Should I be consistently co-washing in braids?

I_shure_do_wish

Well Im getting ready for a co-wash but Im starting to worry about the possibility of buildup. I just washed my hair two days ago and want to go ahead with a co – wash and probably a next one on Thursday. The thing is since im in single braids im worried that it may lead to some major buildup and all my efforts would be washed down the drain.

From a girl whose worn braids for like forever, don't use store bought products. You will definitely get build up out of this world right where the joint of the braid is.(you know, where the hair is attached). If I were you, I'd rinse in cool water and use things like a watered down honey/EVOO moisturizing condish. Just let your head stay under the running water to make sure everything is gone. If it's not all gone, it won't rot your hair or damage it, it's all natural. I'd just be concerned about ants! LOL! But if you just want a clean head of braids, use baking soda on your scalp. Rub it in dry and rinse. I'd do this once every two weeks or so. Also rinsing your head in ACV and water. Just my two cents!

I wear braids often, as a matter of fact I am in some Senegalese Twists right now:yep:

I usually co-wash the first week and then then following week I do a big wash with shampoo, conditioner and a spray leave in.

I think that washing that often will lead to build up:yep: But just be very gentle when you take down your braids and detangle. And remember to dilute your products very well while in braids.

I hope that helps some:drunk:

BUMPING for more replies:grin:

From a girl whose worn braids for like forever, don't use store bought products. You will definitely get build up out of this world right where the joint of the braid is.(you know, where the hair is attached). If I were you, I'd rinse in cool water and use things like a watered down honey/EVOO moisturizing condish. Just let your head stay under the running water to make sure everything is gone. If it's not all gone, it won't rot your hair or damage it, it's all natural. I'd just be concerned about ants! LOL! But if you just want a clean head of braids, use baking soda on your scalp. Rub it in dry and rinse. I'd do this once every two weeks or so. Also rinsing your head in ACV and water. Just my two cents!

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice girl and trust me im going to take in your suggestion. Lol yea im going to be worried about the ants. Any baking soda will do?

Thanks sexy sin! I wanted to get me some of those twists but it seems impossible to find a professional who can do it well. But I've never thought of diluting my prodicts I did it a couple of times without being aware of it

Yep, any baking soda. The last time I was braided up I sported some senegalese twists for 8 months. Yes 8 and as you can see, I didn't go bald like everyone said I would. Hey, I've been wearing braids for 6 months or longer and have never lost my hair. It would be AFTER I took them down that my hair would shed. Thank God I found out what the cause was(my hair is allergic to cones and most store bought products, how crazy is that???). But I totally agree with being careful in taking them down. I dedicate a whole entire day and use a metal rat tail to gently pick through. Like I said, do I look like my hairline suffered or that I lost any hair? Hmmmm.....

Yep, any baking soda. The last time I was braided up I sported some senegalese twists for 8 months. Yes 8 and as you can see, I didn't go bald like everyone said I would. Hey, I've been wearing braids for 6 months or longer and have never lost my hair. It would be AFTER I took them down that my hair would shed. Thank God I found out what the cause was(my hair is allergic to cones and most store bought products, how crazy is that???). But I totally agree with being careful in taking them down. I dedicate a whole entire day and use a metal rat tail to gently pick through. Like I said, do I look like my hairline suffered or that I lost any hair? Hmmmm.....

oh my... are you wearing the exact same brainds for 6 months at a time, or are you getting them re-done?

Back