Secular Music sang to God

HeChangedMyName

Have you ever sang a secular song and while it may have had a natural meaning, you felt that the song moved your spirit to feel closer to God? Right now I am listening to Chrisette Michele "Your Joy" The song is one of my favorites. God is my father and this song is how I feel about him. He is my daddy. I am his little girl.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eYfj3wei3X0

mrselle

I don’t know that I sing secular songs to God, but right before I got saved God was really speaking to me about giving my life to Him and sometimes He would use songs to get my attention. One song He put in my spirit was the song by Freddie Jackson. I think it’s called “Have You Ever Loved Somebody”. The lyrics that stood out to me were

You keep running, running away
I know you can’t run forever.
You think you’re headed for heartbreak again
Just as you did before.

I can teach you how to love again.
If you just trust in me.
I can show you things you’ve never seen.
You don’t know how much you’re missing.

When you think that it’s safe, girl
Just take a look around
I’ll be right there
Behind you.
There’s nothing to fear, no
‘Cause I could never hurt you
I think the world about you
Can you learn to love me too?

I got teary eyed just typing that.

Ms.Honey

For You by Kenny Lattimore http://youtube.com/watch?v=uCW2rtN6a2c
That's how I knew I was in love with Jesus.

For you I give a lifetime of stablility, anything you want of me, nothing is
impossible
For you there are no words or ways to show my love or all the thoughts
I'm thinking of
'Cause this life is no good alone since we've become one I've made a
change
Everything I do now makes sense, all roads end, all I do is for you

For you I share the cup of love that overflows and anyone who knows us
knows that I would change all faults I have
For you there is no low or high or in between of my heart that you
haven't seen
'Cause I share all I have and am, nothing I've said is hard to understand
And all I feel I feel deeper still and always will all this love is for you

Every note that I play, every word I might say, every melody I feel
Are only for you and your appeal
Every page that I write, everyday of my life would not be filled without
the things
That my love for you now brings

For you I make a promise of fidelity, now and for eternity
No one could replace this vow
For you I'd take your hand and heart and everything and add to them a
wedding ring
'Cause this life is no good alone, since we've become one you're all I know
And if this feeling should leave I'd die and here's why
All I am is for you

Everything I do now makes sense, all roads end all I do...
Is for you
Only for you

Glib Gurl

Absolutely! Back in the 80s, I remember playing the song "You're the Inspiration" in church (mostly because it's one of the few church-appropriate songs I knew on the piano *lol*) but the lyrics could definitely have a spiritual meaning.

One of my favorite songs these days is "I Wanna Thank You" by Darlene McCoy. The original song always made reference to God, but she changed up the lyrics to make it more explicitly about Jesus. Know that I *will* be dancing to this song (at least the original!) at my wedding!

ETA - Ooh, another great one is Cheryl Pepsi Riley's remake of Joan Osborne's "One of us" ("What if God was one of us? Just a slob like one of us . . . .") When the song first came out it was very cynical and not reverential at all, but Cheryl turned it into a praise jam! It's on the soundtrack to "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" - highly recommended!

Last edited:

NGraceO

Yes, I have definetly done this. Music is a passion o mines, but God is my bigger passion, so I always have to stay on guard about what music I allow into my Spirit. In this, a lot of secular songs I touch are ones I can relate back to my God....another way to serenade Him, if you will. I guess that goes for some Love song. I know when i first heard "no air" by jordin sparks I thought of how backwards it ws to think another human could be like the air you breath. The only Man that holds that much a spot in my Life is JESUS CHRIST (or so I am trying to make it that way), so whenever I hear that song, I think of how if Jesus ever left me (which i kno he wont, of course) it would be like having "no air." Jesus is the air I breath. Also I did the same w/ Alcia Key's song "No one..." it fits so perfectly!!

HeChangedMyName

Yes, I have definetly done this. Music is a passion o mines, but God is my bigger passion, so I always have to stay on guard about what music I allow into my Spirit. In this, a lot of secular songs I touch are ones I can relate back to my God....another way to serenade Him, if you will. I guess that goes for some Love song. I know when i first heard "no air" by jordin sparks I thought of how backwards it ws to think another human could be like the air you breath. The only Man that holds that much a spot in my Life is JESUS CHRIST (or so I am trying to make it that way), so whenever I hear that song, I think of how if Jesus ever left me (which i kno he wont, of course) it would be like having "no air." Jesus is the air I breath. Also I did the same w/ Alcia Key's song "No one..." it fits so perfectly!!

Meeeee Toooooo.