Self-Relaxers Roll Call

gymfreak336

Okay, I know alot of ladies here self relax.
If you do what relaxer do you use, how long does it usually take and what is your application method (do it all at one time, split into sections.....)
Thanks

Determined22

I'm a self-relaxer.

I use ORS no-lye. I've been self-relaxer since college, so I'm used to applying pretty quickly. I base and then divide my hair in 4 sections. Usually it takes about 10-15 minutes to apply, and I use a dye/tint brush to apply.

sugarose

I use Profective. I'm not sure I do it a normal way, I start at the nape and part a section (straight across) with the end of the brush, then apply it to my roots, until I'm done with my whole head.
It takes about 5-7 minutes to apply, I leave it on for another 15.

prettywhitty

I use ORS no lye and it takes me about 30 minutes to apply. I've only self relaxed four times now, and I'm sure I'll get faster over time. I do my hair all at once after splitting into 6 sections.

trulyurangel82

Ors olive oil normal
30 minutes total. But I do my hair in halves. I do the back first which takes 15 minutes. Then I wash that it out and do the front which takes 15 minutes.

I underprocessed pretty bad last time because I used my fingers and I guess didnt get enough creame on my hair so im hoping this weeks go by fast so i can relax again lol.

Next time I will use a dye brush.

RosesBlack

I self relax and it usually takes me about 45 minutes for the whole thing start to deep con rinse out. I use Ors No lye in super. Regular left me a tad underprocessed in a couple of areas. I do my hair in about six sections because I have 3 different types of hair on my head so I do them in a particular order so no area gets burnt.

Artemis

I use Motions Oil Moisturizer in Mild. I part my hair into 4 sections and it usually takes me 15-18 min., including the application time. I use 2 dye brushes, a large one and a small one. I know some women complain a/b this brand leaving them underprocessed, but I haven't had a problem (the only time I experienced this was when I mis-calculated how much new growth I had and I missed a spot :ohwell: ). My hair is fine-textured and I protect my relaxed hair very well, and achieve really good results. My technique always gets better each time I do it, so practicing is key.

baglady215

I've been self relaxing since middle school :eek: so I've pretty much got it down to a science. I can do my whole head in under 15 minutes. But I need super to straighten and that really starts to heat up at about 15 minutes, so by the time I get done the front, it's time to rinse... no time for smoothing. So I may move to a split application, doing one half one day and the other half 3 days later.

sareca

Phyto II
11 minutes
All at once, but I make six sections (three on each side) and start with the kinkiest.

skoloco

I use Silk Elements regular, takes about 15 minutes to apply, and rinse after 22 minutes. Up until now I've done my whole head. I think I may try the half and half method the next time; I think it will allow me to take my time applying and smoothing. I've only done it twice; my second effort definitely better than the first.

Arcadian

Phyto II is my crack of choice:lol:

12 sections total :eek: But, takes 8 minutes to apply

The rest is smoothing time(I guess another 20 or so minutes..just depends on what the roots look like:lol: )

Washing time can be hella crazy. Last touchup I used I do believe a mix of acv and water after rinse out which took the place of the conditioner I use and makes washing so much easier. I'll continue that because I hated washing 10 times:mad: Suds turn white on the first wash, but I wash twice just to make sure I get everything good. I'll do a proper measuring but I think a 1:4 mixture will work quite well so thats what I'll shoot for.

I've done whole head and half head but like doing whole head better. For me that means I have to plan things ahead of time but its worth having it done and over with. I did half head when I didn't have enough to do the job UGGG!!! I got the job done but I had water everywhere.

-A