R&B love songs

sweetkita4

What are your thoughts on listening to secular love songs? I knows its not right to listen to anything that doesn't edify the spirit and thats why I don't listen to rap or things of that nature but I was told by an associate that it would still be wrong for me to listen to secular love songs. That if I want to listen to a song about love, just listen to gospel and thats all I would need:ohwell:. I told her I would feel weird thinking about or being with my husband with a song talking about Jesus (maybe I'm just weird, lol) So I just wanted to know everyone elses thoughts on the situation.

I thought about this too the other day, I think alot of the songs wouldn't be considered appropriate because they may not be referring to husband/wife, just bf/gf but still includes things of a sexual nature. But what if they are just talking about love between a man and a woman, could you listen to that with your husband? LOL I don't even know why I am asking this, I am not married. But just a thought. I saw a thread earlier which had some christian love songs that people were saying were good.

Like what would you listen to at your wedding reception? All gospel? I listen to gospel mainly after watching Craig Lewis' truth about hip hop but like you said I was wondering if you were married what would be ok.

Last edited:
I thought about this too the other day, I think alot of the songs wouldn't be considered appropriate because they may not be referring to husband/wife, just bf/gf but still includes things of a sexual nature. But what if they are just talking about love between a man and a woman, could you listen to that with your husband? LOL I don't even know why I am asking this, I am not married. But just a thought. I saw a thread earlier which had some christian love songs that people were saying were good.

Like what would you listen to at your wedding reception? All gospel? I listen to gospel mainly after watching Craig Lewis' truth about hip hop but like you said I was wondering if you were married what would be ok.

I can understand where you're coming from but what about applying the words of the song to a husband/wife? Lol, idk, I'm confused

I may be an odd one out for this, but Luther, and a few others and my husband have some great moments together, praise the Lord. It's an appropriate use of certain songs. Sensual music can be wonderful enhancement to your marriage relationship. I think it would be different if I were up fantasizing about other men while listening to these artists.

This is just my personal opinion. Do as you are led.

BTW, I'm not talking about those nasty graphic songs, I'm talking about love songs that leave something to the imagination.

What are your thoughts on listening to secular love songs? I knows its not right to listen to anything that doesn't edify the spirit and thats why I don't listen to rap or things of that nature but I was told by an associate that it would still be wrong for me to listen to secular love songs. That if I want to listen to a song about love, just listen to gospel and thats all I would need:ohwell:. I told her I would feel weird thinking about or being with my husband with a song talking about Jesus (maybe I'm just weird, lol) So I just wanted to know everyone elses thoughts on the situation.

Do you only watch TV shows, read books, talk to friends, attend meetings, etc. that edify the Spirit? My somewhat facetious question also has a serious intent. I may prompt some banter here, but here's my rule of thumb (not saying anyone else should live this way, this is just how I live). The Spirit is my Guide as well as my Comforter. As my Guide, the Holy Spirit invokes my guilty conscience and convicts me when I am engaging in activity that is against God.

That said, I believe that God has blessed us with the creativity to express ourselves and our love for others in various medium...songs, poems, greeting cards, etc. If Luther, Will Downing, Anita Baker and the like sing songs that make you think of your husband in a loving way, GREAT! Whether the writer wrote it with boyfriend, girlfriend or whatever in mind is irrelevant, for the most part, as you don't always know what the writer's intentions were. Conversely, if that song leads your mind to lust after the guy next door and you are married, maybe you should change the channel. LOL

I guess what I'm saying is I believe God wants us to celebrate our love for our loved ones. However, if you find that you are feeling guilty or that you are having "unnatural" thoughts or feelings, perhaps that activity should be avoided. I should also mention that I am not married.

Hope this makes sense to someone other than me. :rolleyes:

Do you only watch TV shows, read books, talk to friends, attend meetings, etc. that edify the Spirit? My somewhat facetious question also has a serious intent. I may prompt some banter here, but here's my rule of thumb (not saying anyone else should live this way, this is just how I live). The Spirit is my Guide as well as my Comforter. As my Guide, the Holy Spirit invokes my guilty conscience and convicts me when I am engaging in activity that is against God.

That said, I believe that God has blessed us with the creativity to express ourselves and our love for others in various medium...songs, poems, greeting cards, etc. If Luther, Will Downing, Anita Baker and the like sing songs that make you think of your husband in a loving way, GREAT! Whether the writer wrote it with boyfriend, girlfriend or whatever in mind is irrelevant, for the most part, as you don't always know what the writer's intentions were. Conversely, if that song leads your mind to lust after the guy next door and you are married, maybe you should change the channel. LOL

I guess what I'm saying is I believe God wants us to celebrate our love for our loved ones. However, if you find that you are feeling guilty or that you are having "unnatural" thoughts or feelings, perhaps that activity should be avoided. I should also mention that I am not married.

Lol, it makes sense to me :yep:. Maybe I didn't express myself right on the first part (I seem to have a hard time time doing that over the net) but I do the same thing when it comes to what I watch and listen to. I just said rap because I don't really listen to it but I do listen to r&b, love songs mostly and I love the oldies, lol. I didn't even think about it until my friend said something and I wondered if others shared the same views.

Lol, it makes sense to me :yep:. Maybe I didn't express myself right on the first part (I seem to have a hard time time doing that over the net) but I do the same thing when it comes to what I watch and listen to. I just said rap because I don't really listen to it but I do listen to r&b, love songs mostly and I love the oldies, lol. I didn't even think about it until my friend said something and I wondered if others shared the same views.

I just re-read your first post. I think you did just fine expressing yourself. :yep: I should've worded my post as more of a response to your friend's views. It's funny how there are several gospel songs that are derived from secular songs, however, I would definitely feel funny about replacing Jesus with someone else. :look:

I agree with all of you, I mainly listen to gospel music but I also listen to some secular artist like Luther, Anita, Stevie Wonder, etc. As long as the song is not totally just talkin about bumpin and grindin and so on I think its appropiate, but it really just depends on the song.:yep:

I couldn't had said it any better than you. An older minister told my husband who enjoys listening to classic music that he was going to hell for listeining to that type of music well all along she is looking at soap operas and such.

Back