. It much thicker and I love the moisture benefit. The smell is amazing and the fragrance is suppose to be natural with essential oils. I think some lotionS are not different then moisturizer for your hair. The only difference is I consider lotion to smell really good.

http://www.beso.com/giovanni-hydrate-body-lotion-hazelnut-vanilla-85-oz/928126148/detail