“setting To Success” 2016

Great results!

I deep conditioned with shea moisture manuka masque, used oyin hair dew as leave in, then applied Paul Mitchell supper skinny serum, then Paul Mitchell sculpting foam to set.
Smooth, bouncy spirals using about 45 curlformers.

I really hope it doesn't end up frizzy. I'm tired of testing products.

All rolled up and under the dryer. This is the thread I frequent the most so I'm going to put my wash day thoughts here for future reference.

Thought 1:
I ran out of moisturizer last week so I used Camille Rose aloe whip instead. I was wondering why I passed this product on to my son and now I remember why. It completely reverted my roller set and left me with dull hair. Won't use it again.

20160115_144908-1.jpg
Thought 2:
Clarified it out and also went ahead and did an Aphogee protein treatment as I hadn't done one in probably 8 or 9 months. I can say without a doubt that this is a treatment my hair no longer needs. I used to do it and see a noticeable difference. Now not so much. My hair felt the same. I think this may be due to:
1: I only have a few inches left of relaxed ends and I no longer get highlights.
2: I currently use products that already have a nice balance of moisture and protein.
3. I do light monthly protein treatments with Neutral Protein filler which not only keeps my color fresh but gives me any boost of protein my hair needs at the time.

It is a process that I will not miss but one that I would still highly recommended to any long term transitioners, frequent heat users or anyone who lightens their hair.

Anybody setting this weekend?

It's my birthday next week. I'm setting tomorrow.
May flat iron roots to show off length.

Ya'll know how it goes, you see ppl you haven't seen in a while and they go bonkers how much your hair has grown, then weave check you :giggle:

My set from last week still has loose waves.
I thought it be a hot mess by now.
Been lightly moisturizing it every two days with Grapeseed or sweet almond oil.
Put in a high bun without pins just my hair, and wrap up in satin scarf. Setting so far has been a great experience!

@lulu97 Looking pretty! Since I'm long term transitioning, I mostly do protein treatments to keep the line of dermacation strong. I plan to set sometime next week maybe.

@flyygirlll2 Thanks Lady. That 2 step was my saving grace for at least 3 years strong...especially when I had more relaxed ends and less natural hair. I credit it to being the reason I was able to transition so long. How's your transition going?

@lulu97 I'm setting this weekend! Tomorrow morning probably.

Totally agree with you on the hard protein. I do a monthly protein prepoo with a biotin conditioner and that's enough for me. I like to keep my ends strong since they are so old, but I don't need a hard treatment.

@toaster I have to start thinking more as a natural head. I really don't need to go hard core anymore...it's just hard to get out of that transitioning mind set. I'm getting there.

Can't wait to see your set. *rubs hands together*

It's my birthday next week. I'm setting tomorrow.
May flat iron roots to show off length.

Ya'll know how it goes, you see ppl you haven't seen in a while and they go bonkers how much your hair has grown, then weave check you :giggle:

My set from last week still has loose waves.
I thought it be a hot mess by now.
Been lightly moisturizing it every two days with Grapeseed or sweet almond oil.
Put in a high bun without pins just my hair, and wrap up in satin scarf. Setting so far has been a great experience!

@bluenvy Happy Early Birthday!!!!!! Woot Woot!!! What are you doing to celebrate?

@lulu97 I don't think I'll be needing as much protein once I cut the relaxed ends off, my hair is coarse so too much protein makes it feel terrible. I do it once a month at the least. I prefer light to medium protein.

This transition has been a struggle to say the least. I'm used to my hair looking "done" so now I deal with trying to style my hair so it can look neat.

I don't think my hair looks great dealing with the different textures. It's more of a mental transition for me at this point.

This was my third wash with my Thermasmooth products (today was condition only) and I think Lulu is onto something regarding salon products and their protein makeup. My hair feels amazingly soft, but also strong. This makes sense because the line is designed to smooth, condition, and PROTECT hair before heat styling. I know they work, because the four or five times I got my hair done in a salon they used this line and I never had any heat damage.

My Pantene DC is very moisturizing, but again, the It's a 10 leave in (I don't use the keratin version, just the regular) is also a balanced product.

I did my usual protein prepoo last week, but I'm thinking I will listen to my hair and see if I need to do it next month, or if the Mizani and It's a 10 are enough for my hair.

I also use coconut oil at night to smooth my hair into two bantu knots, but I'm going to switch to a more "moisturizing" oil blend just to ensure I'm not doing too much to my hair. Does anyone have any suggestions for an on the ground oil blend??

@toaster My favorite is an oil blend I make...the recipe is
3 ounces coconut oil
3 ounces grapeseed oil
1 ounce rosehip seed oil
1 ounce argan oil
I store it in a pump bottle. One pump after a roller set and I don't need to reapply or moisturize at least 4 days in.

20160116_214054.jpg When I want something different or on the ground like you are asking...duh:lachen:(you know I ramble) , I reach for one of my many Shea Moisture dry oil mists...I primarily use them on my body but they can also be used for the hair. They are lovely blends and smell amazing! Trust me when I tell you they are PERFECT for maintaining roller sets.
450.jpg
15047115.jpg
Shea-Moisture-Lavender-Wild-Orchid-Dry-Oil-Mist-2.jpg
2284988.jpg
2284985.jpg

There is an upcoming BOGO sale at CVS so you could possibly try a few and if you don't like them...nothing lost but a few bucks.

Dang and I forgot my favorite one.
_10827682.jpg
It's full of cones but you know me I don't care about that...I use what my hair likes and respond well to. I mostly use this in the summer or when I know I'm going to be out in the sun since it has sun and UV protection. It's not as easy to come by...I usually buy my MoroccanOil products from my local salon.

Today's set. It's up in a bun and I'm off to Ulta to get a new hair oil. I don't apply oil the night of a fresh set, so I'll test out whatever I buy tomorrow night.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 46
@flyygirlll2 i can't say that it's the products specifically. I think it's more having very moisturized hair before setting, and technique than anything else. The Thermasmooth products help with detangling and moisture, and perhaps with humidity/reversion.

My individual hair strands are thick and I wouldn't say they are coarse, but they definitely aren't smooth.

Does that make sense at all? I would say tension, magnetic rollers, and well moisturized hair are the key to smooth sets for me overall. I am happy with my product selection, but for the most part my sets look the same no matter the products.

Back