Self-braiders -- how do you get the parts straight and braid the back of your head?

Nonie

jamiette said:
This probably won't help you much but I don't get the parts straight when I braid my hair (especially when doing micros). I have found that most of the styles I wwaer my braids in dont require that the parts be perfect. I used to do the mirror propping but it became TOO time consuming, by the time I got the braids done it was time to take them out.
I really focus on getting the top and side parts straight. Actually the more that I braided my hair, the better I became at making them neater. Just keep practicing and you will get better over time. Its amazing cause even when used to think that I did a crappy job on them I had people asking for the number of my stylist. Just keep practicing girl, Cause like Yokourt said, it definitely does pay off in the end. Not only does it feel good to say that you did it yourself, but it also feels good when you think about all that money you saved.
I'm Jamiette. The only thing I do is I try to part diagonals instead of horizontals and verticals. If my head was a compass, I first part create four parts NW to SE and NE to SW. Of course the section of the part towards the back won't be straight coz I only use a front mirror to make sure the front is straight. I then put the four sections except the back one in square plaits. Then I start to make partings parallel to the center to SW part and divide that with partings parallel to the center to SE part. (I'm probably making this sound more complicated than it is. But basically, instead of making squares, I make diamond shapes, so that braids in each row kinda cover the spaces between the braids in the previous row. Of course they aren't straight, but no one can see that with the hair disguise.)

BTW, nice braids ladies. Ajargon, I love braidouts on braids too and love the mixed hair do.

prettyblac

Ladies can I get a group hug :) I keep failing at braiding my hair. I'm going to attempt again to braid one box braid/dookie braid
can one of you experienced ladies help me with doing a box braid with extension. I just want to do 10 braids twist into a top knot and pin it. That's it! Can I get some love! please Thanks ladies any examples you know of or if you could explain I'll pick it up I'm having problems adding the hair. Once I can master that I'm set. Thanks ladies in advance any and all help is appreciated.

tryn2growmyhair

prettyblac said:
Ladies can I get a group hug :) I keep failing at braiding my hair. I'm going to attempt again to braid one box braid/dookie braid
can one of you experienced ladies help me with doing a box braid with extension. I just want to do 10 braids twist into a top knot and pin it. That's it! Can I get some love! please Thanks ladies any examples you know of or if you could explain I'll pick it up I'm having problems adding the hair. Once I can master that I'm set. Thanks ladies in advance any and all help is appreciated.
Can you describe what you are doing? This might help the experts to help you and help people, like me, who are just starting out, to know what not to do.

Height

Re: Self-braiders -- how do you get the parts straight and braid the back of your hea

Does anyone know how long the braid instructions on growafrohairlong has been down or if it will ever come back up?

Nonie

prettyblac said:

:kisses: (Couldn't find the group hug graemlin). Most people do their extensions by wrapping the hair piece around the base of the hair before braiding. I do mine differently so I hope my directions don't confuse you. But you can see how I do mine in this thread.

prettyblac

Your the shiz nits I have paid 99.00 for a braid video and couldn't get the technique and I picked yours up pretty good I just have one question and this will help me perfect my braid Ok once i overloop the extension hair and I have the three parts now the thinnest of the three is in my right hand thumb and index finger and the other two in my left now at the intersection of the extension hair I place that at the base of my hair in the back divide my hair in 3 sections with the partners and start the braid? is that correct or do you put the thin piece in the middle to begin the braid it's hard to see how you attach the hair. One more thing how do you part your hair.I going to learn how to do my hair so I can be free of hair dressers and just do me. Thanks again for all your gracious help I'm real excited because I think I'm getting this. WOW!

tryn2growmyhair

Nonie said:
:kisses: (Couldn't find the group hug graemlin). Most people do their extensions by wrapping the hair piece around the base of the hair before braiding. I do mine differently so I hope my directions don't confuse you. But you can see how I do mine in this thread.
I looked at that thread and I am still confused. Do you have anymore advice? Thanks a million.