Affirm Relaxer

Cindy70

Do any of you ladies that self-relax with Affirm only use the relaxer and neutralizing shampoo and not the extras like the pre-treatment conditioner and after treatment conditioner? I like relaxers that are simple, with just the application and then neutralizing. I just wanted to get some feedback on if it's safe to do this with Affirm. Thanks!

I self relax with Affirm and I love it. Don't skip the 5 in 1 reconstructor after you rinse the relaxer out this conditioner will "normalize your hair after the relaxer" . HTH

The pre-ttreatment is to protect the hair you are not relaxing, and do not want to damage with chemical if you overlap or while rinsing. It puts a coat of conditioner on the hair which is a very good idea to do with any relaxer and you can use any conditioner as a pre-relaxer treatment.

Thanks for the responses, ladies! You've all helped alot. I might try to spare a few extra dollors for the 5 n 1 conditioner, since everyone seems to think this is a great product. :)

I self-relax using the entire system, and the Affirm system instructs that you 1) protect hair with Protecto; 2) relax; 3) rinse; 4) apply 5-n-1 ; 5) rinse, and 6)shampoo with the neutralizing shampoo. I wouldn't recommend skipping any of the steps, especially the 5-n-1. My guess is that the products in the system are all designed to work together, and cutting corners could mean damaged or breaking hair down the road. But that's just my opinion. :)

I'm 4b and used affirm for years and would strongly suggest that the entire system is used as recommended. There was thread a few months back re: thinning hair using affirm without the 5 in 1 or positve link (I don't know how to post the link here, but you can try searching for "affirm" in the title -- I think it was something like "affirm thins hair" or something like that) -- anyhow, the point was that overtime, hair MAY thin if the 5in1 or PL is not used prior to neutralizing. I really think the system was designed to work together (conditioning before neutralizing is a KEY step in the affirm process that sets it appart from the rest, IMO). If you want to just relaxd and neutralize, then use a system designed for that. If using affirm, I think it just prudent not to take chances and use as recommended. Just my two cents.

I have a question: I self relax with affirm and I thought I read that the protecto is supposed to be put on all the hair before you relax not just the ends. Atleast that's what I thought I read. So, is it supposed to be put on all of the hair or just the ends???????

DMarie

DMarie said:
I have a question: I self relax with affirm and I thought I read that the protecto is supposed to be put on all the hair before you relax not just the ends. Atleast that's what I thought I read. So, is it supposed to be put on all of the hair or just the ends???????

DMarie

That's correct. Protecto is used on all the hair, including new growth.

Thanks Rachell. I knew that's what I read in the directions but I have read several people state that it's for the already relaxed hair. I wonder what hairmaster meant by pretreatment. I initially thought she was talking about the protecto but maybe not.

DMarie

DMarie said:
Thanks Rachell. I knew that's what I read in the directions but I have read several people state that it's for the already relaxed hair. I wonder what hairmaster meant by pretreatment. I initially thought she was talking about the protecto but maybe not.

DMarie

Protecto - is for all of your hair
Preservo - is a chemical block for previously relaxed hair only

You can also get the system from www.irbysbeautysupply.com.

I relaxed someone's hair after covering it with Protecto, and I didn't like how stiff the hair dried. Her hair was almost all natural and the relaxer came out very uneven allover... some of her ends were still curly.

Next time, I'm nixing the Protecto and will use Olive oil instead. I think Protecto is good for already relaxed hair. But that's just my own experience. Also depends what strength of Affirm you're using; I use Regular.

Kitkat said:
I self-relax using the entire system, and the Affirm system instructs that you 1) protect hair with Protecto; 2) relax; 3) rinse; 4) apply 5-n-1 ; 5) rinse, and 6)shampoo with the neutralizing shampoo. I wouldn't recommend skipping any of the steps, especially the 5-n-1. My guess is that the products in the system are all designed to work together, and cutting corners could mean damaged or breaking hair down the road. But that's just my opinion. :)

Where do you purchase all of the parts to the affirm system? I was checking out sheldeez and they do not seem to carry the protecto. I am currently using the phytorelaxer, I am happy with it. However, I have been reading Shamboosie's book and he is scaring me with all the negative talk about no-lye relaxers. I was just wondering for maybe future reference. I plan on giving the phyto three uses before I make my final decision. I have already used it once and I plan to relax again after about 12 weeks - near the end of July begining of August.

LiqueXX said:
Bumping to find out where to purchase Affirm Protecto.

Not sure if you got an answer, but if you order the tub of Affirm through irbysbeautysupply.com, it comes with a small bottle (8oz?) of Protecto. Otherwise, I hear that Vaseline can do the job just as well.

Back