Seborrheic dermatitis, Dandruff, Dry Scalp & Natural Hair How do you wear your hair??

sistatv

For years I've been battling with Seborrheic Dermatitis. After much trial and error and DRAMA I have found that for me the thing that works best to control my outbreaks is stress relief, frequent washing, and apple cider vinegar rinses.

I am in a very stressful time :nono: in my life and I am working on getting everything resolved:amen: but in the meantime I find myself in the midst of some TERRIBLE flare-ups. :perplexed

I don't have time to do the whole several hour wash and detangle routine every 3 days.

So I'm looking for minimum maintenance hairstyles that I can wash and do an apple cider vinegar rinse every 3-4 days to a week that can still hold up and allow me to keep it cayute. Fantasy world would be something could wash everyday if needed.

I can't do wash and go's. I can't just cowash. Two strand twists make me look like who did it and what for. I have fine hair. So couple that with the SD and frequent washings I don't want to be constantly manipulating my hair. I need to be able to be cute and ready for anything at a moments notice. Chile... So many issues... But I know one of ya'll can help me. PLEASE.

:grouphug:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/seborrheic-dermatitis/DS00984

sistatv

Re: Seborrheic dermatitis, Dandruff, Dry Scalp & Natural Hair How do you wear your ha

Can you wear wigs?

Oh yes! hair4romheaven Wigs are definitely in the repertoire but I would like to have something more permanent. Also how can I wear my hair underneath the wigs?

Braids? But what kind of braids can I wash with that kind of frequency and have them still look good? Yarn braids? Box? HELP!

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Re: Seborrheic dermatitis, Dandruff, Dry Scalp & Natural Hair How do you wear your ha

I know it's different, but I've had pretty moderate to almost severe scalp eczema since birth. Mine is both genetic and due to allergies, such as dairy will flare me up real quick along with stress, very cold or very hot weather, and poor eating habits also most hair products (especially shampoo and some conditioners and leave-ins) caused massive flares.

Have you found other factors in diet maybe that may contribute to flares? I know the Omegas/fish oil are excellent in healing these kinds of skin disorders as well.

Other than braids with extensions, sengalese twists with extensions, perfecting the wash and go, I can't think of other styles for naturals that can withstand that amount of washing. Trust me, with my eczema, I've tried them all.

My go-to is a twist out with a high puff or wash n go with a high puff. It's relatively quick and easy. Oh and my hair is fine AND low density. Styling aint easy.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.

Oh wait! Crochet braids. They could buy you at a few weeks at a time. :) I got an install in right now!

They're fast to put in. You got great access to your scalp to wash and M/S. Love these!

hair4romheaven

Girl I'm wl & love to wear my wigs out of convenience. I wear my hair in twist or braids underneath. I wash or co wash 2x a week with the twist or braids still in. I take them down once a month & redo. So easy & convenient.
Try it I'm sure you'll love it!

Oh yes! hair4romheaven Wigs are definitely in the repertoire but I would like to have something more permanent. Also how can I wear my hair underneath the wigs?

Braids? But what kind of braids can I wash with that kind of frequency and have them still look good? Yarn braids? Box? HELP!

sistatv

Thank you ladies :hug:

Oh wait! Crochet braids. They could buy you at a few weeks at a time. :) I got an install in right now!
They're fast to put in. You got great access to your scalp to wash and M/S. Love these!

@DarkJoy The eczema thing seems very similar. Thank you for your help, girl! I was thinking box braids with extension but do you think the washing so often might be too much?

I thought you couldn't wash crochet braids!! This might work! What kind of hair do you use? I assume synthetic right? You can wash it regularly?I was doing buns but I think the ecostyler gel has started to aggravate the condition. Any gel reccs?

Also you are right about the diet. I'm trying to eat cleaner and have been moving to lactose free items as well. I hope it aint dairy though... I love cheese.:look:

Girl I'm wl & love to wear my wigs out of convenience. I wear my hair in twist or braids underneath. I wash or co wash 2x a week with the twist or braids still in. I take them down once a month & redo. So easy & convenient.
Try it I'm sure you'll love it!

hair4romheaven GIRL!! I love wigs... You are right about so easy and convient. In my detective work to get to the bottom of the SD I started thinking that the sweating underneath the wigs might be making the SD worse so that's another reason why I'm trying to lay off. I'm on Kanye's Workout plan so I'm working out and sweating a lot more! Congrats on WL!! I'm trying to get this damn SD under control so I can be rocking long hair with you!

hair4romheaven

I go to the gym errday girl. I co wash when I get home. After working out I take off my scarf while I shower & get dressed to let my hair dry out a little then throw on another scarf then wig. Sometimes I may water rinse at the gym but I don't like soaking wet hair under the wig so I stopped that. I haven't had any issues yet. No itchies or smelly hair

shtow

I've tried everything except steroids and like my doc, who has SD advised me, everything works and then stops working! My sister and I have both had it 11 years with no long term success. Each time a remedy works it lasts a month or so and it's back with a vengeance.

I've given up.

What I do now to look presentable is the following. I wear my hair straight. Wrapping will lift the flakes causing them to become visible from all the combing and brushing. So I pin curl, loose or tight depending on the style. I can pin curl so it looks like a wrap or rollover set. If I notice the white patches around my hairline I apply any light oil directly to the patch and it's no longer noticeable. Sometimes I'll let the oil loosen it and carefully lift the patch with a comb. Sometimes I'll let rub the oil gently and leave it be since it's no longer white and patchy. I normally have to do this to the patchy area a few times a week.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.

Thank you ladies :hug:

@DarkJoy The eczema thing seems very similar. Thank you for your help, girl! I was thinking box braids with extension but do you think the washing so often might be too much?

I thought you couldn't wash crochet braids!! This might work! What kind of hair do you use? I assume synthetic right? You can wash it regularly?I was doing buns but I think the ecostyler gel has started to aggravate the condition. Any gel reccs?

Also you are right about the diet. I'm trying to eat cleaner and have been moving to lactose free items as well. I hope it aint dairy though... I love cheese.:look:

@hair4romheaven GIRL!! I love wigs... You are right about so easy and convient. In my detective work to get to the bottom of the SD I started thinking that the sweating underneath the wigs might be making the SD worse so that's another reason why I'm trying to lay off. I'm on Kanye's Workout plan so I'm working out and sweating a lot more! Congrats on WL!! I'm trying to get this damn SD under control so I can be rocking long hair with you!
sistatv, well, the braids might not last you 2 months if you're washing all the time but a month in between installs in better than doing your hair everyday.

Giiiirrrrl, I wash my crochets 2-3x a week! Usually a co-wash or diluted shampoo. Then seal. No, they dont last too long. 3 weeks tops but even the buildup of butters, etc can make me itch and scab if not careful.

To get around the dairy reaction,cuz I cant give up ice cream :nono::look: taking an allergy med like claritin keeps flares down. However, I got my ice cream binges down to once a week so I'm not gobbling the bad stuff daily.

My main advice is to avoid using chemical-heavy leave-in products. My body (and maybe yours) was just allergic to all that. A rinse out condish and DC seems fine but to leave it in for hours/days is bad mojo:ohwell:. I got into a cycle of styling (leave-in, gel, stylers), pain, shampoo (short-term relief then aggravated it), pain, shampoo over and over. BTW, ALL GELS just jack me up too, esp Eco (which also makes my hair break off :sad:). burning spots, scaly spots, scabs, flaking skin. yuck.

Now its diluted shampoo 2x a month. Looking back, I realize I had a detox period for lack of better term when I gave up shampoo and had more scabs and pain then ever. Then it just stopped. Started using teas and ayurvedic powders since LHCF and only had like 2 flare-ups and those were from stress and/or chemical-heavy products.

Mostly to style now I just use shea and coco butter mix and grease. Almost eczema-free now. My 7yo DD is free too now and it was on her FACE. The docs kept prescribing steroids and I was like no... too strong for a 2yo! Mostly natural relieves the problems.

Once you get it down it's not as time consumming and it's cheaper.

The road is bumpy, but worth it!

sistatv

I've tried everything except steroids and like my doc, who has SD advised me, everything works and then stops working! My sister and I have both had it 11 years with no long term success. Each time a remedy works it lasts a month or so and it's back with a vengeance.

I've given up.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF
:nono::nono::nono:

shtow Girl... We can over come.... I'm right there with you though... How often do you wash and straighten? And what do you wash with? It seems like its soo time consuming to be washing ans straightening very often. I want to be hair lazy and this damn SD is killing my vibe... LOL

Last edited:

sistatv

@sistatv, well, the braids might not last you 2 months if you're washing all the time but a month in between installs in better than doing your hair everyday.

Giiiirrrrl, I wash my crochets 2-3x a week! Usually a co-wash or diluted shampoo. Then seal. No, they dont last too long. 3 weeks tops but even the buildup of butters, etc can make me itch and scab if not careful.

To get around the dairy reaction,cuz I cant give up ice cream :nono::look: taking an allergy med like claritin keeps flares down. However, I got my ice cream binges down to once a week so I'm not gobbling the bad stuff daily.

My main advice is to avoid using chemical-heavy leave-in products. My body (and maybe yours) was just allergic to all that. A rinse out condish and DC seems fine but to leave it in for hours/days is bad mojo:ohwell:. I got into a cycle of styling (leave-in, gel, stylers), pain, shampoo (short-term relief then aggravated it), pain, shampoo over and over. BTW, ALL GELS just jack me up too, esp Eco (which also makes my hair break off :sad:). burning spots, scaly spots, scabs, flaking skin. yuck.

Now its diluted shampoo 2x a month. Looking back, I realize I had a detox period for lack of better term when I gave up shampoo and had more scabs and pain then ever. Then it just stopped. Started using teas and ayurvedic powders since LHCF and only had like 2 flare-ups and those were from stress and/or chemical-heavy products.

Mostly to style now I just use shea and coco butter mix and grease. Almost eczema-free now. My 7yo DD is free too now and it was on her FACE. The docs kept prescribing steroids and I was like no... too strong for a 2yo! Mostly natural relieves the problems.

Once you get it down it's not as time consumming and it's cheaper.

The road is bumpy, but worth it!

DarkJoy Thank you so much for this advice... I'm leaving the gels alone. I'm hoping this is just a big detox period and I'll be out of the worst of it :pray:

I'm going to look at the teas rinse etc you mentioned? Which specific ayurvedic powders have you found success with. Is vatika oil ayurvedic? I got some of that chilling in the drawer...:yep:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.

Yes, Vatika Oil is Ayurvedic! I use it too as a pre-poo from time to time. :)

@sistatv, I started one at time with each this pretty much this order: nettle, burdock, bamboo, oolong. Teas. There were many others I tried that my scalp or hair did not like :nono: Pretty much I stick with the above now.

Just make a cup as if you're going to drink it and either pour it on before DC and put DC on top or use as a final rinse. Since my scalp and hair can not tolerate leave-in condish, I make a spray bottle of teas and oils to moisturize my hair throughout the week before sealing with a shea/cocoa butter mix.

Ayurvedic powders are: shikakai, tulsi (holy basil), amla, neem. I highly recommend neem as it's antibacterial and might help your scalp. It really helped mine. You can join us in the Coffee, Tea, Ayurvedic thread for lots of ideas and how to use these.

Last edited:

shtow

:nono::nono::nono:

shtow Girl... We can over come.... I'm right there with you though... How often do you wash and straighten? And what do you wash with? It seems like its soo time consuming to be washing ans straightening very often. I want to be hair lazy and this damn SD is killing my vibe... LOL

I wash and straighten once a week. If my scalp weren't so bad I could go two weeks because my hair still looks and feels good *sigh* I use Shea Moisture African Black soap deep cleansing shampoo and DC with the purification masque.

sharifeh

I'm having terrible scalp issues too :( its bad
Dry flaky itchy , my hair doesn't last longer than a week before I need to wash again...

nickmack

Hey sistatv!

Apologising in in advance for typos. I'm on my Tab and I really need to reinstall SwiftKey. :grin:

I have seborrheic dermatitis too. I can wear just about any hairstyles I want to! however there are several precautions I have to consider.

1 Clean scalp- with the exception of my dermatologist's sulfur scalp scalp blend, nothing is applied to my scalp. The more buildup accumulated from oils, conditioners and stuff, the more my scalp spazzes out

2 Cleansing - I work out several times a week so I cant allow my hair and scalp to get/stay sweaty for too long. If I do cowash I make sure not to get too much product on my scalp. I hate the medicated shampoos that some doctors put you on, I use Giovannni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo once a week or I altermate with Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo. I wash my hair every week. This prevents me from having to contend with itchiness or a scalp situation !

3 Styles - I loooooove a good weave. I also love braids! Whem it comes to braids, I soak the braid hair in either ACV or regular vinegar to get rid of the alkaline base that contributes to itchiness before installing.

If Im wearing styles using my own hair, as long as I keep my scalp clean and use the sulfur blend, I can go for two weeks weeks without washing. But I like washing my hair lol, so I don't. Sulfur is AMAZING for us seb derm girls. Its a godsend. I really don't think oils help us. Especially if if we're flaring up!

This week I'm wearing my hair flat ironed. Again, clean scalp + moisturisers applied to the hair and not the scalp make a a world of difference.

I recently had a bad flare up. Minimal flaking, itchiness, hair shed (like WHOA) and scalp tenderness. My dermatologist put me on two weeks of antibiotics recently to calm amd eliminate a flare up. I think it's doxycycline. I also got a cream consisting of ketoconazole, triamcinolone and lactic acid to apply to my scalp whenever I have itchiness or pain.

I hope this helps. If you need more info, please mention me! :yep:

Last edited:

randi415

I'm having a horrible flare up at the moment bumping this thread causer is like to know how ladies clear their scalps and also how you get the flakes out of your hair. Last night before Co washing I applied some grapeseed oil that I mix with tea tree oil to my scalp. I let the oil mix sit and then gently lifted the nasty flakes with a fine tooth comb but after rinsing forever I still had to pick flakes from my hair.

I've dealt with SD since I was in high school and as a couple ladies have mentioned nothing works for more than a few months so I have many things in heavy rotation for my scalp and face. About a year ago I stopped using any hair or body products that weren't all or mostly natural and this had helped a little.

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony

I haven't been officially diagnosed with SD but I'm pretty sure I have it. So far, the only product that seems to be breaking down the scaling/flakes for me is Shea Moisture African Black Soap Body Wash. I wanted to try the shampoo but couldn't find it. I tried ordering it, via Walgreens online, and it was out of stock. That T-Gel doesn't get rid of my build up but it does calm my scalp. It's just now dawning on me that the same skin issues I have on my body are also occurring on my scalp duh lol. Good luck ladies.

felic1

Hello Everyone!I have been having an out break after spending nearly 6 weeks in some cornrows. My scalp is really inflamed. I shampooed with SM African black soap dilutes. This morning I moisturized with eden bodyworks tea tree milk. That was so soothing. I have a bottle of nizoral shampoo at home. I am going to use it and spend some time with it on and a deep conditioner under the dryer. Hope this helps someone!:yep:

randi415

After I postedd the other day about my SD issue I stayed reading some articles online and I found a few things about raw honey for treating SD. Immediately I grabbed some out the cabinet and applied it to the problem areas on my face, left it on overnight and was very pleased with the results. So I decided to DC with some on my scalp, so far so good. The itchiness ceased instantly and I don't have any white patches this morning. I'm going to start doing this to my scalp 2x a week (weekends when I wash and DC and during my mid week Co wash) and on my face every other day. Honey is surprisingly very easy to rinse.

Last edited:

randi415

grownwomanaz & felic1 SM purification masque is a great pre poo for scalp conditions. Most wash days I use this and right before I rinse it I rub/scratch my scalp with my fingers it cleanses and soothes the scalp really well. The scalp spray from this line works really well too.

Snuckles

randi415 very sorry, I meant to reply to you over the weekend about the raw honey. I also wanted to be able to provide links (which I still don't have BTW, :lol:). But you should be able to GOOGLE this based on the information I'm about to give you :yep:

Basically, I'm currently trying the raw honey treatment. I've been mixing 1 tablespoon with a couple of drops of water (just enough to make the honey more pliable) and applying it to my scalp. I let it sit on my scalp for 3 hours before washing it off. I have been doing this just about every other day for the month of April. According to what I read, you need to do this every other day for a month, then once a week for maintenance.

Hold on, let me review my email for some links . . .

Okay, take a look at these links.

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Ros...matitis-with-raw-honey-and-virgin-coconut-oil

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11485891

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/ho...druff-scaly-itchy-scalp-seborrheic-dermatitis

http://foreverconscious.com/raw-honey-treats-dandruff-and-dermatitis

http://walktheline.hubpages.com/hub/I-Finally-Found-A-Cure-For-Seborrheic-Dermatitis

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlt...orrheic-dermatitis-raw-honey-treatment-3.html

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Ros...elates-to-the-production-of-Hydrogen-Peroxide

felic1

I did a treatment yesterday with slightly dilutes nizoral shampoo to the scalp. I applied NG marshmallow root conditioner and critical care repair masque to the strands and ends. I got under the dryer for about an hour and washed it out. I then applied NG herbal blends and sunflower oil and went under the dryer 15 minutes. I have to rinse this out and then I will do one more!

randi415

Snuckles Thank you for that info I will be reading them all on my train ride home!

Does the raw honey seem to be working? I really want to try this daily but I don't know what I'd do to my hair for work. I have 4z hair lol I guess I could put it in a puff but I don't want to put too much stress on my edges. Welp guess this is a good time to master the wash n go.