Self-Trimming/Dusting Layered Hair

KiSseS03

I have shoulder-length layered hair, and I'll be braiding it up for the winter in a week or two. My last trim was about 2 months ago and my ends look pretty good, so I don't want to go to a hairdresser and have her hack off more than needs to come off.

I'm wondering what technique I should use with the layers. Should I twist it up or something first?? Any comments would be greatly appreciated :D!

Millahdoowop

Hmmm... good question because I never put much thought into it. I just do it, sorry I don't have any advice.

Hair Peace

KiSseS03 said:
I have shoulder-length layered hair, and I'll be braiding it up for the winter in a week or two. My last trim was about 2 months ago and my ends look pretty good, so I don't want to go to a hairdresser and have her hack off more than needs to come off.

I'm wondering what technique I should use with the layers. Should I twist it up or something first?? Any comments would be greatly appreciated :D!

I just trimmed my layers last night. I sectioned my hair from ear to ear in the front, nape area, and then left and right. HTH:ohwell:

KiSseS03

Thanks HairPeace!

Since I'm going to be getting braids really soon, I decided I'm not gonna do a blunt trim... I'm gonna try out the twisty method to just get rid of any split ends... hopefully it works!

amy1234

I usually only dust the longest layer, because you can't really see the ends of the other layers when your hair is down. plus you can grow out your layers faster this way :)

blackbarbie

KiSseS03 said:
Thanks HairPeace!

Since I'm going to be getting braids really soon, I decided I'm not gonna do a blunt trim... I'm gonna try out the twisty method to just get rid of any split ends... hopefully it works!

What's the twisty method??

Hair Peace

KiSseS03 said:
Thanks HairPeace!

You're welcome!:)

I'll be getting kinky twists after the new year, so my hair shouldn't be "too blunt" by that time.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I read somewhere that it is best not to trim before you braid your hair. The ends will stick out of the braids causing damage to them.

CinnaMocha

nubianqt86 said:
I read somewhere that it is best not to trim before you braid your hair. The ends will stick out of the braids causing damage to them.

Been there, done that, hope not again...

czyfaith77

That is only for blunt trims.
nubianqt86 said:

Candy_C

I just section hair from the back and snip what needs snipping. i hate my layers but they are growing out , my shortest layer is near enough shoulder length. i think after then layers wont be so bad.