sealing your ends/regimen

kaytorry

When you seal your "ends", how far up your hair do you go? do you seal only your actual ends?, Or do you go further than that? When sealing, I seal from my earlobes to the actual ends with jojoba oil. How about you? what is your sealing regimen? also, when do you know whether to seal with a heavier, thicker oil or a lighter, thinner oil ? please share...

RoseTintedCheeks

I seal the last 3 inches of my hair then rub whatever product is left through the rest of my hair. Right now, I really like avocado oil because it's so light. My hair gets weighted down if I use something heavy like castor oil.

tiffjust2002

I seal about the last 3 inches or so like the others and run the rest through out my hair. In the winter I seal with a butter and during the summer months I seal with a light oil like Avocado Oil or EVOO.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Lighter or heavier oils depend on your individual strands, health of the ends, and hairstyle choices. I'm a fine haired natural, and I like to seal my ends with a heavy oil (I prefer castor). I usually have my hair in twists, so the heaviness doesn't bother me or the style. I also seal about 3-4 inches of 'ends'.

kupenda

I'm relaxed. I usually seal the last three 3 inches of hair. I use castor oil when I get deeper into my stretch. Or if my hair isn't feeling soft or holding moisture. Which reminds me...time for a DC! yumm

ETA: but I use jojoba and grapeseed in the first few weeks after a relaxer or after getting a particular style that I want to last. Right now I'm onto castor oil and preparing for my relaxer in late august or early September

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

PJaye

Every wash day, I seal my entire head using a castor oil mixture (a large castor base with other oils added).

HauteHippie

I'm relaxed. I usually seal the last three 3 inches of hair. I use castor oil when I get deeper into my stretch. Or if my hair isn't feeling soft or holding moisture. Which reminds me...time for a DC! yumm

ETA: but I use jojoba and grapeseed in the first few weeks after a relaxer or after getting a particular style that I want to last. Right now I'm onto castor oil and preparing for my relaxer in late august or early September

Oooh, I think this is what I'll start doing. I only seal the last inch or so now and am noticing that I may need to use a different type of oil at various points.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

Mische

I moisturize and seal in sections and each section gets sealed with oil from root to tip. This is especially important for me as I get further into my relaxer stretch.

kaytorry

Great responses everybody! I thought I was the only one that sealed a little more than the ends!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I rarely seal but when I do, I apply it to the ends (from tips to about 3 or 4 inches up the shaft) first and rub the remainder on the length.

Jewell

@BraunSugar

Same here! I just washed and cond. in these Senegalese twists (w. extensions), and had to move boxes in the closet to find my hair container w. the old Blue Magic in it! I put argan oil gel for hold (my hair is curly and the curls come out of the twists, which are Afro Kinky hair), then I slathered on Blue Magic from root to end (where my hair ends, cuz the twist extensions are much longer). I will still seal from root to tip to prevent frizz and moisture loss when I'm not in an install.

I'll be using Blue Magic, Castor Oil/Shea Butter pomade, Coconut oil pomade, etc and whatever other GREASE or pomade I have on hand to seal from now on. I find my hair just sucks up the natural oils, and ends up dry and kind of frizzy right after I have dc'd and sealed with them!

I didn't know the oils were the problem (that they were being absorbed and not sealing in much moisture) until I saw Bublin's thread about "Heavy Sealing" for dry hair...and then I remembered the great results I had when I used to seal w. Castor Oil and Blue Magic.

I will just use those natural oils underneath the heavier pomades so I still get the benefits from ceramides. Plus, I LOVE the smell and texture of grease like Blue Magic and Royal Crown (Dax too).:lick:

Last edited:

Lucia

After I moisturize then I seal with evoo SFO then when baggying I follow up w east African Shea butter. I go from root to ends with oils just the entire length w butters.

biancaantoinette

I do the last two inches of my hair with jojoba oil mixed with a tiny bit of shea.

do you all just moisturize with water? what are you using?? I was using aloe with distilled water but its drying

Lucia

I do the last two inches of my hair with jojoba oil mixed with a tiny bit of shea.

do you all just moisturize with water? what are you using?? I was using aloe with distilled water but its drying

I use avj w water or just water to dampen then conditioner then oils then if Im bagging Shea butter
What happened with the avj did you get ssks or crunchiness?

kupenda

I can't use avj as a moisturizer. It makes my hair hard and brittle feeling, crunchy. It tangles a little