relaxed possibly transitioning

Current Setting method and styling choices:
flexi rods primarily
maybe magnetic rollers, hourglass rollers, curlformers
prefer ponytail sets but I'm willing to try other options for smoother sets

Current Setting products:
TBD

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve:
I have not set my hair in a long while because I'm dealing with 19 months worth of new growth. My struggle is the same as @flyygirlll2, my sets are not smooth and my roots are dull and dry. I will lurk, participate when I can and cheer everyone on while learning new techniques.

How long do you plan to set?:
once a month

bluenvy

I have some questions ladies.
Not in this challenge but setting up shop for a roller set this month.

I loved sets on my relaxed hair.
Now that I'm natural. It will take some time and patience getting sets to come out smooth, especially my roots.

I was thinking about magnetic rollers, and pins to secure. Would you recommend these?

Products. What products are you all using? Mouse, lotions etc.
Are they other products besides setting lotions I should look into?

SO is purchasing me a stand up blow dryer on my bday in a couple weeks. With 1875W that should do a good drying job.

My hair is thick and grazing bsl.
Help a sista out.
Thank yous

faithVA

I can't wait to use these curlformers. Just need the time.

Is it better to use them on soaking wet hair?
It doesn't have to be soaking wet. My hair is usually damp and I may spritz the section with water if I need it to be wetter. I've not found a benefit to having it soaking wet. And I'm a slow installer so there is no way to keep all of my hair soaking wet the entire time.

toaster

Now that I'm natural. It will take some time and patience getting sets to come out smooth, especially my roots.

I was thinking about magnetic rollers, and pins to secure. Would you recommend these?

SO is purchasing me a stand up blow dryer on my bday in a couple weeks. With 1875W that should do a good drying job.

Help a sista out.
Thank yous

I use magnetic rollers with the snaps, but I also stick a small Bobby pin in the rollers to keep them secure. The problem I have with those duckbill clips is they sometimes get stuck on my roots.

I just use a leave in to do my sets. When I use setting foam my ends feel sticky. I know other people can use them and love them.

Practice and more practice help my sets get better. Also clean parts and well detangled hair.

Hope that helps @bluenvy !

toaster

Thank you @toaster

What do your hair feels like with just leave ins after set is complete?

I have plenty of leave ins, gotta experiment which one works best for sets.

@bluenvy After setting with leave ins my hair feels soft and moisturized, but there's no hold. I'm not sure how you plan on wearing your hair after you set, but my curls drop after the first day. I sleep in two Bantu knots so I end up with loose waves for the week, which is nice for what I'm looking for.

I use the it's a 10 leave in. It comes in a spray bottle so I can control how much I use and a little goes a long way. I would suggest you try a lighter leave in as opposed to a heavy cream to help with dry time.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing

Help a sista out.
Thank yous

@bluenvy I use a leave in and serum to set. I alternate with the Chi Keratin line and the MoroccanOil Hydrating line. I also love it's a 10 as well as Redken Anti snap. You just have to play around with products to see what gives you the best results. I don't really use holding products as my hair usually just goes up in a top knot after setting.

I use magnetic rollers with the snap on covers and secure them with magnetic clips. They do snag sometimes but not enough to pull out hair. I'm just really careful putting them in and taking them out.

toaster

You guys. That Mizani Thermasmooth shampoo??? Perfection. My hair was so clean, but not stripped at all. I really don't think my hair has been this clean in a long time, as gross as that sounds. It's a thick consistency, and even the bottle says you can detangle with the shampoo (wouldn't recommend it) but I am looking forward to using it again in two washes.

toaster

I'm going to go ahead and call 2016 the year I don't use products made in someone's kitchen. I'm kind of sad because I miss the excitement of sales and new scents and new products, but Mizani and Its a 10 have taken over. I'm all about ease as I deal with hair that's the longest it's ever been.

Simple is best for me right now.

PlainJane

I love curlformers. It was easier than rollet setting for me and it didn't take long to dry. I was surprised at the results and I think this will help me stay away from direct heat. I can officially join the challenge now because I'll probably use them every time I wash my hair. I'll try anything to stop these ssks.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I'm going to go ahead and call 2016 the year I don't use products made in someone's kitchen. I'm kind of sad because I miss the excitement of sales and new scents and new products, but Mizani and Its a 10 have taken over. I'm all about ease as I deal with hair that's the longest it's ever been.

Simple is best for me right now.

I just laughed so loud. I feel you girl...I love the cones and chemical laden products. All that natural kitchen made stuff just leaves my hair dull and dusty looking....especially those heavy butters. No way Jose

Last edited:

bluenvy

Ok I'm back and did my first roller set over the weekend!

I prepoo Sat overnight with a cheapie conditioner herbal essence the berry one.
Clarified in the morning with Darcy's botanical milk bar.
Than dc with Camille Rose algae deep conditioner.
Once I rinsed that out , on dripping wet hair I applied Darcy's daily leave in and Elasta Qp design foam on top.

Took 40 minutes to finish roller set. My new dryer dried my hair in an hour, but I kept rollers in overnight since I wasn't going anywhere.

Oh I gotta officially join this challenge, setting is here to stay.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 72

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Under the dryer with a head full of rollers. Nice and warm...plus I'm drinking a cup of coffee for some strange reason :eek::nuts:

This wash day was a hit. Now that I'm washing weekly, I do not have to detangle until wash day. Let my bun down, slap on my pre-poo and the tangles and shed hair just slides out on its own. Win :drunk:

It went like this:

Pre-poo steam treatment with Shea Moisture coconut conditioner mixed with oils

Washed, conditioned, Dc'd, applied my leave in and serum...all from the MoroccanOil Hydrating line.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Ok I'm back and did my first roller set over the weekend!

I prepoo Sat overnight with a cheapie conditioner herbal essence the berry one.
Clarified in the morning with Darcy's botanical milk bar.
Than dc with Camille Rose algae deep conditioner.
Once I rinsed that out , on dripping wet hair I applied Darcy's daily leave in and Elasta Qp design foam on top.

Took 40 minutes to finish roller set. My new dryer dried my hair in an hour, but I kept rollers in overnight since I wasn't going anywhere.

Oh I gotta officially join this challenge, setting is here to stay.

*whistles* Gone head girl....it looks great!!!!

coilyhaircutie

Experimenting with this Kanekalon hair. Bought color #2. I soaked it with ACV & some Joico shampoo, then rinsed it out. It smells great lol and it doesn't itch my scalp. I braided it and did a cute bun tonight. But it's too shiny for my hair. Going to buy dry shampoo to try to "dull" it out. It's too shiny for me. Looks cute though, but I want it to blend in better with my hair before I wear it to work.
IMG_1158.JPG IMG_1167.JPG

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Experimenting with this Kanekalon hair. Bought color #2. I soaked it with ACV & some Joico shampoo, then rinsed it out. It smells great lol and it doesn't itch my scalp. I braided it and did a cute bun tonight. But it's too shiny for my hair. Going to buy dry shampoo to try to "dull" it out. It's too shiny for me. Looks cute though, but I want it to blend in better with my hair before I wear it to work.
View attachment 348351 View attachment 348353

Yes hunty! Work that bun!

bluenvy

Current hair length: Grazing Bsl

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural

Current Setting method and styling choices: On soaking wet hair using magnetic rollers,with leave in and some type of holding product, wrap lotion, foam or mousse.
Will try other curling (perm rods, curl formers)items later. Pin curl or buns to preserve waves.

Current Setting products: Darcy's Botanical daily leave in, Elasta Qp design foam.

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Smooth roots!

How long do you plan to set?: Biweekly

Post a beginning picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 59

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
I've been really sick, but I really needed to wash my hair. So I did a set today using both hourglass and magnetic rollers. I used Alfaparf Cioccolato Hydratying Hair Lotion mixed water in a spray bottle, and also used Sweet Curls Flax/Okra Defining Gel Elixer.

I sat under my bonnet dryer for an hour and a half. I got my roots to stretch somewhat this time but I still had some poof. I have sections of my nape that is already natural (15 months post)
The ends are bushy even though I dust/trim it. I used a comb and brush, but the ends were still bushy when it dried :rolleyes:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I apologize if the images are big, I'm on my phone.

faithVA

I've been really sick, but I really needed to wash my hair. So I did a set today using both hourglass and magnetic rollers. I used Alfaparf Cioccolato Hydratying Hair Lotion mixed water in a spray bottle, and also used Sweet Curls Flax/Okra Defining Gel Elixer.

I sat under my bonnet dryer for an hour and a half. I got my roots to stretch somewhat this time but I still had some poof. I have sections of my nape that is already natural (15 months post)
The ends are bushy even though I dust/trim it. I used a comb and brush, but the ends were still bushy when it dried :rolleyes:
View attachment 348425
View attachment 348429

I apologize if the images are big, I'm on my phone.
Looks so soft