For the Self-Relaxers.....

Energee

Okay, I'm thinking about becoming a TOTAL DIY'er. I want to attempt to do my next relaxer myself in 9 weeks...(I have done it long ago with those terrible box perms but haven't done it in so long that I think I've forgotten how...lol). Anyway, I'd like to know what type of relaxers work best for you? Right now my stylist has been using Mizani Butter Blend..and I'm okay with it but not IN LOVE:nono:. It's just okay..nothing special about it. I've seen some mention Affirm. Can you use Mizani and then switch to Affirm? Any other recommendations for relaxers? What about Phyto?

I'd also like to know where you purchase your products from? Also, any good fotki tutorials for self-relaxing?

I have plenty of time to practice application with conditioner (like someone here suggested before) before my next relaxer is due. If I get it right the first time I don't think I will ever go back to a salon again....LOL. I have all the products I need at home...better ones than the stylist and I also have my Pibbs...so if I can do my own relaxer..I'll be more than good:yep:.

TIA for any help!

ravenmerlita

I use Affirm Fiberguard Lye that I bought online from Sheldeez.com. I bought the whole system -- relaxer, conditioner and neutralizer. It works really well.

Energee

I use Affirm Fiberguard Lye that I bought online from Sheldeez.com. I bought the whole system -- relaxer, conditioner and neutralizer. It works really well.

Thanks Ravenmerlita! Do you know if I can use Affirm--even if I am not using Mizani (Lye). I guess a Lye is a Lye...lol right and I should be able to switch over without any damage to my hair......

Energee

Thank you so much Nix! You are such a sweetheart to pull those threads up. This will be so helpful to me. I'm going to subscribe to those threads right now:yep:.

ravenmerlita

Thanks Ravenmerlita! Do you know if I can use Affirm--even if I am not using Mizani (Lye). I guess a Lye is a Lye...lol right and I should be able to switch over without any damage to my hair......

I believe that a lye is a lye :drunk:. I didn't have any problem when I switched to the Affirm. I don't know the brand of my last relaxer but I know it was lye.