Hard Water Hair Solutions

Bmars86

Hey you guys. I just wanted to share my solution to hard water hair. If you use hard water (like about 85% of the national population), your hair currently has mineral buildup you may not even be aware of. Like about the hard, crusty calcium deposits on the faucets, the dark, rusty stains in the toilet, and the white, powdery film on your tub walls and shower doors. That's what's on your hair, clinging to every cuticle preventing beneficial conditioners and the like from entering.

Enter chelating shampoo. Special shampoo, much like a clarifier, that is made to not only remove residual buildup, but also goes a little deeper into the hair to remove mineral and metal deposits. If you have hard water, you have these. Also if you use box relaxers, no or low lye relaxers, or really, any relaxer really, you have some mineral buildup as well. Chelating shampoos are strong, so their use must always be followed up with a very moisturizing deep conditioner.

The chelating shampoo I use was Quantum Clarifying Shampoo (around $11 at Sally's Beauty Supply). I wet my hair first under the shower stream as normal, then lathered with the shampoo once lightly, then letting the second lather stay in my hair for a short time as per the instructions. This is the last time I let tap water touch my hair, ever again. I rinsed the shampoo using 2 gallons of distilled water (soft water). Next I deep conditioned with matrix biolage hydratherapie conditioning balm, design essentials express instant conditioner, honey, glycerin, and olive oil (DC formula has since improved) for 40 minutes with steam. I then rinsed out DC with 1 gallon distilled water with ACV added, then a final rinse with super cold distilled water.

Hair felt unbelievably soft and light. You won't believe how much stuff your hair had it in until you take it all out. From this moment on, I use distilled water exclusively for all my hair needs from cowashing, to shampooing, to spritzing. This way, I don't foresee a need to use the chelating shampoo until after my next relaxer (relax every 6 months) or until I slip up and use tap water on my hair (not likely). Thank you all for bearing with me so long. Just wanted to share a tip and hear some feedback if anyone tries or has tried this.:wave:

lamaria211

I used to use Ion Hard Water condish about every other week. Then when I decided to switch to all natural products I bought a shower filter.

hnntrr

If you can not use a chelating shampoo, nor have the ability to purchase a filter how would you wash your hair? Just use 2 gallons of distilled water? I am having this issue as well but wont have the funds to get a showerhead filter for awhile but I did notice a difference between washing my hair here at my apartment and washing my hair at my parents house (they have a soft water filter for the whole house).

Bmars86

If you can not use a chelating shampoo, nor have the ability to purchase a filter how would you wash your hair? Just use 2 gallons of distilled water? I am having this issue as well but wont have the funds to get a showerhead filter for awhile but I did notice a difference between washing my hair here at my apartment and washing my hair at my parents house (they have a soft water filter for the whole house).

May I ask why you couldn't use a chelating shampoo? But yes, distilled water in and of itself has chelating properties in that it binds to the mineral deposits and rinses them away. Use of distilled water exclusively over a longer length of time would have the same effect cumulatively. As to how many gallons, it is at your own discretion. When I cowashing, I spray my hair with hot DW first, then rinse the conditioner with 2 gallons of DW. When I deep condition, I must wet my hair, shampoo, rinse with 2 gallons DW, DC, then rinse out with 1 gallon DW with ACV, then plain cold DW rinse. Tweak to your own liking.

hnntrr

May I ask why you couldn't use a chelating shampoo? But yes, distilled water in and of itself has chelating properties in that it binds to the mineral deposits and rinses them away. Use of distilled water exclusively over a longer length of time would have the same effect cumulatively. As to how many gallons, it is at your own discretion. When I cowashing, I spray my hair with hot DW first, then rinse the conditioner with 2 gallons of DW. When I deep condition, I must wet my hair, shampoo, rinse with 2 gallons DW, DC, then rinse out with 1 gallon DW with ACV, then plain cold DW rinse. Tweak to your own liking.

Well I just hit a set back this past week using a clarifying shampoo (I heard chelating and clarifying are the same). Shampoo dries my hair out really really bad, even a regular moisture shampoo (I tried using Aussie Moist and that stripped my hair bad too) Both time I did pre-poo's before. Anyway, shampooing and having too much protein has resulted in me having to cowash daily to try and get moisture back into my hair.
So now I am scared to shampoo my hair at all because I dont want to strip my hair.

Bmars86

Shower filters are a great solution to hard water hair. Perhaps my tips would apply if your away from home or otherwise unable to use a filtered shower. I wonder though if the shower filters utilize salt to soften the water, or like Brita filters, do not remove ALL metals and minerals. Any insight anyone.:look:

Last edited:

Bmars86

Well I just hit a set back this past week using a clarifying shampoo (I heard chelating and clarifying are the same). Shampoo dries my hair out really really bad, even a regular moisture shampoo (I tried using Aussie Moist and that stripped my hair bad too) Both time I did pre-poo's before. Anyway, shampooing and having too much protein has resulted in me having to cowash daily to try and get moisture back into my hair.
So now I am scared to shampoo my hair at all because I dont want to strip my hair.

Well then in that case I would certainly say just do the distilled water only route for a while until your hair softens up again because yes, chelating shampoos are stronger and go deeper to remove everything from the hair even more so than clarifying shampoos. I suspect that even if you followed up with a moisturizing deep conditioner, your hair would still be too stripped. Try some DW, it's less than $1 gallon, and although a tad bit inconvenient, when the health of your hair is concerned, it's all for the better.:yep:

QTPie

Subscribing...I know this is the issue for me. Ever since I've moved into my house, my hair has been a constant mix of breakage, brittleness and dryness. Seems like it got worse when I tried to cowash regularly too. So I pushed back to doing it like once a week.

Bmars86, are you relaxed or natural? I have some chelating shampoo and whoo wee does it strip your hair, and the DCs I have couldn't replace enough moisture. I never used it again after that.

PJaye

Since I couldn’t install a shower filter, I incorporated a chelating shampoo (Elucence Acidifying) into my routine, and it has served me very well.

lamaria211

Try a sulfate free poo or a cleansing conditioner like Hair One or Wen. It truly takes time to find a good poo. I had your same issue,I was afraid of washing my hair! SM shampoos work really well for me and so did CON Argan oil poo. Hth

mg1979

Shower filters do not address hard water, only chemicals like chlorine.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Bmars86

I thought this might be the case. Better for washing the body, clothes, and dishes, but not the best for washing the hair. More convenient than toting gallon jugs in the shower, but not as pure for the hair.

Bmars86

Subscribing...I know this is the issue for me. Ever since I've moved into my house, my hair has been a constant mix of breakage, brittleness and dryness. Seems like it got worse when I tried to cowash regularly too. So I pushed back to doing it like once a week.

Bmars86, are you relaxed or natural? I have some chelating shampoo and whoo wee does it strip your hair, and the DCs I have couldn't replace enough moisture. I never used it again after that.

Hello, I am relaxed, stretching for 6 months. Last relaxer was December 11, 2012. As for the DC, you must be absolutely sure it is a MOISTURIZING formula and not laden with protein. My favorite is Matrix Biolage Hydratherapie conditioning balm, mixed with some oils and humectants. After spraying on some leave in conditioner, I immediately seal with oil while still damp and allow to air dry (scarf method).

Bmars86

Thank you all for sharing thus far. I will have something to show for myself in the way of pics very soon. Quick side note; when I first moved to OH from NC and began washing my hair in this water, I noticed a change unlike any other I had experienced before. My hair completely lost all it's life, luster, and and glory. I certainly wasn't hip to the info that I am now, so I didn't know there to be as simple a solution as a chelating shampoo. I of course cut all my hair off and started from scratch (okay maybe not scratch). Eventually my hair just got "use" to the new water conditions, but it never returned to its top form, until I recently made the switch to distilled water.

When your hair is full of mineral deposits, it makes it nearly impossible for other treatments or products to penetrate, or properly coat the hair shaft. You will feel like your favorite products aren't working as well or at all for you. You will notice unwavering dryness and dullness, that is as persistent as it is annoying. For those of you who are leary of using poos because of their drying nature, you are justified in your concern because chelating shampoos are just that. But you may still be able to utilize them in your routine somehow.

For those with shampoo issues, perhaps; pre poo the hair with coconut ( not for protein itself, but for protein retention) olive oil, and/or other oils your choice and cheap conditioner. Dilute the chelating shampoo with water or oil. Before actually shampooing, really really rinse the hair very very well, to aid in the lathering of the shampoo on the first time. For you I would recommend lathering only the one time and leaving it sit for only 1 full minute, then only use distilled water from that moment forward for all your hair needs. After a chelating treatment, DC with steam for added moisture ( wrap warm, damp towel around your conditioned head, then the plastic cap, and roast for about 30, 40 minutes.

The ph level of your hair after using a strong shampoo will be super high, so I always incorporate a distilled water/apple cider vinegar rinse as my second to last rinse to bring my hair back down to normal ph. If you feel you really, truly cannot use a chelating shampoo, use only distilled water in your hair at all times and do not waiver. If you are serious about combating hair water hair, this can be a simple adjustment for you if you cannot go all out. The good news for all you shampoo sensitive folks is that if you use a chelating shampoo to remove minerals and metals from your hair that first initial time, then only use DW after that, you may never need to use the chelating shampoo again (until after your next relaxer or contact with hard tap water). I really HTH.

Bmars86

Since I couldn’t install a shower filter, I incorporated a chelating shampoo (Elucence Acidifying) into my routine, and it has served me very well.

Hi PJaye, how often are you using that shampoo? It sounds like with the use of that shampoo, you could eliminate the need to ACV rinse, hmmm, intriguing :scratchch

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay

I thought this might be the case. Better for washing the body, clothes, and dishes, but not the best for washing the hair. More convenient than toting gallon jugs in the shower, but not as pure for the hair.

I really can't explain the how / why but my hair has improved since using a water filter. My hair isn't as dry, I don't deal with nearly as many porosity issues as I did before and my products perform better. I've allowed my filter to age and not replace it timely and can tell a difference in the performance of my hair. mg1979 Bmars86

mg1979

I really can't explain the how / why but my hair has improved since using a water filter. My hair isn't as dry, I don't deal with nearly as many porosity issues as I did before and my products perform better. I've allowed my filter to age and not replace it timely and can tell a difference in the performance of my hair. @mg1979 @Bmars86

Then it's the other stuff filtered out that's making a difference - not hard water. No where on Sprite's website (http://www.spritewater.com/) do they claim to address hard water.

DaiseeDay

I've heard that generally shower filters don't filter out hard water minerals. Have you ladies who have one noticed a difference?

Also EDTA is supposed to be pretty sufficient at breaking down and removing hard water buildup. So if you're CG and using products with EDTA there might not be a need to use a cheating shampoo. I know the Vo5 conditioners have it and so does Eco Styler gel.

Bmars86

I really can't explain the how / why but my hair has improved since using a water filter. My hair isn't as dry, I don't deal with nearly as many porosity issues as I did before and my products perform better. I've allowed my filter to age and not replace it timely and can tell a difference in the performance of my hair. mg1979 Bmars86

I believe it. Some filtration is better than nothing at all, right?

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Then it's the other stuff filtered out that's making a difference - not hard water. No where on Sprite's website (http://www.spritewater.com/) do they claim to address hard water.

I believe it. Some filtration is better than nothing at all, right?

@mg1979, I haven't searched Sprite's entire website nor am I well versed in what all minerals/sediments hard water consist of. Going from memory, I believe my packaging indicates it filters sediments, chlorine, etc. It doesn't filter lead and a few other things. Again, it works for me and I have hard water so that's all I can go by.

@Bmars86, yes something is better than nothing.