Shampoo and Hard Water

LuvableLady

This is information that I found while browsing another hair board.

Important Notice:

Our shampoo will only suds and work properly in soft water. The reason for this is that when mild alkaline soaps come in contact with hard water, which has a high content of calcium and magnesium, a chemical reaction takes place in which the calcium and magnesium are precipitated on the hair follicles. This is the famous soap scum that can't be rinsed off. It is known also as bathtub ring. The soap scum also remains on your skin even after rinsing, clogging the pores. It can even cause minor skin irritation and itching. It is very difficult to get this mineral deposit off the hair and skin with natural products. To circumvent this problem and to market a shampoo for the mass market, shampoo manufacturers have made hair products with very powerful synthetic alkaline bases and water softening chemicals. These detergent bases, although detrimental to the hair and scalp, do prevent the mineral salts in hard water from precipitating. When making natural products, there are always certain inconveniences. I have made a decision to provide an all-natural shampoo rather than one that has universal convenience and a mass market. There are areas where soft water occurs naturally, or is provided by municipal water sources, and other areas where the water is mildly hard. However, in many areas of the USA, the water is genuinely hard .

The chemical reaction of hard water with our natural shampoo can be easily avoided by wetting your hair with distilled water which can be purchased at any supermarket. Shake the shampoo vigorously. Apply it on hair wetted with distilled water and rinse with distilled water for optimal results or with normal tap water even if it is hard water. As long as you wet your hair with distilled water, no reaction will take place. This will guarantee an excellent result.

http://www.uncleharrys.com/infobase/cure/shampoo.htm

sweetcocoa

2 of my 3 shampoos a week are distilled water. My rinse only days and my final rinses on shampoo days are always distilled water(which I warm on the stove first since it's so cold...). The water where I live is not only very hard but also highly chlorinated. If I don't use distilled water this way, my hair becomes very dry and brittle. It gets to be a hazzle sometimes, but I think it's worth it...

hairfanatic

Thanks for that information LuvableLady. I definately agree that there is truth to it. My natural shampoos do not work well in hard water AT ALL /images/graemlins/frown.gif. Since I have purchased a water filter and use distilled water for my final rinse, they work much better. /images/graemlins/smile.gif