short hair naturals: how do you wear

chebaby

your hair everyday?
during the summer i wash and go everyday. now that its cold i either keep my hair in braids, w/o exstentions, or i do braid outs. my hair is just out of the twa stage. i have about 7 inches all around and with braid out the back of my hair rests on my shirt colar.
i guess i just want to know how are all the short hair naturals wearing their hair now that its winter?

My hair is quite short. I've managed to manoeuvre it into buns this winter and it's been helping me retain a lot of length. HTH. :)

when it first started getting cold i was wearing twists and braids for a week at a tome, take it out, start over. that was great for retaining growth but then i started doing braid outs and im still retaining but i feel like im not really ps'ing :(

when it first started getting cold i was wearing twists and braids for a week at a tome, take it out, start over. that was great for retaining growth but then i started doing braid outs and im still retaining but i feel like im not really ps'ing :(

I consider braid outs and twist outs protective styles: my hair usually stays more moisturized, it doesn't shrink up and cause knots.

Last winter I did a lot of twists, coils, and twist/coil outs.

yes KCcurly, i noticed my hair stays very moisturized in braid outs so i love that. i also love how each day it looks different.

Ive been wearing my hair up in braids. I tried doing twist out but the weather in Oklahoma (16 degrees) is drying my hair out fast...

Good question. Alas, I've still been doing wash and gos, much to the detriment of my hair. :nono:

I think that I'm going to braid it without extensions by the end of this week. Good tips, everyone. :yep:

when i say short i mean anything above full sl.
the reason i say that is because ii think once your hair hangs past your shoulder, as long as you take care of your ends, ps'ing isnt needed as much.
when i was relaxed i never protective styled my hair and it thrived but now that im natural every little think makes me think "is this good for my hair". lol.

I have been doing WnGs and wigs. I really need to figure out something though. I cw daily so that's a dilemma too. My hair has been doing great though. Go figure.

I have been doing WnGs and wigs. I really need to figure out something though. I cw daily so that's a dilemma too. My hair has been doing great though. Go figure.

Yeah, I have to say that my hair looks good for cowashing daily... however, I firmly believe that that's too much manipulation for someone with fine, 4A/B hair. And this was confirmed when I had twists and my hair did extremely well, even without cowashing - just spraying it with my mix of rose water and Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier, and sealing with QB Detangling Ghee. My hair was moisturized and soft.

Twist or braids in an updo style. I like to dress up my updos with different accessories so they don't look plain.

when i say short i mean anything above full sl.
the reason i say that is because ii think once your hair hangs past your shoulder, as long as you take care of your ends, ps'ing isnt needed as much.
when i was relaxed i never protective styled my hair and it thrived but now that im natural every little think makes me think "is this good for my hair". lol.

On the contrary, it's when hair gets to shoulder length and slightly past that protective stying is a must if you want to see it get any longer. This is precisely why getting from SL to APL is so hard, coz the hair gets to rub on clothes more and then ends get damaged from that friction.

When my hair was shorter than shoulder, it grew without protective styling. I was in braids but I didn't do anything to my ends. I didn't moisturize or keep them tucked away and my hair grew from about 3 inches to shoulder length in about 14 months. After that, it's not going anywhere coz my ends are now touching my clothes and are therefore exposed to more abuse. I believe if I do stick to my plan of protective styling by baggying 24/7 thus keeping ends from drying and from friction with clothes, I just might make it to APL.

I have worn my hair pulled back in a puff, or cornrows in front and puff in the back, twists styled in different ways (updo, pulled back with a phony puff), or under hats/wraps with a plastic cap underneath.

I've been doing twists to retain length and moisture. I twist for a week then cowash and twist again. I will wear an occasional pony puff, puff or WNG when I'm lazy or I want to play with my hair (just a lil).

My hair is just making it to SL and I am now trying to do updo's with my twists to help maintain what I've grown. I can definitely feel the hair snagging on collars so I'm even keeping my hair wrapped when I'm in the house to really baby the ends.

I just BC'd on 12/20/09 and I have around 4 inches of hair. Other than wigs I'm not sure how to protect it for winter. Wigs can be fun but I'm not crazy about wearing them every day. I wore a lacefront for 3 days after my BC and that was all I could stand. I think I'll baggy each day when I get home and overnight until I can figure out what to do...

lately i have been going back and forth between w&g and twists. this week i plan on doing w&gs for the most part. i love them lol. on saturday or sunday i will put my hair back in individual twists.

I still wear a shake and go. comb out in shower with the aid of oodles of suave suds or conditioner, rinse out without disturbing curl pattern, comb out of shower, shake shake shake, spray H2 and don a headband or two clips in front.

Back