Shea Butter

LBoogie

I bought some PURE shea butter from this Jamacian guy and I tried using it on my hair...disaster...I've read shea butter is good for the hair but it was so think and my hair was gooey and chalky...I tried microwaving it into an oil but that was after I had a coat of thick mess on my hair.

Does anyone know what the results would be if it were melted into an oil form and applied to clean hair or should I not waste my time?

Thanks

PrettyBrownEyes

Hi Lboogie,

I just read in A.Dickey's book titled Hair Rules!, that Shea butter is good as a pre-treatment on hair before shampooing. You would apply it to your hair and place a plastic cap on your head, sit under a warm dryer for 10-15 mins., shampoo it out, condition your hair with whatever conditioner you use, and follow with whatever other steps you use in your hair washing routine.

Maybe you should try it that way.

LBoogie

[ QUOTE ]
PrettyBrownEyes said:
Hi Lboogie,

I just read in A.Dickey's book titled Hair Rules!, that Shea butter is good as a pre-treatment on hair before shampooing. You would apply it to your hair and place a plastic cap on your head, sit under a warm dryer for 10-15 mins., shampoo it out, condition your hair with whatever conditioner you use, and follow with whatever other steps you use in your hair washing routine.

Maybe you should try it that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, will try

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I love shea butter! Some people use it as a pre shampoo treatment like prettybrowneyes said. I use it as a preshampoo treatment mixed with olive oil and honey. I also melt it down a little and put it on my hair, cover my hair with a plastic cap for about 10 mins, dampen with distilled water and do a braid out. When I take my braids out they are soft and my ends feel moisturized the entire day. I also use it on my body when I get out of the shower. It works better than baby oil.

Chrissy811

I am going to try the pre-treatment. I found out about shea butter on my honeymoon on the islands. I forgot to pack any hair moisturizer and bought the shea butter at a stand. It worked well for me because I was pulling my hair in a ponytail and swimming. It kept my hair healthy but you have to use a light touch when applying.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I have a twa and when I'm in between cuts and want my hair to lay flat, I rub some shea butter to melt in the palms of my hand and apply to freshly shampooed hair, then tie at night. I only use a dab and never have the problems you explained. Maybe you're using too much? oh, melting it and using it as an oil is good, but on dry not damp hair...

sweetpea5000

I like using shea butter on my ends mostly. It is pretty thick but if you use it like you would use vaseline or grease (go easy!) I find that it works better than either of those. I would like to try it as a preshampoo treatment, too, sounds like a good idea!

Nonpareil

Try the "shealoe" butter from From Nature with Love. It's soft and creamy kind of like a hair creme - it's blend of aloe and shea butter.

Jade21

If you are having problems with the butter, try the shea oil. It is MUCH easier to use and control with your hair.

My experience: I really like shea butter, but I always had to mix it with an oil which was NOT what I wanted. I wanted to use it straight, but I found that it left a residue on my hair. It just felt coated, even if it was soft, so I started looking for alternatives. I found the oil (hydrogenated shea butter), LOVED it and have never looked back.

The best quality shea oil which I have used, I purchased at SnowdriftFarm.com. The price is excellent and the quality is superior. Definitely check out over there because I think you will be very pleased!

Peace, Love and Shea Oil,

Jade

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I warm it a bit but WARM not heat it for my pre shampoo treatment. I put a little in a container and sit the container on my stove top while I boil water. The heat from the water boiling softens it enough that I can get it in my hair. Sometimes I mix it with jojoba or avacado oils that I have already warmed and it blends right in.

B

ballet_bun

When I use it, I put it on my hair without melting it. I do however, warm it in my hands. I use it on my edges when I have a lot of newgrowth, and then use the curling iron to straighten the edges. Looks freshly relaxed. I try not to do this too much!!!!! I also use it on my ends,after wetting them with distilled water.

I would really like to try liquid Shea Butter!

Ballet Bun ...

L

ladybug

i had problems using my shea butter..so i melted it down in the microwave into an oil...added some distilled water and coconut oil..then put it in the fridgerator so it could solidify again... when i use it i take a bit rub it into the palm of my hands and its a lot more creamier( sp) and easier to use and less heavy...

jamaraa

As someone already mentioned, shea butter(a small amount) is good for the ends, but tends to be too waxy for the overall head. Perhaps you can try shea oil, if you're just keen on shea. The diff here is that the heavy stuff (read waxy stuff) has been boiled off and the pure oil left. It's still quite a bit heavier than alot of other oils, but easier to work w/ than shea butter.

As for shealoe, you can make that yourself (FNWL wants ALOT for it, IMHO)....just mix equal amounts shea butter to aloe vera gel. When purchased seperately, they are both pretty economical.