Sera252 Said She Would Interview!!!

swalker31

I would like to know if she has any favorite conditioner recipes she uses, or does she just buy things from the shelves?

Last edited:

mscocoface

Sera said she would be working on these and have them up soon. I think via youtube. All the questions noted above have been sent to her. If there are others I will send them to her.

Theo

I remember this chick!!! I used to stalk her fotki back when I first BC'd. Daaaaamn her hair has grown. GOLLLLLLY!!!

virtuenow

Every time she tells how long it takes to detangle her hair, I don't feel so alone. I got really frustrated last week when, after wearing my hair in protective styles for a week, it still was going to take me 4 hours to undo each twist, detangle, and retwist. But she takes much longer than even me. I just don't have the patience, though.

Thats another reason I blow dry my hair; I dont know how u guys do it. The blow dryer actually detangles my hair for me; I don't have to do anything other than let the the comb slip through my natural hair as it easily does. I'm not sure if I understand whats happening to other 4b peoples hair. No matter how tangled my hair is in its dry state; the tangles seem to disappear once I drench it in water. Besides it cuts "detangle" time down 50-75%.

Does your wet hair actually stay tangled. If so, I must have a special breed of hair. I have a very dry, coarse, hard texture w/nearly 100% shrinkage- so manual detangling is out the door.

GoldenBreeze

Thats another reason I blow dry my hair; I dont know how u guys do it. The blow dryer actually detangles my hair for me; I don't have to do anything other than let the the comb slip through my natural hair as it easily does. I'm not sure if I understand whats happening to other 4b peoples hair. No matter how tangled my hair is in its dry state; the tangles seem to disappear once I drench it in water. Besides it cuts "detangle" time down 50-75%.

Does your wet hair actually stay tangled. If so, I must have a special breed of hair. I have a very dry, coarse, hard texture w/nearly 100% shrinkage- so manual detangling is out the door.

I don't use a blow dryer, but I do detangle in the shower in about 15 to 20 mins.

tallnomad

Virtuenow--could you explain your "detangling" process? Is your hair completely wet? Do you have conditioner saturating it? Do you use a detangler product at all? And, do you start from the bottom of your hair and then gradually detangle up? Generally, how long does it take you to detangle? Do you ever have to spray certain sections of your hair with water or moisturizer to refresh as you're detangling?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

afiya27

Hi Virtuenow,

I notice that you have ~APL natural hair that is (I think) similar to mine in texture. APL is my maximal goal for length. But, unlike you, I think that, once my TWA grows out to the length, I'd like to capitalize on my shrinkage by wearing wet-set twistouts most of the time so that my ends don't dry out (given that when straightened, they'll be constantly brushed up against my shirts etc.). So my question is, where exactly does your maximum shrinkage fall? To your ear? Your chin? Shorter? Just want to get an estimate as to how mine might be...:)

Thanks!

virtuenow

Virtuenow--could you explain your "detangling" process? Is your hair completely wet? Do you have conditioner saturating it? Do you use a detangler product at all? And, do you start from the bottom of your hair and then gradually detangle up? Generally, how long does it take you to detangle? Do you ever have to spray certain sections of your hair with water or moisturizer to refresh as you're detangling?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

Yes, I start the blow dryer/comb at the tips and work my way up to the roots. I usually have medium sized twists. While still wet, I take one twist down at a time and put coconut oil (or my special mixture of shea butter/coco butter/coconut oil/jojoba & grapefruit oil- I'll explain later); then spray heat protectant. I hold my hand around the base- so as not to pull hair out from the root- or rip hair. I re-wet the hair once it starts to get dry before I blow dry.

virtuenow

Hi Virtuenow,

I notice that you have ~APL natural hair that is (I think) similar to mine in texture. APL is my maximal goal for length. But, unlike you, I think that, once my TWA grows out to the length, I'd like to capitalize on my shrinkage by wearing wet-set twistouts most of the time so that my ends don't dry out (given that when straightened, they'll be constantly brushed up against my shirts etc.). So my question is, where exactly does your maximum shrinkage fall? To your ear? Your chin? Shorter? Just want to get an estimate as to how mine might be...:)

Thanks!

IF you can do a wet set without sticky dry ends, then you are blessed. My shrinkage is at my ear. NO matter how long it gets, I still look like I have a TWA when its wet. I guess I'll post a picture of my textured TWA at some point! You may have a looser texture than mine- as do most people on lhcf.

Afiya, You do raise an interesting point, however. To avoid dry ends, I constantly rub mango butter on my ends. In fact, I have contemplated keeping a small ziploc bag of my hair butter on me at all times. My hair constantly needs moisture (you know, like jheri curl needs juice)...it begs for the moisture- and once I get it on, my hair feels and looks so good!

AfroKink

My wet hair stays tangled. Sometimes it tangles more when I wet it:spinning:

Yes, I start the blow dryer/comb at the tips and work my way up to the roots. I usually have medium sized twists. While still wet, I take one twist down at a time and put coconut oil (or my special mixture of shea butter/coco butter/coconut oil/jojoba & grapefruit oil- I'll explain later); then spray heat protectant. I hold my hand around the base- so as not to pull hair out from the root- or rip hair. I re-wet the hair once it starts to get dry before I blow dry.

I've never tried putting oil/butter on my hair before my heat protectant. I'm going to have to try it next time!

Lys

anon123

Love your hair!

Off to check out the new videos.

anon123

Hey! Yes, my wet hair stays tangled. It would be wonderful if water got rid of the tangles!

I used to blow dry. I can't really do comb attachments. They always break. The last time I used one, I had broken 2 in the last 2 weeks and I was like "forget it!" Unfortunately, the comb attachment never "slipped" through my hair. :) But I'm sure blow drying your hair does keep it from tangling quite a bit. You may think it's fairly tangled dry, but if just wetting it gets rid of the tangles, probably your hair was not that tangled to begin with, esp. since you blow dry it. My hair was less tangled when I blow dried, too, but it was also shorter because it would break off in the comb attachment and/or would be so brittle.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

virtuenow, I think we may be hair twins! My hair easily detangles when soaked with water. I refuse to go through hours of detangling. It takes me about 5-10 minutes to detangle in the shower under running water from the showerhead. I blowdry my hair too when I want to wear it stretched out.

Sera

I left a message on her yt telling her we were looking at doing a challenge and would she mind doing a interview. She said she would not mind and wanted to know the haircare site.

I am sending her that information.

Question to all of you.

What questions would you like answers to regarding her hair and her regimen that may not have been answered via her yt and fotki already?

I will see if I can put this together.

Here are the interviews with all the questions you ladies had as of the date she posted.

Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYminorry4Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud-KF1FaGgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF3hfriR9dk

Had to join LHCF after getting questions from some of the ladies here. ;)

mscocoface

Guurrrrrrl!!! You know you have made my day right?!?!?!?!?!?

You are a legend in dese parts round here!!! Welcome aboard!!!!!

Search your name and you will see errbody talks about you and your hair!!! I must admit I am one of the main parties guilty of this. I throw myself at the mercy of the court. LOL

Sera

:welcome4: Sera. I :love: your hair!

Guurrrrrrl!!! You know you have made my day right?!?!?!?!?!?

You are a legend in dese parts round here!!! Welcome aboard!!!!!

Search your name and you will see errbody talks about you and your hair!!! I must admit I am one of the main parties guilty of this. I throw myself at the mercy of the court. LOL

Thanks!!:grin: I needed to join officially after getting those questions. ;)

Will do a search, thanks for letting me know. LOL Court rules, you are free to go.

virtuenow

virtuenow, I think we may be hair twins! My hair easily detangles when soaked with water. I refuse to go through hours of detangling. It takes me about 5-10 minutes to detangle in the shower under running water from the showerhead. I blowdry my hair too when I want to wear it stretched out.

Cool, a hair twin! Poohbear, we must be a rare breed- b/c I thought everybodys natural hair detangled itself under water. I'm learning differently. You are a hair inspiration of mine - I've followed your fotki album since I discovered it a few years ago- u have great hair and style ideas! And I love that you are not afraid to take risk and you are not afraid of heat (or at least you weren't)

Had to join LHCF after getting questions from some of the ladies here. ;)

Sera, I thought you were already a member. I have been tracking your album for years too.