**Dermatitis & More Support Thread**

leigh.hill

I wanted to start this thread, because I have noticed that I am not the only one on this site with a skin condition. In my case, I have seborrheic dermatitis. This thread is not intended to substitute for medical advice - I thought it would be great if we could share our experiences with skin conditions that affect our scalps, how we have treat them, how it impacts our hair growth, etc.

Here is a definition from the mayo clinic:

Seborrheic (seb-o-REE-ik ) dermatitis is a common skin disorder that mainly affects the scalp, causing scaly, itchy, red skin and stubborn dandruff. For infants, seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp is known as cradle cap. Seborrheic dermatitis can also affect the face, upper chest, back and other oily areas of the body.

Seborrheic dermatitis isn't harmful, but it can be uncomfortable and unsightly. You may be able to treat seborrheic dermatitis yourself by recognizing its signs and symptoms and by using a combination of self-care steps and over-the-counter (nonprescription) medications.

My dermatitis is pretty much under control now. If my scalp is feeling itchy (my SB is concentrated at the top of my head), I will apply Neutrogena T-Sal shampoo to that area, let it sit for 3 minutes, rinse and repeat (these are the directions). BTW - I used to shampoo my whole head with T-Gel shampoo and not follow up for a moisturizing shampoo - talk about DRY hair. Okay, after the shampoo, I put a little avocado oil on the area. Itch goes away. I used to use a medicated ointment from the dermalogist, but since I moved to a warmer, more humid climate, the itch is not as severe as when I lived in PA.

Please share your experience, tips, advice, etc., with a scalp condition. I hope this thread helps.

Last edited:

BonBon

I don't know if I had what you have but my scalp was black with inflammation and I had dandruff for about a year or two. I used this Zambesia scalp application 2x per day for 2 weeks and my scalp is now brown with no dandruff ever since. If I have a flare up I will use this again.

I'm sure it was eczema as I have eczema and inflammation on my body.

Last edited:

Vashti

Eczema is the Devil. Thankfully I know how to keep mine away now. I had eczema everywhere it seemed but my face and head.

NaturalBoss

I had a very bad case of seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp. I used Jason's Tea Tree Oil shampoo (the one w/ neem and msm in it) and it helped. I also used an rx called ketaconazole that helped. I haven't had anymore problems after using the rx and the shampoo.

leigh.hill

I was thinking about ordering a hair growth serum with MSM from beemine, so I did a quick google search about MSM. I had no idea what it was, but quickly discovered that MSM helps reduce dermatitis. I ended up getting a different hairgrowth serum that contained sulfur. Another ingredient that helps reduce dermatitis.

From EHow.com:

MSM supplements
MSM is a natural sulfide that works in the hair by lengthening the growth cycle, repairing damaged follicles and adding strength to the hair. Use MSM supplements in the form of powders, tablets and capsules according to the product label to treat seborrheic dermatitis in the hair and improve overall hair health

isawstars

I have it. It was really bad 5 years ago... like unsightly like you stated :nono: i saw a dermatologist who prescribed Loprox shampoo, it helped immensely. I only used it for 2 years though. I've been using products with tea tree oil and peppermint oil to keep it under control. Kera Care's Dry & Itchy Scalp line helped a lot! Sometimes I would even add tea tree oil/peppermint in my favorite shampoos. I now use Hair One's Tea Tree Oil since it's sulfate free.

I've started using Bee Mine's scalp moisturizer for "sensitive scalps." It's supposed to help with SB and other scalp conditioners... I can't give a review just yet though. But so far I haven't noticed much of a difference.

leigh.hill

I almost ordered the beemine for sensitive scalps, but decided to be "bold" and got the fragrance bee serum, since it did contain sulfate which is good for dermatitis. No review for me either since I don't have it yet. Love, love, love the dry & itchy scalp from Keracare. I never thought to add oil to it.

I use the Keracare sulfate fee shampoo, but you got me thinking about switching to one with tea tree oil in it. hmmmmm

ladysaraii

I have dermatitis as well.

At one point it had gone away, I was using my MN mix sulfur & tea tree oil

I would like to find a way to keep it at bay w/o the MN. I want to try adding some tea tree oil to my shampoo to see if that helps.

leigh.hill

I like the avocado oil on my scalp/areas that itch, but I am always open for suggestions to keep it at bay too. What is MN?

leigh.hill

I had a very bad case of seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp. I used Jason's Tea Tree Oil shampoo (the one w/ neem and msm in it) and it helped. I also used an rx called ketaconazole that helped. I haven't had anymore problems after using the rx and the shampoo.

Oh I have seen this brand before, but did not pay any attention to it. Oh boy, just when I said I was not going to buy anymore products...:nono:

silenttullip

I have it too but for me chagrin valley poo bars made the redness from the inflammation go away and I mean it was in my scalp and all across my hairline. I no longer use the stuff doctors suggestion because ketaconozole made me loose a lot of hair. t gel and selsun blue just stripped my scalp and I had to use more 3 days later. Now I can usually go 7-14 days in fall and winter and 5-10 days in spring and summer. I guess my scalp sweats and produces more sebum in the warmer months. I also installed a filter which helps some. As for putting things on my scalp the doctors told me to keep anything away from my scalp that just lead to dryness under the oiliness I use the doo gro without mineral for the itching or qhemet's teatree and grapseed or my own tea tree, jojoba, lavender, and grapeseed mix to spray. Any of those help a lot with the crust or flakes. I no longer get the weeping sores and those things use to bleed cause I couldn't stop scratching. Whats helped the most is rubbing instead of scratching and using leave in conditioners or conditioner far away from my scalp. It's still annoying but it's progress to me. I'm going to try that Zambesia scalp application to see how it works too. Also using only human hair wigs instead of synthetic has helped a lot.

morehairplease

Another seborrheic dermatitis suffer checking in.My regimen isn't set in stone but am happy to say that I have not had any flare ups in quite some time. I attribute this to using Claudie's sulfur based scalp elixir, miconazole nitrate, and cleansing my scalp every other day.

Last edited:

sithembile

This is a good thread OP. I have been struggling with an itchiness, flakes and soreness mainly in my crown area. I was using Nizoral (OTC) and then switched to Neutrogena T-Gel last week. These are so drying to my hair and I find the need to use them 3 days later. Last week I experimented with mixing my T-gel with Elasta QP creme conditioning shampoo and this was better for my hair. I'm going to follow the OP's advice and only use it in the affected areas.

I was also thinking of cowashing with Keracare dry itchy scalp conditioner and then following up with another moisturising conditioner to avoid having to use shampoo more than once a week. I've tried frequent cowashing in the past but my scalp suffered, do any of you have success with cowashing and what do you use?

sithembile

Another seborrheic dermatitis suffering checking in.My regimen isn't set in stone but am happy to say that I have not had any flare ups in quite some time. I attribute this to using Claudie's sulfur based scalp elixir, miconazole nitrate, and cleansing my scalp every other day.

This product sounds interesting, I'll check it out although I've never been able to tolerate anything on my scalp. Do you cleanse your scalp with shampoo or just water?

Mleah

Another sufferer here. I've tried the ketocanazole preparations, tea tree and neem oil with mediocre results. When it started to creep onto my face I got desperate and found that Bragg's apple cider vinegar helps alot. I keep a half water and vinegar solution in the shower and it goes on my face after I wash (don't open your eyes) and on my scalp after conditioning. Leave on several minutes. It closes the hair cuticle as well. No worries, the smell does not last.

Mad Scientist

ugh, had it for a while in middle school, but my mom or anyone else didn't know what to do. Thought it was just dandruff...so that was fun. You know...kids are so nice about stuff like that. But I haven't had a flare up on my scalp for a while so I'm glad you ladies are posting in here. I used a shampoo prescribed from a dermatologist..I'ma try to get the name of it.

I have a question though: Do any of you ladies have contact dermatitis on your hands? I've had it for a while. Thought I was getting it from dish soap, but I think I'm getting it from my hair products too.

Blessed&higlyflavoured

I have eczema all over my body. it itches something rotten.
to soothe the itching, i use eurax on my scalp ( it works all over as well). It works instantly
a gentle shampoo that i like to use is elasta qp creme conditioning shampoo. Greasing my scalp with castor oil or Vaseline helps with the dryness on eczema