Shampoo dries my hair...need help

alona

I'm using Aubrey Organics Island Shampoo and it is drying my hair. I only use a little and only apply once. My hair feels dry and stripped. I have fine, thin, and dry hair. Does anyone have a suggestion for a pre-shampoo treatment. I need a good moisturizing shampoo and the pickins' are slim here in Germany. I can't use most products that are offered here like Optimum, Dark & Lovely, Suave, or Pantene, dries my hair even more.

Thanks in advance,
Alona

meia

if i were you, id turn to a more organic type of shampoo and change the frequency you wash the hair. if you wash daily you might have to switch to every other day. if you wash every two or three days, you might want to switch to maybe once a week..and step up the conditioners. recently ive found a conditioner im in love with that provides my hair with the perfect balance of moisture and texture..

for instance for the different shampoos you might want to try, try a castile based cleanser- perhaps one without alcohol, sodium lauryleth or any of those surfectants(sp- but its a type of detergent) i know aubrey is organic but sometimes other additives that are organic can contribute to drying out hair) ...castile is the best way to go! i use it on my hair, and ahve no problem at all washing every day!!

good luck!

Isis

Some of the ladies here really like Nexxus Therappe moisturizing shampoo. I use Nexxus Botanoil shampoo (made for relaxed hair) every 3 days and use it one time per wash. The Therappe is more moisturizing though.

Also, some find most shampoos drying and prefer conditioner washes only (con wash), leaving shampoos alone.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I 2nd the Nexxus Therapee, very moisturizing and you may want to pree poo w/EVOO before washing, 15min under the dryer or wrap warm towel around your head. Are you DC w/every poo and what are you using as a daily moisturizer?

balisi

If not too difficult to obtain (since you're overseas), you might want to try Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream. It contains no harsh or drying ingredients. I use it and love it. www.jessicurl.com.

RabiaElaine

CREME OF NATURE ULTRA MOISTURIZING SHAMPOO!!! This shampoo doesn't have a lot of the stipping detergents that a lot of other shampoos have. The bonus is that it's only $3.99 most places. I would also try shampooing less and co washing more.

MiWay

Creme of Nature is good. Leaves your hair very soft/manageable and seemingly very moisturized. Otherwise, you may have to do less shampooing, and more conditioner washes. Maybe you could do a hot oil treatment...I hear those are great pre-poo treatments.

alona

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I 2nd the Nexxus Therapee, very moisturizing and you may want to pree poo w/EVOO before washing, 15min under the dryer or wrap warm towel around your head. Are you DC w/every poo and what are you using as a daily moisturizer?

Yes, I deep condition after every poo. As a daily moisturizer I use Carol's Daughter's Healthy Hair Butter. My hair is moisturized most of the time, its' just when I shampoo, there is not slip and my hair feel stripped.

alona

Thanks for the tips ladies, I really appreciate it. I think I'm going to just condition wash and once a month use the shampoos that I have to clarify the buildup.

I was thinking about making my own shampoo with castile soap but conditioner washes may be what I need.

My daughter is 2, do you think that the same regime would be good for her (just conditioner washes and poo once a month or so) her hair is beginning to be really dry from the Johnson's Baby shampoo.

Divine Inspiration

Isis said:
Some of the ladies here really like Nexxus Therappe moisturizing shampoo. I use Nexxus Botanoil shampoo (made for relaxed hair) every 3 days and use it one time per wash. The Therappe is more moisturizing though.

Also, some find most shampoos drying and prefer conditioner washes only (con wash), leaving shampoos alone.

Co-signing w/ Isis and BWE on the Nexxus. Nexxus Botanoil is very moisturizing IMO. It doesn't even sud up the way other poos do, and it does a reasonable job of detangling. Nexxus Therappe does a wonderful job of detangling and is quite moisturizing IMO.

As far as pre-pooing is concerned, some ladies just use oil, but I can't do that. It leaves my hair greasy and hard. So I pre-poo with DDGB (or NTM DDC) mixed with 2 dollops of PM The Detangler, and a little EVOO or Aceite 3 oil. This mix seems to really soften my hair up, detangle it, and prepare to receive my poo w/o being dry.

Deep conditioning is very important too. You may consider mixing EVOO/jojoba oil/grapeseed/castor/take your pick into your conditioner. Deep conditioning at least once a week should up your moisture content and improve your hair's elasticity over time.

Are you moisturizing daily? Sometimes poos/cons won't perform as well if the hair isn't maintained in between poos. You may consider a good water based leave-in or a moisture mix to apply in between poos.

HTH

{DI}

carameldiva

ITA with meia- Castille soap is da bomb- www.thechemistrystore.com has a great one. Pre-shampoo treatment- i use castor oil or jamaica black castor oil.