Sheep Sorrel

moonpower

I CAN SEE, SEE THE SUN..
Has anyone here ever heard of this?. A couple of years ago I ordered this in an ointment for you edges. It was for thinning edges and this ladsold it on the internet. I think her name was Crystal. The website was called something like Crystals CR Secrets. The article that talked about her products was in Essence, though I don't remember the month.
Anybody know about it??

Scientific Names:
Rumex acetosella L. [Fam. Polygonaceae]

Forms:
Aqueous extract of whole or cut dried herb

Traditional Usage:
- Anti-diarrhea
- Anti-inflammatory
- Antioxidant
- Cellular Regeneration
- Cleansing
- Detoxifying
- Diuretic
- Laxative
- Scurvy
- Vascular Disorders

Overview:
At least ten Native tribes of Canada and the United States have used this plant, also known as sour grass or sour weed, as a food and medicine. Sheep sorrel is a popular ingredient of many folk remedies and the tea was used traditionally as a diuretic and to treat fevers, inflammation and scurvy. Sheep sorrel was considered the most active herb in Essiac for stimulating cellular regeneration, detoxification and cleansing, based on reports by Rene Caisse and her doctor colleague who did studies with mice bearing abnormal growths on the original eight herb formula. Interestingly, even though it is not a legume, sheep sorrel contains significant levels of phytoestrogens with notable estrogen receptor binding activity, similar to the isoflavone phytoestrogens common to red clover, licorice and soy, all legumes known for their strong health restorative properties. The herb also contains several anthraquinones that are effective antioxidants and radical scavengers. Although research is limited on sheep sorrel, closely related species contain a powerful antibacterial compound called rumicin, which is effective against Escherichia, Salmonella, and Staphylococcus. The high tannin content of the tea can also provide astringent action, which is useful for treating diarrhea and excessive menstrual bleeding. At low doses, most Rumex species are useful for treating diarrhea; however, at higher doses, they are laxatives due to the presence of anthraquinones that directly effect the neuromuscular tissue, stimulate peristalsis, increase the mucous production of colonic mucosa cells and stimulate secretion of water into the intestinal lumen, thereby exerting a laxative effect. A comparison of the distribution of anthraquinones in 19 representative species of Rumex showed an identical profile between Rumex acetosella and Rumex acetosa and good similarity to R. crispus. Rumex crispus has been used traditionally to treat anemia, anthrax, diarrhea, eczema, fever, itch, leprosy, malaria, rheumatism, ringworm and tuberculosis.

Back