Silk Amino Acids...how are you using it and how is it working?

CocoGlow

My only concern/fear/minor freakout about doing something like that is the potential for infection. The 'homemade' mixture won't have any preservatives in it, and you'll be reusing that same wand over and over and over and over again - introducing all sorts of buggies that are riding on your lashes into the mixture. :ohwell:
I dunno, years of extremely poor vision make me squirelly about putting almost anything near my eyes.
I planned on qtipping the castor oil and tossing the tips afterwards so as to not contaminate the whole bottle... ya know?

hmmm..you raise a good point ..but what would be the difference between using the oils + SAA w/ the same wand and using regular mascara w/ the same wand?

I don't think the oils need preservatives unless water is introduced to it...does SAA need preservatives at all or does it need to be stored in the fridge, etc?

Wait I get it..do you mean that the germs from my eyes would infect the oils and then when I reuse the wand I will infect my eyes?

Do the preservatives used in regular mascara protect you from re-infecting your eyes w/ your germs or are they just there to prevent the actual mascara from spoiling (that's what I thought)?

I'm new to this LOL

Last edited:

MissRissa

Yeah I'm with RINA, im so confused. If the silk and oil have long shelf life, do we need preservatives for it? and whats the difference between that and a regular bottle of mascara? I don't think about stuff like that, ill be the one to cause blindness thinking im really doing something.

JustKiya

hmmm..you raise a good point ..but what would be the difference between using the oils + SAA w/ the same wand and using regular mascara w/ the same wand?

I don't think the oils need preservatives unless water is introduced to it...does SAA need preservatives at all or does it need to be stored in the fridge, etc?

Wait I get it..do you mean that the germs from my eyes would infect the oils and then when I reuse the wand I will infect my eyes?

Do the preservatives used in regular mascara protect you from re-infecting your eyes w/ your germs
or are they just there to prevent the actual mascara from spoiling (that's what I thought)?

I'm new to this LOL

Yup, that bold is it exactly - or at least how I understand it. I think that there is an antibacterial in the mascara to kill anything introduced to it, as well as something to prevent it from spoiling. I could totally be wrong - TOTALLY... but I dunno. :ohwell: It seems like there would have to be SOMETHING in it to insure that nothing incubated in that nice dark tube that's usually in a semi-warm place, ya know?

CocoGlow

Yup, that bold is it exactly - or at least how I understand it. I think that there is an antibacterial in the mascara to kill anything introduced to it, as well as something to prevent it from spoiling. I could totally be wrong - TOTALLY... but I dunno. :ohwell: It seems like there would have to be SOMETHING in it to insure that nothing incubated in that nice dark tube that's usually in a semi-warm place, ya know?

hmm now you've got me scared...I just recieved my package of empty mascara bottles too ...I don't want to risk getting an eye infection though..UGGHHH...oh well maybe I'll just use a q-tip or something ...but I just wanted it to be easier to apply to my lashes and to mix it w/ SAA :sad:

blueenigma

If you guys want to get your hands on Keratin (good to use in combination with the silk amino acid), head on over to Garden of Wisom and order the hydrolized keratin (4 oz) online, for a little over 8 bucks. I actually think Garden of Wisdom is Lotioncrafters operating under a different name. If you look at the language, it is near identical. However, Garden of Wisom has an easier user interface and seems to have more products and also offers many premade solutions.

I did purchase the Silk Amino Acid and Cottonseed Protein from LotionCrafters, however, and am waiting for the delivery.

Last edited:

blueenigma

I served up a really nice batch of amino magic tonight, and hope it serves me well! I filled an applicator bottle with 4oz of silk amino acids, 4oz of hydrolized keratin, and 2oz of cottonseed protein. I shook the mixture vigorously and then filled thirteen 5/8oz ampules with the mixture ( I used the empty ampules that once contained Smooth 'N Shine Repair Xtreme leave-in treatment). Since the ampules are sized for single use treatments, they are perfect for measuring out single dosages of my mixture; each time I use a treatment, I will simply distribute the entire ampule onto my hair. And the ampules are plastic (unlike some which are made of glass), so there is no concern of breaking if you like to lug the stuff around..perhaps to the gym, on vacation, or to the hair salon. I originally thought about mixing the items into a product so I rushed out and purchased Tresseme Smooth and Silky. Then I ran out and purchased a jar of Pantene Hair Mask, figuring it would be easier to mix the stuff in a wide jar as oppossed to a small necked bottle. Finally, however, I decided to just use the mixture in the raw. I am excited about the mixture, and can't wait to report the results.

blueenigma

hmm now you've got me scared...I just recieved my package of empty mascara bottles too ...I don't want to risk getting an eye infection though..UGGHHH...oh well maybe I'll just use a q-tip or something ...but I just wanted it to be easier to apply to my lashes and to mix it w/ SAA :sad:
Mix it with your mascara. If the mascara already has some kind of anti bacterial/anti fungal ingredient, and you introduce the amino acid, you should be protected. Your new mixture would include the mascara, the protecting agent built into the mascara (if there is one), and the amino acid. Once you mix it together, the entire mixture should then, theoreticaly, be antibacterial/anti fungal; there would be no way for the protecting agent to discriminate. It should secure the entire mixture.
I say go ahead and pour it in, mix it together, and have a blast!!!

Last edited:

amber815

Thanks to you all and your persuasive words lol I ordered SAA, honeyquat, amla oil, and broccoli seed oil.

I put some elasta breakage control serum (I felt my hair needed a lil protein this wash), 2 caps (the little red one) of the SAA and honeyquat and approx the same of the oils in my Lustrasilk Aloe DC...OMG my hair was FABULOUS!!!
I then did my final rinse with the french perm stabilizer...SUPER FABULOUS!!!

So I did my usual leave in of Fermodyl 619 and rusk smoother and hung out in my shower cap for a little while while I mixed in my spray bottle of about 2.5 caps of SAA, 2 caps of Honeyquat, about 1.5 caps of broccoli seed oil, water, and some elasta qp h-two. Lets just say my rollerset was even more fabulous than usual. My hair came out so shiny and soft. It actually looks like I flat ironed and then used a curling iron, and it has so much body.

Y'all need to run and get this stuff!!! (not tryin to encourage excessive PJism but the ish works!! lol)

....I'm a happy camper....:grin:

Last edited:

Blessed_Angel

I just recieved my order of SAA and Honeyquat today. I wish I'd read this thread first, I would have also ordered the oat & wheat protein along with the GuarCat (keratin).

I am under the dryer now with my rollerset, so I'll let ya'll know of my results.

Last edited:

The Princess

Ole man Not AGAIN:wallbash: Im offically a PJ. I just placed my order, and I hoping for good results. :grin:

I ordered the Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Honeyquat, Hydrolyzed Oats and the infamous SAA.

I guess I will start by using it in my CO washes and Leave in, and start leafing out to other things to put it in. I wish I would have found this site earlier. However its never to late to start growing some hair. :grin:

youwillrise

who's still using and loving the silk amino acids?

i've been wanting to try this for a while
but havent yet. haha.

think i might pick some up soooooooon.

MJ

I have never read any of the SAA threads until today :look:. But I've been checking my budget, and I think I'm going to try it. I'm not sure when I'll buy it though, but sometimes this year. It sounds pretty good. I can already think of how it can help me achieve my goals.

girlcherokee

anyone putting this in their growth aid? it just occured to me that if it will grow eyelashes which dont usually grow past where they are, it might grow hair. just wondering....

*fabulosity*

I am such a PJ... What do we think about adding a little bit to the WEN? Hmmm... wen friends don't kill me since I'm not official yet.. LOL.

I gots plans for mine and PJ'ism... (As I'mma need another rolling drawer for all this stuff)

Plan 1 (Mind you all this stuff was ordered today) and let me know if this is overkill...lol

I ordered two 33 oz bottles of Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner. Got some 24 oz pump bottles from Sally's.

This mix is going to be my daily cowash.
Kenra MC
SAA
Honey Quat
Meadowfoam Seed Oil

Plan II: Ayurveda Swing CoWash
Kenra MC
SAA
Amla powder
Shikikai Powder
Light Coconut Oil
HoneyQuat...

I am an OCT'er so I'm not sure if I should be adding the wheat/oat protein (told you I was a PJ)..Is that too much protein or can they fit in a mix somewhere in here?

MJ

I got my SAA today. I bought 8 oz. from Lotioncrafter. I'm still not sure exactly how much I should use, but I'm going to be very conservative. I want this bottle to last me a long time. I plan on putting it in everything I use on my hair.

tiffupretty

we are in a recession and i cant stop ordering products....just confirmed my order...*sits and waits patiently for big brown truck*

lynndiallo

Still using, still loving!

JustKiya, are you referring to your eye lashes or your hair? I want to know your experience with the SAA in your hair because I want to know how it works on natural hair. I will PM your because I know this thread is a little old.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I have a question. I will be self relaxing my hair on Jan 1st. I plan to spray my hair prior with SAA concentrating on the new growth. I wondering what the order of processing should be?

1. base scalp
2. spray with saa
3. oil previously relaxed hair
4. apply relaxer to new growth only

What do you think? TIA!

LaidBak

I have been researching this for 2 days now. My eyes are tired from reading all the threads. End result...I ordered some from lotioncrafters and I will start by adding it to my Pantene leave-in and my DCs. I am hoping that this protein will actually be gentler on my hair than the others I have tried.

titan

:bump::bump::bump:

I purchased this product about a month ago, and I like the product . I wonder if their any ladies out there that have used this product for a year or more? :spinning:

larry3344

Just wondering what is the difference between silk peptide and silk amino acids, I ordered silk peptide.

newflowers

The use of silk in relaxers and conditioners is one of the best lhcf tips ever. Using silk makes my relaxer even better and my hair is stronger, silkier, shinier, and healthier. I also add hydrolyzed wheat protein and panthenol as well for extra moisture - excellent blend for my hair.

ETA - This is my third year of adding these proteins; I will use them always.

I also have silk peptide powder from FNWL - I use it once a month by adding to one of my deep conditioners - great stuff.

one more time - I spray all of my hair will saa before relaxing, but I make sure there is plenty of time to dry. I also add a tablespoon to the relaxer.

As a side benefit, I put saa on my lashes and it makes them LONGER!!!

Last edited: