Scalp Itch. . . HELP

Tee

I am trying not to wash my hair as often as I am doing. But it seems if I am not washing it every other day, it itch like crazy.

Do you ladies know of anything I can do or put on my scalp to help with the itching. I hate to jump in the shower and just wash it. (since I just washed it) I know there has to be something else to help with the itch.

Any advice??

ladybug71

I'm curious about this too. I have been having the same problem. I washed a few days ago, now it's itching like crazy!

Arcadian

So many things could be making your scalp itch, its kind of hard to know where to start.

But, could be that you're having an allergic reaction or your scalp is dry as those are usually two of the more common issues. I get kinda itchy when I'm going through growth spurts as well so dunno, could be that too.

What does your scalp look like? is it scaly, do you see small white flakes? that can be caused by extreme dryness which a moisterizer could probably help with.

If you have like thick yellow stuff, then that would need a trip to the dermatologist.

When I was trying stuff during a pretty intense experimental phase I would sometimes get a really funky rash on my scalp..that was just an allergic reaction but at the same time it itched like MAD!

Instead of washing with shampoo, maybe you should try a cowash instead? If your scalp is dry it may be extremly beneficial. Plus it gives you a break from using shampoo which can also be drying too.

If you use hairsprays or gels, maybe its time to give them a break. Some topicals (sulfer seems to be a culprit) can make people have some scalp problems too, as can some types of shampoos. I limit SLS products to only around relax time (no help for it unfortunately) because I can have not so nice reactions to products containing it.

Try ruling out certain things to see if maybe something your using topically could be the cause. If you're not getting relief though you may need to just see a dermatologist.

HTH

-A

Also if you itch, maybe a scalp massage can also help.

Tee

thanks for your post. I am not putting anything on my scalp. I dont have white or yellow flakes.

I guess I will pull out the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree and see if that helps anything.

Thanks for your reply.

**I use no gels or hairspray.**

I did get some really bad chemical burns at my last relaxer. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

danimani

I do H20 rinses on the days I don't co-wash or wash. My hair loves the water and it's really cut down on the itching. I used to scratch so much because of the dry scalp. My scalp hasn't been dry since I began H20 rinses and airdrying two months ago.

Tee

danimani said:
I do H20 rinses on the days I don't co-wash or wash. My hair loves the water and it's really cut down on the itching. I used to scratch so much because of the dry scalp. My scalp hasn't been dry since I began H20 rinses and airdrying two months ago.

I am glad you mentioned this. I really think this is the deal. I think my hair (scalp) is just so use to the water and the massage from washing. I did co-wash for a full week and stopped. But I had no problems while co-washing. Now I am back to washing every 2 or 3 days and my scalp is going crazy. If it a growth spur, then I am glad but can't stand the itchy. I will just wash in the morning. My head has been killing me all day. (migraine)

gymfreak336

Don't forget that product build-up can cause MAJOR scalp itch. I used to wonder why my scalp would start itching like crazy about 4 weeks after my relaxer. I thought it was because I needed another one because my itching would go away after I relaxed. It was because the relaxer stripped all of the build-up from my hair. I would try buying a scalp stimulating shampoo mix it with some water in a squirt bottle. In the shower just apply it to your scalp and let it sit for a 2-3 minutes then add water and pull the suds down the length of your hair. Then condition as usual. This helps me from ripping my scalp to shreds when it starts to itch. I use ORS Shampoo or DAX shampoo for guys because it clears out all of the junk. Also make sure you are getting enough zinc in your diet. Topical zinc helps ease the itches and getting enough zinc internally helps you scalp as well. - Hope this helps

Tee

gymfreak336 said:
Don't forget that product build-up can cause MAJOR scalp itch. I used to wonder why my scalp would start itching like crazy about 4 weeks after my relaxer. I thought it was because I needed another one because my itching would go away after I relaxed. It was because the relaxer stripped all of the build-up from my hair. I would try buying a scalp stimulating shampoo mix it with some water in a squirt bottle. In the shower just apply it to your scalp and let it sit for a 2-3 minutes then add water and pull the suds down the length of your hair. Then condition as usual. This helps me from ripping my scalp to shreds when it starts to itch. I use ORS Shampoo or DAX shampoo for guys because it clears out all of the junk. Also make sure you are getting enough zinc in your diet. Topical zinc helps ease the itches and getting enough zinc internally helps you scalp as well. - Hope this helps

Thanks. Esp the Zinc tip. :thumbsup:

Tee

Recherch鮂eauty said:
I had the same problem a few days ago...my head would itch like crazy, I just clarified and my problems went away

The same thing for me. Once I wash it. It is fine. I just dont want to wash every day.

Thanks for your reply.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I had this problem big time and my scalp was just REAAAAAAAAAAALLY dry. I started using deep conditioning treatments and drinking alot (ALOT) of water and it's made a big difference.

Another thing.... try noticing/logging what you've used when it itches alot. I had some products that caused me some serious misery. When I quit using anything with honey in it, it helped too. It's weird though.... I can eat it.... I just can't put it on my skin.

Tee

ILuvsmuhgrass said:
I had this problem big time and my scalp was just REAAAAAAAAAAALLY dry. I started using deep conditioning treatments and drinking alot (ALOT) of water and it's made a big difference.

Another thing.... try noticing/logging what you've used when it itches alot. I had some products that caused me some serious misery. When I quit using anything with honey in it, it helped too. It's weird though.... I can eat it.... I just can't put it on my skin.

Oh Thanks! I will do that. (write it down) I need to pick up my H2O again also. :perplexed

Tee

bumping for MsShay.

*I use braid spray now. It help solve the problem with itch.

MzShay

Thanks again Letitia! After reading the post I'm starting to think its the honey that triggered it since I hadn't tried anything different besides that...oh well I'll ex that out of my regimen and see what happens.

MizzBrown

I get the itchies too! I use Peppermint oil and Tea Tree oil diluted w/ jojoba oil or any other oil I'm using and oil my scalp with it. Has natural antifungus properties.The peppermint oil smells great and it causes a tingling sensation which makes u feel like its working.

Natural way of helping dry scalp, dandruff, itchies. I put mix the oil with my conditioner too as a treatment to help with the itching.

mrsbookworm

Thanks for this post. I have the itching problem and it is a result of a dry scalp. I will try this. My hair stylist also told me to use a minimal amount of Keracare Dry and Itchy Scalp Glossifier on my scalp once a week. We'll see . . .