Setting to Success 2015

PlainJane

Loved this set, but it is bed time
How do you get it so smooooth since you're natural? I can't get my hair to lay flat on that roller for nothing

ETA: so I tried something new tonight and instead of DCing with AOGBP like always, I used keracare humecto instead. I think my hair lays better on the roller after a moisture DC. I even used a little Vo5 on one section and that made a big difference too. I didn't rollerset my entire head tho because it's late at night and that's a recipe for failure. I'm going to try again soon. I feel like I'm getting close.

Last edited:

Blairx0

How do you get it so smooooth since you're natural? I can't get my hair to lay flat on that roller for nothing

ETA: so I tried something new tonight and instead of DCing with AOGBP like always, I used keracare humecto instead. I think my hair lays better on the roller after a moisture DC. I even used a little Vo5 on one section and that made a big difference too. I didn't rollerset my entire head tho because it's late at night and that's a recipe for failure. I'm going to try again soon. I feel like I'm getting close.

I have decided to work on getting my hair more smooth, so in the fall I can wear my sets out a bit longer. This go round I introduced an old favorite :silicon mix.

I wrote a post about my experience using it here : http://wp.me/p3yCFR-nQ

Overall I think it helped. I am waiting to see how my hair behaves throughout the week before my final verdict

Last edited:

missyrayne19

Little late but here are some pics of my last set on Sunday. My wrap didn't turn out as straight as I would have liked but that's because I didn't let it sit too long. It was almost 1am and I was exhausted so 'scuse the semi poofy look haha

Attachments

• IMG_1037.JPG
    IMG_1037.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1036.JPG
    IMG_1036.JPG
    287.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1042.JPG
    IMG_1042.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 139

Nini90012

Little late but here are some pics of my last set on Sunday. My wrap didn't turn out as straight as I would have liked but that's because I didn't let it sit too long. It was almost 1am and I was exhausted so 'scuse the semi poofy look haha
Beautiful set! What size and what kind of rollers did you use?

PlainJane

I have decided to work on getting my hair more smooth, so in the fall I can wear my sets out a bit longer. This go round I introduced an old favorite :silicon mix. I wrote a post about my experience using it here : http://wp.me/p3yCFR-nQ Overall I think it helped. I am waiting to see how my hair behaves throughout the week before my final verdict
I have some of this I never use. I might have to give it a try. It's funny when you mentioned putting the piece of your hair under running water because I tried that last night and that was the only way I could get my hair more smooth on the roller. It may have something to do with my porosity.

Blairx0

I have some of this I never use. I might have to give it a try. It's funny when you mentioned putting the piece of your hair under running water because I tried that last night and that was the only way I could get my hair more smooth on the roller. It may have something to do with my porosity.

It normally takes some effort for my hair to get wet. It will dampen easily, but to get really saturated is an effort. With this stuff I had to put my head under the faucet and massage the water in. My hair has a hard time accepting moisture, but once the moisture is in it is in there for a while!

Dust of your jar and try it. Let me know how it goes. I am going to have to get some essential oils to mask the scent, but my hair is holding up nicely.

missyrayne19

Beautiful set! What size and what kind of rollers did you use?

Thanks! I use magnetic rollers, the kind from Sally's, in 1 3/4 inch and 2 inch. I recently started using bigger rollers and have noticed I'm a bit faster at rolling my sets so that's make me super happy :grin:

Blairx0

Dusted my ends, moisturized and tucked my hair away for the night. I can still smell the silicon mix. Yuck!

I hope the smells dissipates fastw
We when I go outside more often . The snow has me on lockdown.

My curls were still visible and smooth, tho!

faithVA

I think I'm going to do a mini set next weekend. I'm going to flat twist the back and then just curl the front. That seems like the best of both worlds. I get carefree hair in my trouble spots but I can jazz it up a bit with curls in the front. And if I need to rerod it is only a small section.

Blairx0

I think I'm going to do a mini set next weekend. I'm going to flat twist the back and then just curl the front. That seems like the best of both worlds. I get carefree hair in my trouble spots but I can jazz it up a bit with curls in the front. And if I need to rerod it is only a small section.

Looking forward to your pics. I may try something like this come Sumner

Eboni801

image-1656044650.jpg My weekly set using curlformers. I did a dry DC with kenra mc and grapeseed oil. Co-cleansed with wen pomegranate. I used silk dreams wheat germ leave in along with Paul Mitchell skinny serum and a setting lotion

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Day 8 of my flexi rod set. I've had it in a faux bob since the initial set so the back curls are elongated from it being up all that time. Today I took the faux bob down, moisturized, separated the curls a bit, then put it up in a pineapple with bangs. It's frizzy but definitely wearable for another week. Flexi rod sets are my boo thang!

Last edited:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Day 8 of my flexi rod set. I've had it in a faux bob since the initial set so the back curls are elongated from it being up all that time. Today I took the faux bob down, moisturized, separated the curls a bit, then put it up in a pineapple with bangs. It's frizzy but definitely wearable for another week. Flexi rod sets are my boo thang!

Yasssss! Mama! Get it! Lol

winona

Taking a small break. Got twists installed today and will keep them in at least a month

Attachments

• image-1061203862.jpg
    image-1061203862.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 89

PlainJane

So after so many failed attempts, I finally completed my first roller set. Here's what I learned:
- I need more rollers. I used very single roller I had even the extra pack I planned to return to the store this week. Glad I didn't.
- I think I should roll next time with a cream leave in or wrap lotion because I had a hard time getting the ends of my fully natural pieces to stay stretched out on the roller
- I don't know how this will turn out but after two hours of styling, I don't care anymore lol
- the Mohawk part and sides were easy but I had no clue what to do on the back-side section, that took the longest.
- the pieces with relaxed ends were easy even tho I'm 13 months post. I don't know how you natural ladies get the ends smooth when they're curly.

coilyhaircutie

It normally takes some effort for my hair to get wet. It will dampen easily, but to get really saturated is an effort. With this stuff I had to put my head under the faucet and massage the water in. My hair has a hard time accepting moisture, but once the moisture is in it is in there for a while!

Dust of your jar and try it. Let me know how it goes. I am going to have to get some essential oils to mask the scent, but my hair is holding up nicely.

Blairx0 My hair is like yours, it takes forever for it to get wet too. It's pretty annoying. I'm going to try massaging the water in like you, maybe that will help my DCs penetrate the hair shaft better.

coilyhaircutie

hey ladies, it is week 2 of my flexirod set + flat iron, and my hair is still pretty straight and shiny -- my roots are puffy though. i'm going to wash this upcoming friday or saturday, plan to do a saran-wrap twistout and put flexirods on the ends. I'll let you know how this experiment turns out LOL.

I also bought a couple of oils for my hair, because my edges have been looking a little sad lately- I bought castor oil, grapeseed oil, and peppermint oil. I plan to mix them up and massage my edges every other day. I'll let you know the progress and post pics when i get a chance.

PlainJane

After all the effort this took, I don't even want to style it. I'll just walk around looking like George Washington.

Attachments

• image-2696031346.jpg
    image-2696031346.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 113

Blairx0

After all the effort this took, I don't even want to style it. I'll just walk around looking like George Washington.

You got your hair so smooth on the roller, especially with no covers! I hope you got some good use from it, whether oy be styling, experience, or both.

Karmi

Hey ladies, I'd like to join this challenge. I normally do WnGs but it's too dang cold for that. Plus I'm going through the awkward stage and hate the way my hair looks right now. This is my second attempt at rollersets and I'm so freakin happy with how this set turned out! I used Jan Carte refreshing spray and SM Coconut Hibiscus curling mouse. I wore my hair up in bun today to loosen the curls. image-3578421714.jpg

image-2047291487.jpg

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I re did my flexi rod set because I got caught in the rain last night. Before that it could have easily lasted another 7 days. I can already tell flexi rod sets are going to be my staple setting choice this year. It is so easy, requires no manipulation and can last up to 2 weeks. This is going to be an extremely busy year for me. I'll be moving to the other side of the country in less than 6 months and in between that time I want to try to enjoy and do everything I can in Cali before we leave. Not to mention I have to inventory all my stuff and decide what I'm donating/trashing...you know all that jazz you do before making major moves.

So my apologies in advance if I don't post often but I should be back on track towards the end of the year.

girlonfire

Hey yall, remember when I posed that I'd bite my toungue till I purchased? Well I got my stuff today! Ordered strawllers from curl mart! That's basically the only place you can get it now, they kinda fell off. Anyway, pic time!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150112_171854.jpg
    ForumRunner_20150112_171854.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 73
  • ForumRunner_20150112_171937.jpg
    ForumRunner_20150112_171937.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 73
  • ForumRunner_20150112_172013.jpg
    ForumRunner_20150112_172013.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 71

Blairx0

Hey ladies, I'd like to join this challenge. I normally do WnGs but it's too dang cold for that. Plus I'm going through the awkward stage and hate the way my hair looks right now. This is my second attempt at rollersets and I'm so freakin happy with how this set turned out! I used Jan Carte refreshing spray and SM Coconut Hibiscus curling mouse. I wore my hair up in bun today to loosen the curls. View attachment 293051

View attachment 293055

You hair looks great!That is much, much better than my 1st set! Welcome aboard!

I re did my flexi rod set because I got caught in the rain last night. Before that it could have easily lasted another 7 days. I can already tell flexi rod sets are going to be my staple setting choice this year. It is so easy, requires no manipulation and can last up to 2 weeks. This is going to be an extremely busy year for me. I'll be moving to the other side of the country in less than 6 months and in between that time I want to try to enjoy and do everything I can in Cali before we leave. Not to mention I have to inventory all my stuff and decide what I'm donating/trashing...you know all that jazz you do before making major moves.

So my apologies in advance if I don't post often but I should be back on track towards the end of the year.

Oh no! You can't be leaving us that long! Moving is a hassle, so I understand your absent, but I hope you come back from time to time to grace us with your presences and inspiring hair. Which state are you going too?

Hey yall, remember when I posed that I'd bite my tongue till I purchased? Well I got my stuff today! Ordered strawllers from curl mart! That's basically the only place you can get it now, they kinda fell off. Anyway, pic time!

I have been curious about these for a long time. I could never figure out how you actually got all your hair on the roller, so I look forward to you explaining it to me.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Blairx0 I'll still be popping in from time to time. This thread keeps me and my hair on track so I wont be away for long.

Hubby is a Marine and has orders to work at the Pentagon, so we will be in the DC area.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Hey yall, remember when I posed that I'd bite my toungue till I purchased? Well I got my stuff today! Ordered strawllers from curl mart! That's basically the only place you can get it now, they kinda fell off. Anyway, pic time!

When are you going to use those? Let us know how they turn out. :)

PlainJane

You got your hair so smooth on the roller, especially with no covers! I hope you got some good use from it, whether oy be styling, experience, or both.
No, I used covers. I just removed them for the pic :yep:
I'm glad I finally did one. I will commit to doing it at least twice a month because I'm loving my hair right now. I need to figure out how to sleep though. Pin curls didn't really work well. I'm going to be trying some of the products you ladies mention.