I am a bit confused re: treating my ends at night

northernbelle

I read on another post that as part of the night time routine, many of the posters stated that they moisturise their ends, followed by sealing the ends with a little oil.

What is the purpose of this two-step process?

Also, if I am using a product such as ORS Carrot Oil on my ends, do I need to seal the ends with yet additional oil?

I await your replies.

Thank you!

northernbelle

Tracy

If you're using something where water is the first ingredient, it can be good to add some oil on the ends to counteract dryness that might ensue when the water in the moisturizer of choice evaporates.

So in answer to your question - yes - you should follow with an additional light oil.

This water based moisturizer thing is only true of some people tho. Additionally, if you don't like oil, serums will work to seal the ends after using a moisturizer as well. All silicone is, is a light synthetic oil.

Leslie_C

an oil or a serum helps to hold the moisture in your hair bc it acts as a barrier. you dont necessarily have to use an oil on the ends, but it does help most people retain the moisture.

SweetNic_JA

You can apply a bit of shea butter if you find that you don't like the oil or serum. I personally don't have a preference between oil or shea butter but the shea butter gives me moisture without excessive oiliness.

northernbelle

Re: I am a bit confused re: treating my ends at ni

Thank you, ladies, for your feedback. It was very informative.

northernbelle