********Self Relaxing Tips/ Add Your Tips Here******

Lady Esquire

Would it be a good idea to base my scalp the night before my relaxer? I was thinking of using Cator oil or Coconut oil?

I base my scalp the night before with Summit Sensitive Scalp Base Creme. Then I rebase the day of relaxer. I used to get really painful scabs when I let a stylist do my hair. But ever since I have returned to self-relaxing, I have NO burns.

Baby Girl

Is it safe to relax part of your head and not the other part. For example, relaxing the back and not the front.

I have very fine hair and I think my hair has actually been over processed. I have a bald spot in the back of my head with thin edges. please offer any advice to help me grow my hair back. i have tried BT, MN, doo gro and I have gone to the dermatologist. My hair has been damaged due to glue and weaves. I am now trying to stretch my relaxer and I am thinking about self relaxing the next go around.

SleepyJean

2 Questions
Has anyone ever relaxed in 4 sections? For instance, Apply the relaxer in one section, let it process, and then rinse. You would have to do this four times.

Has anyone ever used a sillicone serum for a base? You could apply the sillicone serum in the color rinse bottle mentioned once in this thread.

I asked this in another thread, but I wasn't so sure if it would be answered.

Lady Esquire

2 Questions
Has anyone ever relaxed in 4 sections? For instance, Apply the relaxer in one section, let it process, and then rinse. You would have to do this four times.

Has anyone ever used a sillicone serum for a base? You could apply the sillicone serum in the color rinse bottle mentioned once in this thread.

I asked this in another thread, but I wasn't so sure if it would be answered.

The most I have seen is LondonDiva's technique. She has a fotki tutorial with pics, and she does hers in 3 sections. But I do not see any reason why you cannot do 4 sections. If you do decide to do 4 sections, share your results with us.

Lady Esquire

Is it safe to relax part of your head and not the other part. For example, relaxing the back and not the front.

I have very fine hair and I think my hair has actually been over processed. I have a bald spot in the back of my head with thin edges. please offer any advice to help me grow my hair back. i have tried BT, MN, doo gro and I have gone to the dermatologist. My hair has been damaged due to glue and weaves. I am now trying to stretch my relaxer and I am thinking about self relaxing the next go around.

Some people will cornrow their edges or nape, ear to ear, and exclude that area from the chemical. They often will only relax those areas every other time. It gives the damaged area a break and time to heal and grow stronger.

texasqt

You guys are really making you use my brain today :lachen::lachen:

The part about seeping into your scalp is a myth.....They say you should not start on the front because the front of your hair usually processes faster.....This is true.....Have you or seen some one try to color their hair lighter at home and the front of the hair around hair line completely comes out lighter....This is why.....The front processes faster...So if coloring especially lighter you should apply to front last....

With relaxing example your having problems with nape...so you don't want that section processing the longest...section hair in four sections....Start applying to the top sections first....Start to apply to the relaxer at the back of the top section not at hair line (going up until you reach hairline)...Just like if you started at nape .....After you do top two sections
then apply to back two sections.....

Thanks a bunch!!! and definitely right on time! I relaxed last night doing this and I have accomplished my best self-relax thus far! I usually end up being underprocessed in the crown with slick edges -lol! I sectioned off my crown area in a not-so-perfect circle. I left my edges out about 2 inches thick all the way around. I then made my four sections within the circle and relaxed that area first from the center out. I applied the relaxer to my edges (2 inch section) all the way around, did one quick smooth down, and rinsed. This is the most uniformed relaxer I have ever done! :yay: Thanks!

Last edited:

Traycee

Thanks a bunch!!! and definitely right on time! I relaxed last night doing this and I have accomplished my best self-relax thus far! I usually end up being underprocessed in the crown with slick edges -lol!
This is the most uniformed relaxer I have ever done! :yay: Thanks!
:band2::dance7:

SleepyJean

The most I have seen is LondonDiva's technique. She has a fotki tutorial with pics, and she does hers in 3 sections. But I do not see any reason why you cannot do 4 sections. If you do decide to do 4 sections, share your results with us.

Thank you for answering LE!!! Many of my questions get pushed aside. :ohwell:

Lovelylocs

Thanks Traycee........

When you say broken down, do you mean how much curl pattern is visibly left? I know when I got relaxed at a beauty school, they waited until it didn't "pop" back up when they smoothed it.

Great! Thanks for posting this! What else did you learn from them?

LadyZ

Traycee
:spank: :deadhorse: :boxing: :bat: :catfight:,
I know you fell like doing all of the above to me but I have yet another question:lachen:...
Since I will be adding oil to my Mazani Sensitive Scalp relaxer.... And the process time is 10 -15 minutes, depending on the hair type (fine, medium, coarse)... Should I just go by when my hair lays smooth?... Since the oils will slow down the breakdown process of the new growth? As Always thanks...
I feel bad asking so many questions, but I am new, so I have to ask?

Traycee

Traycee
:spank: :deadhorse: :boxing: :bat: :catfight:,
I know you fell like doing all of the above to me but I have yet another question:lachen:...
Since I will be adding oil to my Mazani Sensitive Scalp relaxer.... And the process time is 10 -15 minutes, depending on the hair type (fine, medium, coarse)... Should I just go by when my hair lays smooth?... Since the oils will slow down the breakdown process of the new growth? As Always thanks...
I feel bad asking so many questions, but I am new, so I have to ask?

:lachen::lachen:I don't mind .....Same thing applies when hair is smooth with out waves , rinse then wash...Yes adding oil will slow down process time...but I still would not recommend leaving relaxer on hair longer than the recommended time....If it says max is 15 min....then don't exceed that time , oil or not...I personally don't do the oil thing because I like my hair bone straight and I would have to leave the relaxer on even longer...I think it is more beneficial if you don't want bone straight hair or your texlaxing....

SleepyJean

I asked this question in another thread, and it offered more insight.

I totally forgot that when you relax your hair in any number of sections, you must make sure one section doesn't get wet.

For instance:

If I relaxed four sections one section at a time, I would definitely need to make sure water did not get on any of the sections to be relaxed while I'm rinsing another. I read somewhere, that you should not wet your hair before you relax.

One person suggested putting a plastic cap around the section that weren't being relaxed. I thought this was good information, because I seriously overlooked that.

Jassy28

Ok ladies I think i found a good spost to post my question. have been stetching for 12 weeks, and I am thinking about relaxing soon, because the breaking stands are long. My question is how do i prevent overlapping. I know in the past I have accidently overlapped, somtimes even getting my ends:nono:. How can I prevent this. Also, I have heard of ladies adding oils. What are the benefits of this. What kinds and how much should I use. TIA Jassy

Traycee

Ok ladies I think i found a good spost to post my question. have been stetching for 12 weeks, and I am thinking about relaxing soon, because the breaking stands are long. My question is how do i prevent overlapping. I know in the past I have accidently overlapped, somtimes even getting my ends:nono:. How can I prevent this. Also, I have heard of ladies adding oils. What are the benefits of this. What kinds and how much should I use. TIA Jassy

Thats a good question ...I used to have this problem.. I would apply only to my new growth and by the time I smooth it would be obvious I seriously overlapped.....I use touch and feel...I apply just enough relaxer to cover new growth smooth with fingers ...Using too much relaxer can cause overlapping....I use just a little to each part...If it feels like I need a little more than then I add smooth ..part and start all over again...hard to explain....

Misseyl

You can't prevent overlapping but I know if you apply profectiv (any profectiv product that says don't use it 3 days before a relaxer) on the areas where you don't want relax, it won't get relaxed..

envybeauty

I self relax from time to time.

I apply a heavy silicone product to my relaxed hair to create a buildup the day before (like silicon mix conditioner applied as a leave in). on relaxer day, apply vaseline to coat hair as well. oils seem too light to me when coating the hair. i may not prevent overlap entirely, but i make sure that any relaxer overlapped will not process much if any.

Apply oil to lye relaxers to slow down the relaxing time of that relaxer

detangle hair at least 2 days before.

base scalp with coconut oil.

relax in two sections. appply to front section first. rinse in sink. apply protein. relax back section. rinse in shower. apply protein. then neutralize whole head. proceed to deep condition.

Rapunzel2B

Tracycee,

After you do your last wash before a relaxer what do you put on your hair and roots to protect them? or do you try to put as little product as possible so it doesn't slow processing?

Jassy28

Thanks Sis, This is good advice. I notices the long stands you warned me of so I am going to relax next week. Wish me luck!

I apply a heavy silicone product to my relaxed hair to create a buildup the day before (like silicon mix conditioner applied as a leave in). on relaxer day, apply vaseline to coat hair as well. oils seem too light to me when coating the hair. i may not prevent overlap entirely, but i make sure that any relaxer overlapped will not process much if any.

relax in two sections. appply to front section first. rinse in sink. apply protein. relax back section. rinse in shower. apply protein. then neutralize whole head. proceed to deep condition.

texasqt

I thought about adding Vaseline to my relaxed ends but I applied some Chi and some of the base cream that came with the relaxer instead. I will definitely do the vaseline next time because no matter how careful I tried to be, I ended up with some very small daps of relaxer on my previously relaxed hair. I'm hoping it doesn't cause breakage in the future and I'm going to do the Big Aphogee next weekend just in case. I use to do the Big Aphogee on the same day. I wonder if I should go back to doing that.

Any suggestions? Should I do the Big Aphogee (the one that gets hard) on the same day if I suspect that I may have overlapped?

MuslimahTresses

I have another question. My neutralizing shampoo has Silk Protien in it and I wanted to use Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor after rinsing the relaxer out but beofre I neutralize. Do you think that would be too much protien in my hair?

Traycee

Tracycee,

After you do your last wash before a relaxer what do you put on your hair and roots to protect them? or do you try to put as little product as possible so it doesn't slow processing?

Yes to the bolded
Honestly ....me personally ....I have coarse hair that doesn't necessarily break down fast....so I don't really want to slow down my processing time... I also clarify a week or two prior to relaxing.....

envybeauty

I thought about adding Vaseline to my relaxed ends but I applied some Chi and some of the base cream that came with the relaxer instead. I will definitely do the vaseline next time because no matter how careful I tried to be, I ended up with some very small daps of relaxer on my previously relaxed hair. I'm hoping it doesn't cause breakage in the future and I'm going to do the Big Aphogee next weekend just in case. I use to do the Big Aphogee on the same day. I wonder if I should go back to doing that.

Any suggestions? Should I do the Big Aphogee (the one that gets hard) on the same day if I suspect that I may have overlapped?

Personally, I would consider a few factors:

1) how long you leave the relaxer in your hair. Do you texlax? relax bone straight....people leave in their relaxers for different periods of time and i don't think you will get much breakage from overlapping 5 minutes on coated hair.

2) how much overlap you get every relaxer. unless you get a good amount of new growth, like a GOOD two inches, you will overlap some. everyone overlaps unless they have a GOOD amount of new growth to work with. there are women on here who are way beyond BSL (KiniKakes, Macherie, etc.) and yet they relax like every 8-10 weeks. Even with overlap, they have LONG and healthy hair. Two months does not, IMO, produce enough new growth to prevent ANY overlap.

That said, do a protein treatment. But it does not have to be a very strong protein treatment just because you overlapped some.

IMO :look:

envybeauty

I have another question. My neutralizing shampoo has Silk Protien in it and I wanted to use Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor after rinsing the relaxer out but beofre I neutralize. Do you think that would be too much protien in my hair?

I say do it. A lot of poos have some protein in them but that is not enough especially since it is in a shampoo and not a conditioner.