Setting to Success 2015

divinefavor

I haven't done a challenge in years. I've been natural for about 4 1/2 years and have mostly worn my hair in it's natural state or with fro. This has resulted in tangles, ssk's, and stunted growth. I think rollersetting my hair will make a huge difference in retaining length.

In October for my 40th birthday I did a 2nd big chop and also colored my hair for the first time. I will see if I can find pictures.

For challengers wanting to join, after thanking this post answer the following questions:
Current hair length: It's pretty much a twa still and not quite neck length
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd:Natural
Current Setting method and styling choices: yesterday I set my hair for the first time since being natural and it turned out ok, but I had to flat iron it a little to get the straightness I wanted. I'm still figuring this out, but I think it will be magnetic rollers, maybe flexirods, and perm rods. I will also like to try my hand at setting and then doing a saran/silk wrap to wear it straight.
Current Setting products: Yesterday I used water, TJ's Nourish & Spa conditioner, and a light gloss by Aveda - seriously will need to figure out this product thing
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Moisture, length retention, and finding the right methods for my fine natural hair
How long do you plan to set?: Not sure, I will try it for the first 3 months of the year and see how it goes. But, I would love to make this a regular part of my regimen.

This was me a few weeks ago about to go to my friend's 40th bday party, this was a quick twist out:
IMG_0192.JPG

This is a couple of weeks ago in its fro state
:IMG_0209.JPG

This was me yesterday after calling myself rollersetting and flat ironing a little bit
:IMG_0224.JPG

Last edited:

Kimbosheart

GeminiGem I've had a ton of success with pin curling to keep my set. I workout most mornings and my hair still comes out great with the pin curls. I just use a little sheen spray before I put my scarf on at night. And when I workout I use a satin sweat band to help keep my edges neat.

GeminiGem

GeminiGem I've had a ton of success with pin curling to keep my set. I workout most mornings and my hair still comes out great with the pin curls. I just use a little sheen spray before I put my scarf on at night. And when I workout I use a satin sweat band to help keep my edges neat.

Thanks! I will attempt pin curling again.

naturalagain2

GeminiGem Pin curling is the best for me as well. When my hair seems to be getting too dry I will put a little SSI Marshmallow Herbal Hair Creme and reset with Satin Rollers (I don't use many). The next day it looks as if I did a brand new roller set.

I wanted to rollerset but I'm too lazy. I just want to relax. I'm under the dryer now with my dc. I think I will blow dry and put in a few bantu knots and wear a bantu knot out for a while.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
What is the best way to maintain a roller set? I could never wear it curly more than 1 day.

Bantu knots for me. It changes the way the curls look but they do a great job of stretching the roots. I like doing just 1 low one now since my hair is so long but have been known to do up to 3.

missyrayne19

Current hair length: BSB
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Relaxed
Current Setting method and styling choices: Roller sets weekly, though I am thinking of trying a flexi rod set sometime in '15
Current Setting products: Oh gosh, honestly, it's whatever I'm using for that wash day. I don't really have a "set" of products I use for my sets. I don't use any setting lotions simply because my hair doesn't need it. My hair curls just fine without them (a little too well actually :lol:). Whatever I feel my hair needs that wash day is what I use.
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Not much honestly. I've pretty much got my technique down. If I had to choose something, though, it would be to increase my setting time. The longer my hair gets, the slower I get. No bueno on 90+ setting time
How long do you plan to set?: Pretty much all year round. There will be times I won't for special occasions or because I may not feel like it but, generally speaking, my hair thrives the most when I'm consistent with my sets. They're part of the reason I'm where I'm at health wise with my hair

Haven't really taken pictures of my roller sets in the past (have to amend that in 2015) so I'll just settle for a picture of my flat ironed hair as my starting pic:

Attachments

• IMG_1780.jpg
    IMG_1780.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 68

Blairx0

Thinking i may set tomorrow. I picked up some of the favorite silcon mix conditioner. I plan to use my natural products like normal and the Silcon mix last to add some weight to my hair and help me with my frizz. We will see how this goes or if time even allows for this...

faithVA

I'm trying a flat twist and curl. It's my first. I hope it turns out well. Getting ready to sit under the dryer for an hour.

coilyhaircutie

Hey girls,
first of all - Happy 2015!!! :) I hope the new year brings you all health, love, peace of mind, and happiness <3

I rollerset and flat ironed Dec 30th.
  • Shampooed with Mixed Chicks baby shampoo.
  • Used Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner on the left side of my head and KeraCare Humecto on the right side of my head to DC. They both performed pretty much the same. Mixed Chicks is more expensive though, so once it runs out, I won't repurchase. Also, Keracare has a more long-lasting scent.
  • Rollerset with flexirods, like you suggested lulu97 and I used papertowel on the flexirods for a taut hold
  • I also used product to set like you recommended. I used Joico Kpak Smoothing balm. It performed sooo well it my hair. I got a very smooth set. It also helped me detangle better. Normally it takes me 3 hours to rollerset - this time, it only took me 2 hours. I was so happy.
  • Flat-ironed with my ghd the next day
  • I snipped 1/8" off my ends. My ends have been looking DAYUM juicy since I've been dusting them every month. :grin: I've gained over an inch in length since my cut in November. I'm only 2 inches away from BSL now. Apparently my hair loves being cut.

Pics (w/flash)
flatiron.jpg
flatiron2.jpg

My hair looks better than my last flat iron attempt, but it still is not bone straight. The ends are not as straight as I want them to be and my hair still doesn't "swang". It's more of a "swinging bush" type action. LOL. I think I need a different flat iron. My ghd only goes up to 365 degrees Fahrenheit. What flat irons do you ladies use?

Blairx0

^^I have a solia flat iron, which I like. For me to get great results I need cones in different steps and very small sections. I can normally cheat and use curl formers/tension blow dry method and then flat iron.

coilyhaircutie

^^I have a solia flat iron, which I like. For me to get great results I need cones in different steps and very small sections. I can normally cheat and use curl formers/tension blow dry method and then flat iron.

Blairx0 I think my roommate has that flat iron. What temp do you use?

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
coilyhaircutie

Girl you are getting better. Before you know it, you gone have that sisterwithrealhair swang!!! :)

370 to 390 is my sweet spot temperature in getting my hair straight like I prefer. I have the following flat irons:

Babyliss Pro--meh, I liked it at first but I can't stand that the plates don't clamp down on the hair taught enough. I mean literally, if you close it...there is still a slight gap in the plates. Bought it, sold it cause I thought I had a knock off, repurchased & I have the same issue. I only use this on my weaves now.

Amika--I really like this one

HSI--only used once but I like this as well too.

I ordered these below last week and they are on the way:
FHI platform
CHI original

I may break one of them out at the end of the month or next month when hubby and I go on vacation.

Supervixen

Hey girls, first of all - Happy 2015!!! :) I hope the new year brings you all health, love, peace of mind, and happiness <3 I rollerset and flat ironed Dec 30th. [*]Shampooed with Mixed Chicks baby shampoo. [*]Used Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner on the left side of my head and KeraCare Humecto on the right side of my head to DC. They both performed pretty much the same. Mixed Chicks is more expensive though, so once it runs out, I won't repurchase. Also, Keracare has a more long-lasting scent. [*]Rollerset with flexirods, like you suggested lulu97 and I used papertowel on the flexirods for a taut hold [*]I also used product to set like you recommended. I used Joico Kpak Smoothing balm. It performed sooo well it my hair. I got a very smooth set. It also helped me detangle better. Normally it takes me 3 hours to rollerset - this time, it only took me 2 hours. I was so happy. [*]Flat-ironed with my ghd the next day [*]I snipped 1/8" off my ends. My ends have been looking DAYUM juicy since I've been dusting them every month. :grin: I've gained over an inch in length since my cut in November. I'm only 2 inches away from BSL now. Apparently my hair loves being cut. Pics (w/flash) My hair looks better than my last flat iron attempt, but it still is not bone straight. The ends are not as straight as I want them to be and my hair still doesn't "swang". It's more of a "swinging bush" type action. LOL. I think I need a different flat iron. My ghd only goes up to 365 degrees Fahrenheit. What flat irons do you ladies use?

Beautiful!

My methods are very similar to yours. Only 2 things I do differently that you didnt mention:

(1) Check this thread out Naturals (especially type 4)!!!! The Secret For Perm Straight Hair In ONE PASS....' The crux is: Apply a moisturizing conditioner with an oil added to the length of your hair heavily--as if you are applying a relaxer to virgin hair.

(2) I flat iron at 370 too, but I use a boar bristle brush to make each section taut. Ill try to find this thread too

Goodluck!

Last edited:

coilyhaircutie

thank you ladies!
lulu97 your advice was really helpful in getting my hair straighter this time around. thanks for the heads up about the Babyliss flat iron. I was thinking of getting that, but now I'm leaning more towards the H2Pro flat iron. I used to use a CHI waaay back when my hair was relaxed but when that broke, it was around when I big chopped so I didn't buy a flat iron for a long time after that. I've heard good things about H2Pro, FHI and Babyliss. Let me know how you like your new irons! I never heard of the Amika brand before.

Supeervixen thank you so much chica! I will check out that thread, it seems like it would be exactly what I need! I tried flat ironing with a boar bristle brush once before but there were 2 problems- 1) I am definitely not coordinated enough (lol) and 2) I felt like it was taking a lot of hair out my head. Maybe I need to try again or watch more youtube videos on this.

faithVA

My flat twist out came out decent enough to wear. Next wash day I'm going to see how long a curlformer install takes me. If I can install them within an hour I will do curlformers over flat twist with perm rods. They take me about 45 minutes. My hair is smoother with curlformers, dries faster, last longer and looks nicer. If a curlformer install takes too long then I will try just straight perm rods and see how that goes. I imagine straight perm rods would take forever to dry or way too long to install in smaller sections :ohwell:

Blairx0

Blairx0 I think my roommate has that flat iron. What temp do you use?

I wrote a few blog post about the lazy wus i try to get straight hair because I am way too impatient. I have gone as high as 420, but if I am making small sections I do 350-375. I am not afraid of a looser curl, but I am scared of damage of splits, shedding, and breakage that comes with elasticity changes

Eboni801

First set of the year. My steps:

Prepoo with cherry lola treatment for 20 mins
Cowash with Aussie 3 minute
Leave in- kckt
Sealed with jojoba oil
I set on flexi rods using the generic Paul Mitchell setting lotion

I normally wear my sets pinned back. I use this video as a guide to switch it up
http://youtu.be/TiSqPoTsV0s. By day 5 or so I start to bun and then I wash again on day 6 or 7.

image-3102253932.jpg

This is day 3.

divinefavor

I set again yesterday and attempted do a saran wrap...it was somewhat of a fail. Maybe my hair is too short right now to do the silk wrap thing. I'll keep trying though. I think I may also need to purchase some sort wrap foam. What I did yesterday is co-washed, deep conditioned, and set using water/aloe vera juice and conditioner, sat under the dryer for about 45 minutes, took the rollers out, tried to wrap my short hair as best I could, put saran wrap on it and sat under dryer again for about 10 minutes.

This morning I awakened with a poofy mess! :lachen: So, I had to flat iron. I really want to be able to rollerset, get straight hair without having to use a flat iron afterwards.

Maybe tonight I will spritz a little bit, put a some flexi rods in and then take them out and just wear my hair curly. Arrrgggghhhh!!! I am going to master this one day, when I was relaxed I had no problems rollersetting.

missyrayne19

Thinking of doing a cheat roller set today with ponytails. Only downside to this is I add on an additional 30 or so minutes to drying time. But I'm so much faster at these too, I don't know what I wanna dooooo!

Blairx0

I set again yesterday and attempted do a saran wrap...it was somewhat of a fail. Maybe my hair is too short right now to do the silk wrap thing. I'll keep trying though. I think I may also need to purchase some sort wrap foam. What I did yesterday is co-washed, deep conditioned, and set using water/aloe vera juice and conditioner, sat under the dryer for about 45 minutes, took the rollers out, tried to wrap my short hair as best I could, put saran wrap on it and sat under dryer again for about 10 minutes.

This morning I awakened with a poofy mess! :lachen: So, I had to flat iron. I really want to be able to rollerset, get straight hair without having to use a flat iron afterwards.

Maybe tonight I will spritz a little bit, put a some flexi rods in and then take them out and just wear my hair curly. Arrrgggghhhh!!! I am going to master this one day, when I was relaxed I had no problems rollersetting.

I tired the saran wrap once and it was a hot mess. I don't think I understand it. I have yet to try again. My hair was about APL at the time

coilyhaircutie

I tired the saran wrap once and it was a hot mess. I don't think I understand it. I have yet to try again. My hair was about APL at the time

LOL. I tried the saran wrap 2 times before on my natural APL hair after a rollerset. Both times were fails. I don't know how on earth the youtube gurus do it and get silky straight hair. Must be some type of youtube black magic :lol:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Fresh wash & flexi set. I used 4 pumps of Curl Junkie's Pattern Pusha to set (for my entire head). For take down, I used a tiny amount of Darcy's Botanicals MVSC. Picture shows my hair in the sunlight and inside my house. I will wear a pineapple (as a style) for a few days then some updo's for the next 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Blairx0

After swearing to never do this again, I am once again about to set my hair too late at night.

I did a protetin and moisture dc. I am going to roll and hope Netflix keeps me company.

coilyhaircutie

girlonfire I thought I responded to this last night when I got the notification. I blame it on margarita girls night in! lmbo But thanks so much Lady!

Congratulations lulu97! Well done on making feature of the month. Although it's no surprise, with a healthy head of hair like yours. I hope to one day be past waist length too!